Back & Neck Community
All of a Sudden, I Cant Walk!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

All of a Sudden, I Cant Walk!

Up to 2 weeks ago, I was running six miles 3 times a week. Now I can barely walk.
Two weeks ago, a running partner took me on an extra-difficult route that was mostly long slow uphills. The next day I woke up and couldnt move, I had pain throughout my whole back but centered in the lower back.
I waited and it got better. But the feeling that I was "out of alignment" persisted. Yesterday I felt like I was almost back to normal.
But then today I woke up and the pain was so great that I had to go to the emergency room and I can barely walk.
I dont understand whats wrong. Why would it seem almost better and then get so bad?
The doctor took x-rays and said they looked normal.
The pain now is all in my right lower back and my leg (thigh). I cant walk on it and i cant stand straight, my upper body is pushed out forward and to the left and crooked with my lower body.
About two years ago, I strained my back on the other (left) side and pinched a nerve and received workers comp and some massage and physical therapy for a month. I also get occasional lower back pain if i have to bend down too much or sit too much or stand too much. If I am sitting for a long time, I will sometimes get a tingling right in the middle of my back like if you hit your funny bone but not as strong. But mostly its been fine until this run i had 2 weeks ago.
I'm hoping somebody can give me an idea of whats going on because i am so confused and frustrated.
anybody can help?
Talk to your doctor about epidurals done with x-ray. They're done outpatient and with light sedation, but they REALLY decrease any inflammation in the area around the affected nerve(s). I suffered similar problems. If you have a bulging disk, this will make room for the disk to ooze back into its place. Importantly, ask your doctor. He/She will be more specific about the details. If they don' know, ask for a referral to that type of specialist.
ok i'll ask him but i doubt my insurance will cover that.
so you think something is inflamed and pushing the disc out?
Are discs made of bone or cartilege?
disks are soft jelly-like substance that act as "shock absorbers" between your vertabrae (which are bone). You can google "herniated disks" and you will find information or google any part of the spine and that will provide information too about disks. If you are referred by your primary care physician to a doctor that specializes in x-ray type epidurals, your insurance should honor it. After your doctor has recommended a pain specialist or more, ask the specialists receptionist if they accept your insurance carrier.
I have had similar problems and I can give up a couple of suggestions. I actually have had 2 surgeries, one for 2 ruptured discs in my neck and another for a very serious rupture of thoracic discs in my midback.  I still have a herniated disc in my lower back .  So as you can imagine I am working at everything I can to keep what I have left. First I would not have believed it but I have had excellent care with a good Chiropractor and also Acupunture to relieve pain rather than only narcotics. Both have helped me immensely. I would make sure that your Chiropractor uses an adjudcater not manipulations. It is a little tool that gently pushes the disc back in place and in my opinion much safer than full manipulations. Although a good Chiropractor can do either. I just feel safer with the first. I also have used a belt that has magnets in it with ice packs. It amazingly decreases the swelling around the joints in the spine so that things go back into place. The belt works wonderfully.  The last suggestion is a book by Robin McKenzie that is called "Treat your Own Back"  and then there is one for the neck. I am not sure but I would think you can get if from Amazon.com.  When my back is really bad,I can barely stand and it hurts so bad in my lower back as well as my legs that I want to cry. I can use the belt and the pain goes away within an hour and I am able to do what ever I need to do. It is so important that you remain active. Walking is your best bet and you may be able to get back to running but walking is wonderful. This is all my opinion from my own research and opinion. Hope it helps.
i fel ova in sport n smashed my back on the floore,at the bottom near my bum i feel sharp pains walking,sitting,standing and especially bending or straining its awful-help!
Barbie,  what type of surgery have you had in neck and thorasic.  Was it fusion withhardware?  I agree with you on the McKenzie exercises as well as walking.  I have a bilateral osteophytes and stenosis at c5/6 for many years, but recently been having a lot of dizziness & feeling unbalanced issues so walking is hard for me now.  We are talking surgery now but can not decide yet between artificial disc replacement or Fusion or lamino-foranatomy to clear the osteophyte. Thanks