Back & Neck Community
Any treatments for chronic coccydinia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Any treatments for chronic coccydinia?

I took a hard fall to my tail bone around 8 years ago and other than the initial pain from the fall, had no problems.  A couple years after, I started having severe pain whenever I sat for more than about 45 minutes.  I've been dealing with this ever since.  I have had x rays, an MRI, many rectal exams, and a cortisone shot and got nowhere.  I've been to the doctor many times and all they suggest is more cortisone (which did not work).  I have several tail bone cushions but the pain is still unacceptable.  I can't go for a drive, watch a movie, and sometimes even sit through a 50 minute class without this severe pain.

I believe the problem is an unstable coccyx since I can feel it moving when I sit for too long.  Does anyone know of any effective treatments short of removing the coccyx?  I can't remember what it feels like to go for one day without pain.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
I had an accupuncturist in hollywood who spent 3 hours on me doing cupping and regular accupunccture but the final 15 minutes really helped ... one needle in the right side of the base of the tailbone, one in the elbow, and one in the hand.  15 mins of that and I felt great for 3 days.  It came back however but not in full force.  I will go back again but it's too expensive for me (80 bucks).  I also saw a pelvic floor specialist who seems to have vast knowledge on the issue but my insurance doesnt cover her either.  I think both have solid potential to helping me.

The cortisone shot i had didnt help but i didnt do it under x-ray ... I have another one set up for july 29th if the treatments i have in the meantime are not effective.
I have two posturpedic pillows that have tailbone holes (relaxtheback)... one for work and one for the car.  I'd probably have noticed the problem sooner if not for it.  

It's odd to me that you cant jog or run but im assuming that has to do with the positioning of the coccyx since mine is bent forward and to the right.

I can sprint straight ahead without issue BUT I can't throw a baseball without getting zapped (well I can sometimes by balancing on my left leg).  I also can't kick a soccer ball or throw a football.  Most of my problems are bending to the left especially while picking something up with any weight.  Fatigue plays a large role as well.

I have a tempurpedic pad on my mattress that I normally dont put on but in this situation I thought it may help.  I however feel much better (well no real pain) in the morning with my tailbone BUT really stiff in my lower back.

Have either of you gotten an in depth diagnosis as to how your tailbone is causing you issue?
my sister started feeling this outrageous pain after falling down twice..
She insists that the pain she feels gets worse than before she can't even sit properly because of the pain she feels what do you think had happened?