Back & Neck Community
Back pops when I breathe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back pops when I breathe

For the past 2 months, whenever my posture is out of normal alignment (i.e. sitting in a chair, laying on my side, etc.) I can start to feel my back tighten up along my spine, right below my shoulder blades when I inhale.  At the end of inhalation, my back pops (it sounds like snapping fingers).  When it pops, it relieves the tension, but it also feels like someone is flicking me in the back.  It feels like my muscles are being stretched too far, and then they snap back into place.  It does this about once every 5 minutes and it extremely obnoxious and moderately painful.  If the popping/snapping becomes more frequent, I get someone to pop my back-I lay on my stomach on the floor and they will push down on my spine.  This alleviates the popping for about an hour or so, but then will go back to doing the same thing.  It always does this on the right side of my spine.  I can't think of when my back doesn't do this- it does it when I am laying down, sitting down, walking, playing sports, etc.  What is the problem?  
A related discussion, How long has it been going on? was started.
A related discussion, why is my back popping betweeen my shouder blades was started.
This EXACT thing is happening to me, for almost a year now! only difference is, mine is on my left side. I had it MRI'ed and I still have no answers. Its extremely painful. I also have pretty severe back problems as well. If you hear anything on this, any information would be greatly appreciated! Im too young for this! Thank you!!!