Back & Neck Community
After Tummy Tuck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

After Tummy Tuck

I had a tummy tuck Aug. 16th,   my recovery has been fine with normal discomfort.  Drains removed and incision looks great.   Off pain meds. by day three, and only Tylenol since. I have a small redness and slight infection to the belly buttom which is getting better.   I have been standing erect for about two weeks with general walking.  My only discomfort has been sleeping.  The recommendation to sleep on my back with legs and upper elevated, this caused some pressure to my low back.   The inital week after surgery without standing erect caused my back some severe pain in the muscles for supporting my body.    
Two days ago, I started experiencing a severe burning and tearing pain just below the incision on the right side next to the public bone.    This radiates down the inside of my right thigh.   When I straighten my right leg it causes extreme pain in those areas.    There is also discomfort on the right side of my low back.    My doctor said that it could be.  the nerves coming back awake.    
I was told by a Chiropractor a couple of years ago.  That I have one lower joint that has a slight compression.       Could this be the Sciatic nerve or Fermoral?           I'm frustrated because I've done so well since the initial surgery.    I have started taking Motrin to hopefully relieve any inflammation.                Any suggestions?           Thank you
I too had a tummy tuck on July 24 of this year. The surgery went very well and everything seems to be healing fast and looking great. I only had two problems, one was I broke out in an awful rash on my lower abdominals and it spread onto both of my upper thighs. With some steroids for a week, it went away. However, it left some scarring as if it had been burned. This is also fading well. The other problem I had was a slight pain in my left leg and lower back. At the time I didn't know what it was. I reviewed some of my paperwork from the surgery and thought I had developed blood clots because the sysmptoms were very similar to what I was going through. Ironically, I was on my way for a follow-up and spoke with my doctor about it. She indicated that there were no blood clots, so I was left thinking what is it. I thought it was just stiff because I hadn't exercised in a while. I'm a workout buff and just thought that was it. Then one day a light bulb went off. I wondered could this pain in my back be from the repositioning of my body after my tummy tuck? I went to my primary care physician and he diagnosed me with having Sciatica-I said what? I did more research and discovered that Sciatica develops from pressure on the spine which is causing that pain on my sicatic nerve which runs from the lower back all the way down both legs. I also experienced tingling in my left foot. I was prescribed, Ibuprofen, hot and cold press and several exercises to do twice a day. I did this religiously for weeks. I was then prescirbed steroids for two weeks and it seemed to be getting better. Then one day on my way to work it hit me like a brick. It felt like someone was taking the inside of my leg and balling it up and crushing on it. I went home and have been home ever since. Only two weeks. You see it hurts to sit for a long period of time and it hurts when I drive long distance. Well how about I work 45 minutes away with traffic which is every day and I have a sit down job. Therefore, I can't go to work. It is really hard to type standing up unless your computer is on a bar which is where I am now standing up. I will get a MRI on Monday and will probably need an epidural steroid injection to relieve the pain. This will not fix the problem and I do not want to rely on injections for the rest of my life. SO, I also have an appointment with a doctor at the Virginia Back Institue concerning Spinal Decompression which helps the problem and not mask the pain. This is suppose to be a natural healing therapy that will relieve the pressure off the spine and there is no pain and no injections and no surgery. Check it out! Well, I thought I was the only one sufferig from this, come to find out it's very common. I hope this information helps you and you can contact me for more information at swjames2527yahoo.com.
I am so happy to hear that I am not alone with having lower back pain after a tummy tuck.  My pain is suppressed with pain medication but I want to know if it's going to go away. Any answeres?  
Hi! I recently had a tummy tuck...nearing the 6 week mark now, and am experiencing lower back and abdominal cramping, pain, discomfort, etc.  I tried to pass it off as normal, but it continues.  The weird part is, it occurs most frequently at night, but not a lot during the day. I am not sure why, and am thinking I should probably call the doctor.  Any thoughts? I have also experienced pain after eating and a lot of constipation and bowel issues.  I have been off of the pain meds for almost 4 weeks now, but have to take motrin or tylenol daily to relieve some of the additional cramping and pain.  Any suggestions? Thanks! :)
relax. your boby is in a healing state. I recomend lots of sleep/rest, mellow tv ...alkaline foods..and walking a little here and their...can you get someone to grocery shop for you for two weeks? I've had some major suggery and it takes a few  weeks...especially since you use your stomach muscles all day being in movement. so take it easy.
I had a tummy tuck done on May 16, 2008. I was sore as expected from the surgery lower abs and the drains were uncomfortable, but besides that I healed up good. My stomach is still a little sensitive and tight, then one month after having to walk with my back some what bent over I developed sciatica and still have it. I have experienced it in both legs. The pain is worse when I try and stand for long period . I am a hair stylist.....I have had to sit down to do some of my work. I am suppose to have spinal decompression tommorow. Wish me luck. I am so tired of being in pain all day, every day.
I had my mini tuck with liposuction almost 2weeks ago and still in alote of discomfort! my problem is redness like burn marks on my hips what is that caused by? My main concern is my sister she also had surgery tummy tuck but after 2 weeks she just started with a fever and blister above the surgery has any one had this??? I just talk to her this morning and she still has fever ? she saw her Dr and he said nothing wrong except she probably is sensitive to the gauze place on surgery sight that probably caused blisters !!! that does not make any sense to me (fever with a surgey sounds really seriouse to me )
My wife in July 2005. She has had off and on back pain for a long time but after the TT it became a 24/7 thing. It has advanced to chronic pain and the doctors finally put her on percocet for the pain. She has been to countless number of doctors with no results. This has finally become debilitating, and now the doctors have given up, and decided to wean her off the percocet.

She can no longer work, so our business is suffering (as is she). Home life is nil, the last drugs the doctors gave her to help her get off the percocet puts her to sleep, so she's sleeping 18 hours a day +.

They've given up trying to find the source of her pain, but she can't go on like this. ANY suggestions as far as finding the cause of this pain would be very very much appreciated - just because the doctors have given up, I haven't.

Anyone have a great back or pain doctor???  

***@****
I have a question. Maybe someone can help. I am about to have a tummy tuck. I am small framed and have been very thin most of my life. i am in my 50's now. I have had a large stomach bulge since I was 30. I does not matter if I weigh 115 or 140. I still have the bulge. I have not had children, so I can't blame it on that. I have always been very physical, not at all lazy. Exercise of any kind did not help. I am told I have the stomach muscles of someone who has had 3 or 4 kids. How did that happen. I thought a little Lipo would take care of it, but surgeon says muscle must be repaired to get rid of bulge. Does this make sense
I had a tummy tuck on 10/24/11. I am still not healing the proper way. When I went back to my PS he removed the bandages for the first tiime and I had a huge blister from my belly button the cut on my bikini line. I have had to go see him every other day for him to keep an eye on this. It has turned black and is discusting.  I trusted him because in 04 I had my bags under my eyes removed and some skin removed from the eye lid and everything went great.  I am really concerned about the black area as I have heard of having to remove it and leaving a gapping hole in your stomach for months. Has this happened to anyone else? Please let me know what happened to you, and are you left with a  huge scar from a burn like condition?
I had a Penni (tummy tuck) November 6th and I can't straighten up my back now.  I try and it hurts to stand up for even 20 minutes.  Has anyone had this problem?
wondering if this has gotten better?...i have the same problem...back muscle pain after standing and unable to stand erect
I'm curious has your back improved? I just got tummy tuck 6days ago and my back aches a lot.
I had some occasional back pain prior to my tummy tuck 8 years ago. Since the surgery, the pain has been more chronic. I believe part of it is that my core strength has been greatly diminished. I have always worked out regularly, but the pain prevents me from doing a lot of everyday activities. I suggest your wife read Back RX by Dr. Vijay Vad. I went to see Dr. Vad, and he suggested that I walk at least 30 minutes everyday, and take natural anti-imflammatory supplements. The book is excellent, and teaches you how to slowly regain your core strength...which directly affects your back. Hope this helps!!!