Back & Neck Community
Back Pain and Left Leg pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back Pain and Left Leg pain.

I have been going to the doctors because I had severe back pain and every time I went they told me I must of pulled a muscle. I have been suffering with lower back pain since I was 19.  I am now 37.  My attacks would be maybe twice a year but when I would get an attack I could hardly walk.   Now in the last few years I would suffer even more.  Finallly I found a doctor that would listen,  We started out with an X-ray.  Which showed DDD.  I lived with the symptons.  In February I took a coughing spell and suffered a severe pain in my lower back.  From that day forward I have been suffering.  I was so bad with pain radiating down my left leg, it feels like I am being struck by lighting and that the electricity is trying to burn out the bottom of my foot.  I was  bed ridden for 2 months.  I kept going to the doctors because I couldn't stand it.  I have had a CT scan and an MRI.  I finally got into a neurologist after 7 months.  I was excited to see him because I thought I could get some answers, but when I went there and he checked my reflexes, he sent me for another MRI because he said my reflexes were Hyper.  Now I am waiting for those results.   However I am living in this pain everyday in my leg.  Somedays are better than others but I can hardly take it.  Now I have been developing other symptons such as dropping things, and last night I had such severe abdominal pain I thought I was going to die.  Does anyone have these symptons?
Hyper reflexes can mean possible compression of the spinal cord and dropping things is a similar symptom. That pain down your leg sounds like a nerve's being compressed. Hopefully this latest MRI will show the problems and they can begin to fix some of them.

There's no reason why you should have to live with pain like this, sometimes we have to fight to get better. If these Doctors won't help you and don't have any answers for you, get your reports and films together and go see another one. Your still relatively young and you have a lot of living left to do, you don't want to spend it in pain.

Take Care
My first MRI showed:  At the L4-L5 there is significant disc space height loss along with MODIC type ll changes present at the endplates. A broad-based posterior disc protusion is identified with surperimposed high signal.  Findings compatible with annular tearing.  At the more central/right and left paracentral aspect of the disc space there is a disc protusion with approximately 5mm of caudad extension effacing the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and coming in close proximity to the lateral recesses bilaterally.  There is no definite evidence of central canal compromise at this level.  There is bilateral neural foraminal canal narrowing seen.

Do you know what all that means?
At the L4-L5 there is significant disc space height loss - In between the vertebra are spinal discs, they act as shock absorbers or cushions in the spine. As we age these discs lose water and shrink somewhat, when this happens the adjacent vertebra move and become closer together, more so than normal. This is what’s known as disc space narrowing or height loss.

MODIC type ll changes present at the endplates- This had to do with a finding on the MRI it deals primarily with a signal change and generally represents more chronic inflammatory changes and fatty infiltration of bone marrow. These are things that are consistent with DDD

A broad-based posterior disc protusion - The term “broad based” simply refers to the size of the actual bulge or herniation. When the size of the herniation is 25% to 50% of the total disc circumference, the disc is called broad based. Its larger and effects more area than a focal herniation.

Findings compatible with annular tearing -  An annular tear describes a hole or rip in the outer disc wall

disc protusion with approximately 5mm of caudad extension – this is talking about a disc protrusion that you have is extending downward 5mm which is about  3/16 of an inch.

effacing the anterior aspect of the thecal sac – this 5mm disc protrusion is rubbing out or pushing on the thecal sac which encases the spinal cord and contains fluid to protect and feed the nerves.

and coming in close proximity to the lateral recesses bilaterally – this 5mm disc protrusion is also extremely close to the lateral recesses on both sides, which is an area that the spinal nerves travel through.

There is no definite evidence of central canal compromise at this level. – The radiologist can not state for certain that you have spinal canal narrowing at this level.

There is bilateral neural foraminal canal narrowing seen. You have foraminal narrowing on both sides at this level. The neural foramen are small holes or canals that the spinal roots use to emerge from the spinal canal. Sometimes a disc bulge or bone spur can pinch the nerves in this area causing considerable pain.

You’ve got a few things going on here, but it’s appears to be all at one level which is good. How old is this MRI?

Narrowing of the disc space can cause problems with the facet joints and with nerves being compressed, the endplates changes are just degeneration related to your DDD. Tears in the discs can cause pain too, and it’s probably causing some of your pain as well.

You have a disc protrusion that’s pushing on your thecal sac, which generally that isn’t something that causes symptoms unless it very severe. But if the protrusion is going into the lateral recess or the neural foramina and pinching a nerve, it can cause a lot of pain, you’re probably getting the majority of your pain down the leg from this.

The Neurologist you’re seeing seems to be on the ball, if he sent you to have another MRI right away. Thats a good sign and maybe you can get some of this taken care of, so you don’t have to suffer anymore. Post the results of your latest MRI if you like and take care of yourself and I hope you feel better.

Take Care

hello i have severe left leg pain and pain in my left hip also my buttock sometimes my entire leg hurts my right leg is fine i have gone to several dr nobody really gives me a  answer  this has been going on for 5 years and its just getting worse i also have endometriosis  need answers