Back & Neck Community
Back pain and painful xiphisternum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back pain and painful xiphisternum

Having just read the post by heronbrook1 I would like to say that he is not alone.
I have just come back from the doctors and he is going to refer me to a specialist.
About 5 years ago I had an MRI scan because I reported a pain and a lump in my chest,
Nothing was done as it was not wrth damaging the chest wall and I was given a lecture on the sternum. The specialist advised that I had a little hernia in my tummy button.
I get the lower back ache every year when I don't keep it warm in the cold weather or over exertion.
My job is one of little exercise - I spend most of my time at a desk or in the car.
I can usually get rid of the back pain through exercise but this year I have the added complication of the paainful xiphoid.

I momentarily saw a connection on a web site relating the 2 conditions because of connectin muscle groups.

I've just bought a rowing machine to help lose a few pounds and generally get fitter and lose the back pain.

As heronbrook1 stated the sitting is bad - so much so that I am off to get a proper desk chair shortly.

I've have the kneely ones in the past.

I can't help thinking that all my problems are posture related  but food excess at Xmas made my chest quite painful. A good old burping session did not go a miss.

Just got some tablets off the doc for that.

I thought it was a haeatus hernia giving me the chest pain but the doc recons it's my xiphisternum.

My right elbow has been painful this last 2 months - I put that down to RSI.

Looks like steroid injections can remove the Sternum and Elbow pain but I would like to know the root cause for all of this.

Anyone reading this can contact me on my mobile 07711 752887