Anterior/Posterior Lumbar Fusion Surgery Questions
Hi, I'm seventeen years old and have been dealing with severe pain from spinal bifida and spondylolisthesis on l5/s1. I've been through two attempts of bracing the injury, both times for six months. It apparently did nothing for me except make me look as if I was wearing a jet pack around campus. I also have went through a physical therapy program which I believe only further worsened my symptoms. My surgeon had me go through injection therapy recently and that did absolutely nothing, again just worsening my already unbearable symptoms. I have these very painful, sharp jolts of pain in my back, a constant ache, and spasms, as well as nerve compression. My left leg goes completely numb throughout the day, has sharp pain from hip to toes, and also goes weak. Right now, I am planning on having surgery in May, I've discussed the pros and cons with my surgeon and parents and I believe it's the right choice. My life now is at a standstill. I go to college, come home from class, and lay down. That's my day. I aspire to be a surgeon myself and really do not see any way I will be able to achieve this goal without the surgery. What I want to know is post-op information. I've watched multiple videos of the surgery itself, read hundreds of articles, but nothing will compare to the story of someone who has endured this. If anyone has been through this surgery or something similar, please share your story.

Thanks in advance,
Samant
Hey Samant!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation; though with the symptom description, it is likely for the condition to have progressed with further degeneration and/ or neural involvement. Surgical/ interventional measures may be advisable since there is possible neural involvement and conservative management does not seem to have helped; while the expected prognosis may vary depending on the primary situation/ severity of the condition, the type of surgery etc. It is best advised to discuss the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!