Back & Neck Community
Back pain and spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back pain and spasms

I have massages every so often because of spasms in my back...I had one 2 weeks ago and it completely inflammed my back and "locked" me up. I had to go in to the dr and have a muscle relaxant shot and she put me on prednisone. That was 5 days ago and I'm still no better. I'm hurting from my neck to my glutes and if I'm sitting up or trying to walk around the pain gets worse. By the end of the day I'm in horrible pain and exhausted. I have not been able to return to work and I'm starting to freak out a little about this. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Also I am on Robaxin...I was switched to Norflex but it didn't help so I went back to Robaxin.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc inflammations, fractures/ dislocations, bone bruise, referred pain from other regions, micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought. Meanwhile you could try some warm compresses and Tylenol/ OCT NSAIDS for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!