Back & Neck Community
Back Bones "Popping"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back Bones "Popping"

I am a 19 year old female and have noticed a loud popping noise in my lower back whenever I walk.  It does not hurt but it is very noticeable and I do not know if it could be something serious.  It sounds like the lower part of my back or maybe my hip seems to be popping in and out of place only when I walk.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be or whether it is serious or not? Thanks!
My hips and back "pop", or "crack" all the time! I asked my doctor about this and it wasn' cause or concern in my case. Your case may differ. Go see your doctor and find out if t is a problem for you. I thought popping joints caused arthritis, but have been told this isn't true.
This sounds like Sciatica to me.  I have that problem, and have had that problem since I was a teenager.
I'm not a frequent t.v. watcher, but did watch Dr. Oz the last week and a woman asked the same question abt her joints popping.
his advice that its perfectly normal as long as there is no pain, its just the fluid sak in the joints making this sound....
and he also stated that popping a joint does NOT cause future arthritis in that area..

furball...I too have sciatica...do you use anticonvulsants?..they have been a life saver for the sciatica pain for me, don't do much for neuropathy tho...
I haven't gotten to the anticonvulsants, yet, but at some point in time the neurologist may choose to do so for the migraines--as in Topamax.  Not yet, and probably not the very next thing, but an open option for the future.