Back & Neck Community
Back and sternum pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back and sternum pain

For the past few weeks I have had upper back and sternum pain. It started pretty sudden.  I have always had lower back problems, but not my sternum.  I'm 56 years old and was a smoker for approx. 15 years and have recently quit.  My back will pop if I press my should blades together. My back, neck, sternum, and what I think is right behind my heart is very tender. I have a physical next month, but just curious if anyone else has had these symptoms and what the diagnosis was.  Thank you.
i had a cabg-for triple vessel disease abt 7 months back. the operation was successful as told by doctors. After 3 months of opn., suddenly  pus started coming from a pin hole which was formed at the sternum area. i have consulted the doctor who did my surgery and he told that this is quite common and advised me to go for ct scan of the chest-plain and contrast. the report revealed that it is a case of osteomyelitis of the sternum with presternal and retrosternal inflammation. doctor told me to do the dressing twice a day by cleaning the pus which was coming. besides that, he gave me some antibiotic tablets based on the pus culture report. even after taking those tablets , there is no change in the situation. we have been doing the normal dressing twice a day by putting a plain gauge pad after cleaning the wound area. its 3 months now the situation is pretty the same. i'm 70 yrs old with normal levels of diabetes. i want to know as to whom i should contact(specialist doctor-branch) for healing.