Back & Neck Community
An explanation of diagnosis PLEASE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

An explanation of diagnosis PLEASE

I had back surgery due to lifting/pulling at work.  The location was L5-S1.  I returned for follow-up due to I was still experiencing pain and having extreme difficulty working.  The finding is as follows:

FINDINGS:
L5-S1: A small Schmorl node invaginates the inferior endplate of L5.  There is desiccation of the disc, mild retrolisthesis, and shallow mised biforaminal protrusions with a superimposed central bulge.  There is scattered enhancement of this central posterior bulge consistent with postsurgical granulation tissue.  There is also mild to moderate facet arthropathy and capsulosynovitis resulting in mild bilateral exiting neural forminal stenosis with abutment of the exiting left L5 nerve and abutment of the exiting right L5 nerve root laterally.  There is suggestion of a left-sided hemilaminectomy with enhancing granulation tissue within the left  lateral recess surrounding the descending left S1 nerve.
CONCLUSION:
The dominant finding is noted at the L5-S1 level with a left-sided hemilaminectomy.  There are shallow mixed biforaminal protrusions and a partially enhancing central disc bulge.  There is also enhancement within the left lateral recess surrounding the descending left S1 nerve.  There is also mild to moderate facet arthropathy contributing to mild bilateral exiting neural foraminal stenosis with abutment of bilateral exiting L5 nerves.

I would greatly appreciate this being put in "layman" terms for me so that I have a better understanding of my condition and can get the help I need.