Back & Neck Community
Back Bone on the L2, L3

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back Bone on the L2, L3

A few years ago I fell and hurt my lower back, hospital did nothing so I went to see my GP they sent me for an x-ray, the results came back just normal wear and tear with age.
With the pain worsening I went back to the GP they sent me for another x-ray this time my GP told me that the L2 and L3 bone has been growing together and every time that I move my back the bone breaks, my GP has referred me to a back specialist which will take about 6 weeks before I get an appointment, I have been told that this cannot happen and my GP has got it wrong, not by a doctor just another person does anyone know anything, is this person right.

thanks
I have had 6 neck fusion and 2 low back fusions. Yes a degenerated level in your spine can fuse it's self. I actually have that going on right now in my neck and because the disc space is intact the surgeon said leave it alone and let my body fuse it. I am sure the same thing can happen in your back but as far a breaking the bone like you described I don't think that can happen. It just won't fuse because of the movement won't let it rather than fusing and breaking, just thinking. If it is fusing with the disc space intact and no nerve root compression I would leave it alone. If the movement is hindering the fusion, I might try a back brace and let it fuse. But then again one of my neck surgeries fused leaning forwar (kyphosis) and one dr. thought that maybe it broke early in the healing process and then fused crooked, but it fused. I dont even know I'm right but maybe these are question to ask when you see the specialist. Anything can happen

write back after appointment i'm curious also
thanks