Back & Neck Community
Back pain is it gas?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back pain is it gas?

Hello I really need help. I took a couple laxatives and fiber cereal and broccoli on moday night. Tues I woke up went to bathroom and went back to bed. I woke up again about an hour later and my back was KILLING me.

It has been all day tues and wed and now this morning. The pain feels like a cramp but it hurts to take a deep breath and it's only on my left side and upper armpit. It' hurts to bend down or breath deeply. I thought it was gas but now I'm concerned it's something else. I've been to two dr in the last two days and one thinks it's gas and the other is not sure..... To be honest I think the second doc thought I was out for pain meds or something.

What the hell is it? Does anyone know? It feels like I broke a rib but I know I didn't because the dr did an X-ray
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Pain in left side of chest and upper armpit can be due to a bad gastric reflux with severe acidity and gas. However, first all heart related causes like angina and heart attack should be ruled out by an ECG. Another possibility that can explain the pain is pericarditis. It causes chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing and also causes radiation of pain to arms. Again an EKG, heat echo and chest X-ray is required.

Pleuritis (inflammation of lining of lung) and pulmonary embolism (clot in lung) are other possibilities causing shortness of breath with chest pain. A CT scan of the chest can rule out both. Shingles too can start this way.

Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.