Back & Neck Community
Back problem symptoms-burning in lower back, buttocks, burning behind l...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back problem symptoms-burning in lower back, buttocks, burning behind legs while sitting...

I have gone to literally over 14 doctors- orthos,neurolgists, neurosurgeons, general practioners, and none of them has acknowledged my symptoms, but will only look at my MRIs and say, "everything's fine".

I have stopped going because I am so sick of paying them for not doing anything for me.  

My problem is related to my lower back and on one MRI a radiologist actually called it what it was- a slight? herniation of L5-S1 and a central disk "protrusion" in L4-L5.  But the neurologist failed to do his job and find out why when I sit, my perineum burns and I have a burning sensation that goes through my urethra also.  Also, while sitting, the back of my legs start to burn very badly, and sometimes my perianal region also.

Now, why can't a neurologist tell me what is being affected, given that it seems the nerves of my perineum and my bladder nerves are being compressed/irritated?  I am on Lyrica and Cymbalta, but other than weird dreams, the Cymbalta hasn't done much, and the Lyrica might be helping with the burning that I was having in my toes.

I have basically given up hope on doctors and have all my hope in God.  Anyway, just wanted to write to see if someone has any experience with the symptoms, or have seen anyone with what I am describing.  I have to lie down to get relief, but I have lied down with my neck on a pillow for so long that I strained my neck and my fingers and left arm started to tingle.  

Any suggestions anybody?
I don't know why one of the docs would not prescribe PT, Epidural injections, Steroids, Trigger point injections, the list goes on. Maybe one of them could refer you to pain mgmt. This is all the things they do for me. Good Luck!!!
Big Orange Fayray
A patient at the hospital I work at had a similar issue, several tests were ran and finally as a last resort he was referred to a Urologist. They found the problem and were able to successfully treat it. You should try that and see what if anything a Urologist finds! Good luck!
I HAVE HAD THE SAME BURNING FROM MY LEFT LEG AND DOWN THROUGH THE PELVIC AREA..I HAVE DAMAGED DISCS IN MY LOWER BACK AND HAVE HAD SPINALS THAT DIDN'T HELPREALLY..MY HORMONES ARE SUPPOSEDLY OK AND I CHECKED FOR BLADDER CANCER..BECAUSE AS YOU GUYS KNOW IT'S EASY TO BECOME A HYPOCHONDRIAC WHEN YOU KEEP BURING AND CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT..ALL MY TESTS COME OUT FINE ALSO..THE ONLY THING SO..MY PAIN SPECIALIST(AMONGST MANY DOCTORS I HAVE BEEN TO..)SAYS IT IS STRESS!!! I AM GOING THROUGH ALOT OF STRESS AND TAKE AN ANTIDEPRESSANT..NOW THEY HAVE ME TRYING XANAX..I HATE TAKING IT BUT IT SEEMS TO HELPS..BUT I STILL ICE AND ELEVATE AND TAKE B-VITAMINS,CALCIUM/MAG.,B12 SHOTS..AND WATER EXCERCISE TO RELIEVE THE STRESS..BUT I TELL YOU IT KEEPS BURNING AND FLARING UP ANYTIME SOMETHING STRESSFUL IS IN MY MIND OR THOUGHTS OR COMVERSATIONS...DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE OUT THERE???IT IS AMAZING HOW STRESS CAN PLAY HAVOC ON OUR BODIES..AM OPEN TO YOUR PRAYERS AND STORIES AND ADVICE..THANKS,DAA
Hello, sorry you're in pain also.  I have settled on living with my pain.  It waxes and wains.  I am only seeing a neurologist, who has prescribed me Lyrica, for the burning in my feet and toes; and Cymbalta, to help my back and my spirits.  I have been on Zoloft for GERD, and now Cymbalta, for my back problems.  I like both of them, and think they helped me through the toughest of my situations.  The strange dreams are interesting also.

People at church ask me about my back, and tell me they are praying for me.  I am glad they are, and I've resigned for God to help me with my back pain, as no doctor can help me.  I shelled out over $850 in out-of-pocket expenses in April, for NOTHING.  It will take a lot to get me back in a doctor's office.

I pray you get better.
I have burning too.  Feet mostly.  MRIs, blood tests, lumbar puncture - you name it - I had it.  All fine.  I'm tired of the pain and $$ going toward it.  I take neurontin, cymbalta too.  Not sure if it's doing anything but emptying my pockets.  I feel your pain literally.  Keep on praying my friend:)
I feel the same thing versute1.. I have the same symptoms...  Same thing with the drs they tell me the same things... I should give you my email or aim name so we can chat.. I have been apply for ssi for 5 yrs they keep turning me down said that im a healthy 29 yr old and i can get well.
I also forgot to add.. That i get bad headaches ... I wake up with hang over like headaches every morning .. and I have stomach problems like IBS.. and all that.. and the med.. they dont help.. or to strong.. and I have a 10 yr old and 4 yr old and can not drug my self up like that
As crazy as this may sound - are you sure you don't have a bladder infection/irriation? The burning systems you describe, associated with the urethra and bladder could be UTI (Urinary Track Infection).
This is very painful, causing burning and overall discomfort in the lower back and pelvic area. sometimes. I'm NOT suggesting in anyway, that you don't also have the disks L5 - S1 problem, too. However; it's just possible that the other symptoms are coming from your bladder. If it's UTI, it is easly cured with the proper medication prescribed by your doctor. A simple urine specimen will show whether or not it's UTI.

Best wishes
pd
This isn't a work related injury is it?  I was hurt at work and had basically the same symptons, with bludging disc L3-4, L4-5 and was in excruciating pain radiating down my leg, causing numbness in half of my calf and toes, to the point to where I lost all sensation in my toes (little toe up to 3rd toe) and neurologist still refused to acknowledge I had any nerve damage.  Insurance company rehab nurse sent me to an arthritis doc who, is trying to treat me for arthritis.  I have never been diagnosed with arthritis nor do I exhibit any of the symptons of arthritis (as described on line).  So good luck, sorry if insurance is not related I can't understand why you are not in pain management.  Good Luck and God Bless ~
My mom met with stroke eight months back and after P.T she can able to move like a normal person with very or no deformity at all.  The problem is two months after stroke she had burning pains in her butts, upper thighs(only on the right side) and toes. The symptoms comes only when she is sitting or lying nothing while standing. That is only if her butts or thighs rest on some chair or bed it burns.  She too has neck pain in the left side and left arm pain while lying done. She is from India and presently I take her to a neurologist regularly. No pain or other medications except Lyrica (comes under different brand name here) along with Coumardin type of anti-coagulant for her stroke prevention.  She has been periodically monitored for INR values for anti-coagulant associated therapy and risks. When the dosage of Lyrica initially from 75mg was raised to 150 mg per day her INR value dropped down to 1.3 which poses a stroke risk.  So the doctor cut down 75mg out of 150mg and now she is taking only 75mg which proves ineffective. Will her Lyrica interact with coumaridn type of anticoagulant which may decrease her INR value. Any patients please suggest if you are taking anticoagulant drugs.  Again how to manage her burns.  We have taken any spine MRI as our doctor advices that it is unnecessary and ofcourse costly in our country.  God bless all the visitors in this forum. Thanks and bye. Any suggestions welcomed regarding my mom's symptoms
Hi:
Just trying to figure out what's wrong with me!  I have this re-occuring "condition" that has never really been given a name.  I go between my OB and internist.  The ob says it's a "condition" I'm prone to -- and I'm treated with double doses of antibiotics (NOT an STD).  To me, it feels more like an inflamation (inflammation) in my lower back and lower pelvic area -- a burning across my lower back.  I go thru bloodwork, ultra sounds, cat scans...everything normal!  They always, in the end, say stress / IBS!  Any thoughts?
ok hope this may help, but the sensation you describe in the legs I had. I also suffered with what felt like tingling in the buttom area. My spine felt numb, i had tingling down one arm which lead to two arms. My legs were weak and felt like they couldn't take my weight. I basically had no strength in my whole body at the end of it. Doctors couldn't diagnosis it. I always had this reoccuring dream that my teeth were falling out, quite bizzare i know. so i checked up on the internet about teeth. every symptom i had related to TMJ so went to my doctor and asked if i could have it. He took one look in my mouth and said, quite possibly. So have been getting treatment for TMJ for the last 8 months and am feeling good. TMJ is very misleading can mimic alot of things. Does your jaw pop or crack when opening. If so get down to your dentist for further investigation. Hope this helps. TMJ also causes Fibromyalgia
I just posted the same question. how come i only have issues that don't seem to have answer form a doctor.  This burning sensation is horrible. I have had it off and on on different parts of my body for my whole life.  When I was pregnant which ended as a miscarriage I would wake up each morning with the patch on a different part of my body.  After the miscarriage it went away.  Now this is the same feeling.  No my leg doesn't burn as bad but now it feels like I just got over a charlie horse, really achy.  I was told I had Sciatica by a doctor.
I have a little pain in my lower back but I have burning sinsation in my buttocks down my right leg and sometimes to my foot. I went to the VA hospital because I hurt my back in the Army back in 1991 and they refuse to give any help other than mortin. I have tried to get a little disabilty but they denied me. I guess I will have to keep trying. If anyone can help me with this let me know. Thanks! JAT.
back pain started with abdominal pain many bloods carried out power  lower back xray carried out ,ct scan of abdominal area and pelvic area done to ,urine test done three times , now i have pain in my spine and lower back ,buttock and rib cage areas and all i get from my doc is more pain killers , i have asked for a MRI scan but he said not required this as been going on for five months now and the pain is getting worse, clipped the edge and now suffering big time ,pain when breathing in also and chest infection ,pain on lying down or sitting down this is driving me mad as the doc say thery can not see any thing
I am running into the same problem with going from doctor to doctor and specialist to specialist. I have burning in my lower back (feels like an iron is being held to it) and shooting pain down the back of my left leg and muscle weakness in my right thigh. My feet are also now burning and hurt. I also get pelvic pain. I get zinging type electrical shocks going through my back, legs, and feet. I also have blurry vision and get dizzy easily.

MRI's show some things, but nothing that explains what is happening and lab work is all okay.  I will be going to a pain specialist in a couple of weeks.  Just wondering if anyone has gotten a diagnosis. I am going crazy with this and grasping at straws!!!
for the past 5 years, i have been experiencing extreme deep burning pain throughout my whole body 24/7. i have been tested for lupus, ms, hiv, diabetes, have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy. nerve conduction study, small bowel follow through, heavy metals testing, b12 levels, everything comes back fine. i do have acid reflux and a hietal hernia i found out and there were 3 polyps removed one of which was precancerous, but it's not related the dr says. this pain is worse with heavy foods. starts rapidly in my back through my torso area then straight to my extremities. my feet and hands turn beet red and burn really bad. this is all internal heat. there's no rashes or anything. there has to be answer or some relief out there some where. it just hit me one night like a stack of bricks and has never gone away. does anyone else experience this or does has anyone had this problem and was fixed. any ideas or suggestions?
Hi and welcome to the back and neck  support forum.

I am not sure what is going on...I would suggest u try posting this as a new topic as this is an older thread.

May I ask have u had MRI's??

"selma"
I hurt my lower back Thanksgiving morning doing of all things a prevention magazine exercise tape.  I have had so much pain.  The orthopedic originally said my back was sprained and sent me to PT.  I did seem to do well with PT and felt much better, but on Jan. 18 as I of all things was opening up my blinds I hurt it again.  This time the Doc sent me to get a mri which showed a slight herniation in my L5  S1.  my pain is in my lowest part of my back continuing down to my tailbone and on my lower right side and burns allot.  Fortunately not going down my leg, but i feel like i have 100 pounds of bricks sitting on my lower back  and I have large knots on my right side of my low back. I have had 2 epidurals which were a waiste of time.  Pt helps for a couple of days then I hurt again.  I became so frustrated I spoke to my PT he guided me in the direction of Neuromuscular  massage and acupunture.  I am so glad I went this route.  I've been doing both once a week since August 1 and it has been worth every penney.  The massage therapist I use had to use a special tool to break up my knots which were in my tendons.  It was not an enjoyable massage it hurt but the next day I was a different person I felt no pain the swelling in my back had gone down and the pain went with it.  I have came to the conclusion that this will be a slow healing process but since starting the weekly neuromuscular massage and acupuncture I am 90 % better with only an occational low back pain that comes on when I am doing vacuming and mopping or cleaning around the house and I don't put my lumbar/pelvic brace on.  Then the knots come back and so does the pain.  I strongly reccomend all who are frustrated and ready to give up to find a good neuromuscular massage therapist  ( that does deep tissue)  and a accupunturist.  You will notice a diffeerence by the 2nd week and by the end of the month you will be very glad you tried it.   "Lisa"
My name is Kim. I am a female 26 years old. About 10 weeks I started having extreme burning in my lower back. This was following a UTI that I was recovering from. After 2 days of the burning I started having acid  reflux. I have had it now for 8 weeks, trying different medications but the side effects are so terrible that I keep switching. During all of this I have noticed that my hands and feet have also started to burn as well as the back of my kneck (internal fire, skin feels very hot on the outside as well). Everyone is saying anxiety but I don't believe it, I know what I feel. The burning in my back seems to come on especially when I have plenty acid and when I am laying down. I am thinking maybe the meds have contributed to the burning all over my body, and that maybe the back thing is related to acid reflux or uti, any thoughts? For those with the burning and GERD what meds are you taking, maybe we can compare?
i have the same burning pain in both legs and buttocks but nobody seeems to be able to help me make it go away.  i'm now trying excercises and PT for piriformis syndrome but not sure it will help as i am still in utter pain.  I have it now 8 months and have not been able to work because sitting makes the pain in my legs (back of my legs and some of the inner leg near my knees) much worse.  I'm totally depressed about it as I have no life anymore.
Hi, while I havnt had the same sort exact pain as you all, I have had the nerve damage pain in my legs, and it can be excruciating to sit and have any kind of pressure on the back of my legs, hurts to have anything touch my legs at times. Hurts to walk. I have spondylolisthesis which resulted in severe bilateral foraminal stenosis which caused significant bilateral root nerve compression at l5/s1. I'm here to say there IS a reason for everyone feeling what they are. There is a doctor out there that will get to the bottom, and for those who can't get their drs to order an mri, or do other tests, explore other drs!!!! Have any of u been tested for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome? Would be worth ruling out, your all in my thoughts, take care!!:)
This is an old post and probably you have long ago solved your problem.. If not, here are a few extemporaneous comments.  As an interventional pain specialist, I can tell you that your symptoms are complex, seem to involve several aspects of your nervous system and are clearly exasperating. However, your problems also is not that uncommon in a tertiary pain practice.  Throwing "treatment" at it without systematic diagnostic evaluation of which parts are or are not involved is often the first course as both the patient and the doctor want a result, and the insurance company who is making all the medical decisions anyway, doesn't really care except to hope that you go away.  Speaking only rhetorically as I have not seen your situation, it seems that a systematic diagnostic algorithm of blocking or testing each "pain generator", such as the disc, facets, nerve roots, lumar sympathetic nerves, perhaps, parasympathetics. consideeration of a sensory nerve conudction threshold test to try to further decide if the C, A-beta, A-delta fibers are involved.  Once these tests have been done and you can tell what works and what doesn't, treatment can be much more logical and probably efective.  Your post makes me guess that the start was most likely, but no guarantee, the facets and now involves some aspect of your sympatheitic nervous system.There is more but first of all, you may have fixed the problem already, and it is complex.  I hope this helps a bit if you are still ahving trouble.  You'll have to read through any typos I left in this.
Im only 14 and I am experiancing the same burning feeling in my lower back area. I already have Acid Reflux but it only occurs when I travel or get nervous.
I also have really bad stomache problems, the burning feeling in my lower stomache that leads to either bad diarrhea or constipation.

I went to several doctors and they dont know whats wrong, so they sent me to a specialist, he said that I wasnt drink enough water.
So after that, I started drinking more water. So after 1 month, I kept getting the same pain in my back and my stomache.

He doesn't even know whats going on with my back or my stomache, so now these horrible pains are leading me into depression.
to maxmin-your comment was very rude and uncalled for. people in pain DO NOT need advice or treatment as this. it is bad enough the doctors are taking advantage,much less a complete stranger being so disrespectful of their pain. to all the other back and neck pain people. i have had a recent injury but no doctor will refer me to a chiropractor. i know my fractured coccyx has to heal first. a chiropractor got me walking again after a serious hip injury 10 years ago. doctors treated me for over a year and could not find the problem. my father recommended a chiropracter. they xray you standing up so they can see bones better. within a month i was semi mobile with 3 i was walking again. he also realigned my back ,hip,and neck. i go back anytime i have a fall or pain. i know my recent fall aggravated my hip condition but without the doctors referral workers comp will not pay a chiropractor.just a suggestion but you may want to visit a chiropractor and see if he can assist with your pain and discomfort.best of luck to all of you and i hope you get better.God bless!
Your post is old, I sure hope you found the help you need. Your burning pain is exactly what I am going through. I have had so many tests. MRI's, Colonoscopy, Bowel follow through, Laparoscopy, CT Scan, Ultrasound...Nerve Blocks.. ugh. I'm exhausted. But what is worse than anything is the not knowing what is the cause. I cannot sit without the burning beginning. Buttocks, tailbone, lower back..upper thigh. Now I have burning in my feet and tingling in my extremities. I am now on a whole new set of drugs (Neurontin, Xanax, Zanaflex) and none seem to work. Through a Lumbar MRI they found a arachnoid cyst on L5 S1 area but everyone says it's nothing. Seeing a Neurosurgeon in a few days. Nothing is helping and I am just so depressed over this. ahhhhh  
many problem describe here can be related to problems in l4 l5
L 4 L5 see this article
http://www.perineology.com/files/e2b.htm
You must be so frustrated after going to tons of doctors who don't help. I didn't have the same problem, physically, but I had a similar experience. I tried going to several doctors who just wouldn't do anything to help me and instead, just wasted my time and my money. I finally found one that was worth my while and I haven't been to anyone since. Good luck! Hope you find someone who can help you! http://www.bouldindds.com
I'm a masseuse who has been in private practice for 23 year and I am sorry to hear that you are all suffering so terribly without much help when your problem is really very simple.

Many of you mention that it hurts behind your legs when you sit. The reason for this is that you are digging into your hamstring muscles with the back of a hard chair that does not fit you properly - it's too big. As a result you have activated trigger points in your muscles. The longer you go without being treated the worse the pain becomes and you develop associated trigger points, hence the pain that spreads.

jadar12, wrote on Sep 10, 2009 that she was helped with massage therapy. Trust me - she is on the right track. There is nothing that is going to help you as much as a good deep massage and stretching that targets the hamstring muscles for a start.

But first and foremost you must stop aggravating your condition by becoming aware of your posture when you sit and find a chair that fits you properly. If you can not slide your hand under your leg when you are sitting on a chair and your feet dangle you are setting yourself up for big painful problems.

When sitting your feet should be flat on the floor and your knees slightly higher that your hips and your pelvis should have a slight anterior tilt which forces your spine into alignment. The chair ought not be digging into the back of your legs. Ouch!

You know you have an active trigger point when you have exhausted your efforts with medical doctors and you are able to treat yourself successfully.

I've been reading a lot of blogs about people who suffer and have had all the best medical tests available to them and they still do not have answers. Now I realize that not all of these people are going to be helped with trigger point therapy but from my 23 years of working as a masseuse in private practice I know that most problems people experience are muscular in nature and due to poor posture and muscle weakness. Or they have had an injury or illness.

Learning expands our ability to enjoy life. I think it behooves us all to learn basic body mechanics so that as we move through life we do so effortlessly and without pain.
Please do not be discouraged, it is only a matter of time until you feel well again.

If you feel pain when you sit, sleep, and walk and the straight leg raising test is difficult to perform and if it is difficult to touch your toes with your knees straight (extended) the hamstring muscles are in question.

When these trigger points are severe you will limp when walking, lean forward when standing and the curve in your low back will straighten producing a head forward posture which strains the lower back.

For self-treatment start by stretching your adductor magnus muscle. Then stretch your hamstrings through their full range of motion, first the medial and then the lateral portion of the muscle and dorsiflex the foot when the leg is in a vertical position. Use postiometric relaxation and moist heat ending with full active range of motion.

The chief antagonists to the hamstring muscles are the quadriceps femoris muscle group in front of the leg so work this muscle group also.

Avoid placing the hamstrings in a fixed shortened position for long periods of time as when sitting, use a slanted foot stool so the back of your legs don't cut into the chair and don't cross your legs.

A good deep massage incorporating the techniques I mentioned above to release the hamstrings by an experienced masseuse can go a long way to helping you feel better. The sooner the better.

If you caught yourself from falling, spent a lot of time driving or running and the foot on the affected is laterally rotated (the Pace Abduction test) and if the pain in your lower back, buttock and posterior thigh is made worse by sitting, standing and walking the piriformis muscle is in question.

You may have activated trigger points in the muscle and/or suffer from nerve compression - piriformis syndrome. A double whammy!

For self-treatment lay on your side with your knees bent (flexed) 90 degrees at the hip. This places the piriformis muscle on a stretch. Work the muscle by lifting your bent leg up and down (abduction & adduction) use postiometric relaxation (pressure against resistance) massage and apply moist heat.

Another effective self-treamtent is to lay on tennis balls while laying on your side. But you must be careful as there is a bundle of nerves and blood vessels that pass through this area.

If you don't change seated positions often and take breaks when driving you overload the muscle and exasperate your condition.

Rocking chairs are good for people with piriformis syndrome.
Pain that shoots down the back of your leg, the posterior thigh and most of the leg and foot is a classic symptom of nerve root compression to the sciatic nerve. It is either due to a herniated disc between L4 and L5 in the lumbar region, lower back - where your belt wraps around your waist - or the piriformis muscle.

The piriformis muscle, the sciatic and pudendal nerves which supplies the pelvic area and blood vessels exits the pelvis via the greater sciatic foramen where the potential for compression is great.

Another example of this happening is in the neck where tight scalene muscles and the pectoralis minor muscle (chest) can trap the brachial plexus as this bundle of nerves and blood vessels exits your neck. Think thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS).

The femoral triangle in your hip is yet another example. Activated trigger points in the upper sartorius muscle (thigh) of your leg can impinge on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve causing problems along the front and side of your upper leg.

I suggest getting regular deep tissue massages using moist heat and gentle stretches that focuses on your low back, hamstrings, hips and neck - like jadar12, wrote on Sep 10, 2009 - it will be worth every penny. And if you sit for hours at work hire an ergonomist to help with your posturing.

I also recommend getting your B12 and folic acid (folate) levels checked. These vitamins play a huge role in how our nervous systems function. As we age our bodies do not produce as much stomach acid which is needed to absorb B12 and everyone knows that women who plan on becoming pregnant should take a folate (B9) supplement lest they give birth to a baby with a neural tube defect. Plus, certain medications interfere with folate absorption.

Also of interest look up the definitions of dysesthesia and paresthesia.

If it's not one thing it's another.
I have a client who said he suffered from low back pain for 30 years and had six MRI's all to no avail. Four years ago he met a doctor at a Christmas party who offered to take a look at the images and found that his hip labrum was torn. All the previous doctors and radiologists were looking at his low back because that's where he felt pain. The problem turned out to be in his hip. My client had surgery and is pain free.

I have since read that with this new technology doctors are able to look into the body like never before but be aware, from what I read it's a difficult diagnosis to make.

The possibility of having a torn shoulder labrum (glenoid labrum tear) or a hip labrum tear is worth exploring for those who suffer from shoulder, hip or low back pain.

Always keep copies of your test results  - you never know when you'll meet the right doctor.
I agree with you KatRAt, if you're jaw pops get yourself to a good dentist. If you're in the Salt Lake area check out the pros here: http://dentalprosutah.com/dental/ They have specialists in all areas of dentistry, with their Kid's Place Dentistry, Center of Dental Professionals, as well as the Center of Surgical Arts, they have the experience for any dental problems. Try them once and you won't go anywhere else.
Everybody just say about the pain. But is there no cure! For burning pain.my Lower back area from buttock upto my feet. They are like burning in fire. When i stand it relives. It increases when i sit . I come to know that it occurs due to sciatica symptom. But now i feel hopeless. It has just symptomatic treatment. But no effective treatment. Doctor told me to do the streching exercise. Doing it for 10 days. Still the pain is same and coming regularly. Sometime i cry and asked to god what sin i have done that i m such ill.. Is their any effective treatment.
Interesting. I was thinking about your situation as I fell asleep last night.

Please read what I wrote on Jan 23, 2011. When you have an injury you must do everything possible not to aggravate your symptoms and everything possible to alleviate the pain.

The three hamstring muscles are complicated because two of them attach to the inside of your leg (semitendinosus and the semimembranosis) and the other attaches to the outside of your leg (biceps femoris). And the biceps femoris has a long head and a short head with different points of insertion. So, to effectivly stretch this muscle group it's not as simple as raising your straight leg.

If your problem is severe and stretching and avoiding chairs do not help you must get a good deep tissue massage from an experienced masseuse/masseur who knows to massage the muscles not only when you're lying on your stomach (prone) but also when you're lying on your side.
Thanks to PPNH. Ur comment has given me some hope. And thanks to God because my burning is decreasing. Actually it is becoming tolerable. Before after 10 minute of sitting it caught me and made me untolerable pain. Now the pain is less and it comes late after about half an hour of sitting and tolerable. I do streach exercise for about half an hour every night before going sleep. I have no buttock pain but burning air like sensation come from my leg when sitting. This winter was started with this pain. And now the summer is starting and it decreasing. is the pain related to season? Do it cure fully? And do i have to exercise for  lifelong? By the way i didnot take any painkiller or any single medicine for this illness. Because i dont want to be drug dependent. How can i prevent its reoccurance? Thanks in advance. And pray for me.
Thank you for your appreciation. You're pain may be seasonal simply because you sit more in the winter. Yes, you will be cured fully. Yes, you must exercise and stretch for the rest of your life because it will make you look and feel good. Good for you for not taking medication - masking the pain is not helpful. You can prevent this problem from happening again by not sitting too much, choosing chairs that don't cut into the back of your legs and learning how to stretch your hamstring muscles. And yes, I will pray for you.
Thank God I found this thread. It helps to know I'm not alone in  that I feel massive, debilitating amounts of pain every single day and still have no diagnosis as to the cause. DO NOT SETTLE FOR LIVING WITH PAIN. We should not have to and if you haven't been diagnosed or treated to your standard then you need to keep your records straight and find another doctor, and another, and another, and another. It may take years but persistance pays off. I'm at the point where I buy pain medication from someone, because my doctor sees me as a drug seeker. Well DUH, if you felt like I did for three years with no reason why - you would want pain meds too! It's affected my job, I'm hanging by a thread from taking so much time off because I can't function some days. I've been through PT, had an MRI of my brain done, seen a Neuro, Rheumo, and now I'm on my second primary care doctor. I've only met with him once but he is sending me for 2 MRI's - one of the spine and one of the pelvis. If the Neuro he reccomended can't tell me what's going on, then I will continue to show them to every doctor I can until I find out why I feel this way. I'm 24 years old and feel such burning in the bones and muscles of my spine and pelvis. I shouldn't have had to live the last 3 years like this, and I will NOT give up my search for an answer.

My hormones have been wacky, one visit everything will be fine and then the next... I have had to have hormone replacement injections (+b12 for fatigue) because I was not producing any testosterone. 4 months of that and Testim, and it went back to normal on it's own. Then randomly my thyroid levels shot down, went on synthroid for 3 months and then stopped, I feel fine and am getting my thyroid levels checked again soon. Diagnosed with Chronic Epstein Barr, which explains some symptoms but not nearly all. Just got off Effexor XR which I believe was causing the hormone problems, I went on it for the treatment of chronic pain. It worked just like everything else - great for a month or three, then the effects stopped completley even after dosage increase. Lyrica/Neurontin/Cymbalta I can't take, they give me the overwhelming desire to jump off of a bridge.

So, as many of us have to end up doing, I have been self medication (IN MODERATION) with pain medication when needed, which is more frequently than I would like - but the alternative is to suffer intolerable pain, and possibly risk losing my job. My boyfriend does not understand, and expects me to feel normally despite my complaints. He doesn't get it when I get angry for no reason, or when I get so fatigued or feel intense pain, that I only want to lay down. I get a massage every month, which helps for that day. I take 1,200mg fish oil, and 5000iu of Vitamin D - which I was told by my doctor to take. It's not a chiropratic issue - I workout as often as possible and am very active. Movement (like if it were a traditional back problem) does not affect how I feel. Nothing does.
I neglected to mention that I have also been diagnosed by my Rhumo with "fibromyalgia" - which I think is just another word for "I believe you feel like crap, but I dont know why". This is definatley NOT fibromyalgia.

The pain comes on suddenly most days, I can feel a dull burn and within the hour, I know exactly what muscles it will travel down, what area in my body will end up being in pain. It ranges from my lower back, to my pelvis, and my knees. Those are the main points that I feel pain in - but have sensitivity in all of my joints. Elbows, fingers, neck and shoulders, etc. It turns from a dull burn in a vague area into a burning, unacceptable level of pain in a specific yet widespread area.

I'm waiting on insurance approval to go get this MRI... but my deductable is so high I'm pretty much paying for all of it. Ridiculous! At this point I can only pray that something is seen that explains all of this, I don't know what I'll do if they tell me "everythings fine". (Besides take it to another doctor, and so on). Doctors are so dismissive of people who claim to have "pain" because they all think we're just looking for drugs. Addicts are just looking for drugs, and it saddens me to know that a large portion of the medical community writes chronic pain suffers like me off when I really need that medication.

What my doctor doesnt know (yet. Last time was the first time I've seen him, at an emergency clinic walk in place I came into one day because the pain was too severe and I needed relief) is that I can't stand taking pain medication. I have a humungous anxiety problem and while pain meds like Percoset 10mg  for the light days, Oxycontin 30mg or 80mg extended release for the bad days, they make me so mental. I get racing thoughts, they heighten my anxiety, and can sometimes send me into a full blown panic attack if I get stressed out at work. I'm on 2mg Xaxax to control my anxiety, twice a day or as needed. I've noticed that even Xanax helps with the pain if I take a small amount (.5-1mg) during the day because I think it just relaxes my body a little bit. So I'm put in between a rock and a hard place... and just want to get whatever is wrong with me treated!!
Frustrating indeed! And don't let anyone tell you that it's all in your head.

When you've exhausted your attempts to get help from the medical establishment find an experienced masseuse/masseur who specializes in trigger point therapy. For the best results you must feel confident in this person's ability to help you and you must work together. It's not just a matter of getting a massage.

In the meantime learn how to use your breath - breathing techniques - to help manage your pain, release the tension from your body and calm your mind. Any professional, whether it's a musician, an athlete, or a masseuse, will tell you the first thing they learn is how to breath correctly and proper body mechanics.

Posturing is everything. You mentioned that you were aware of your pain pattern. Now you must tune into what you're doing to aggravate your condition. Were you sitting, standing or walking for extended periods of time? Be aware that stress and fatigue can make everything look and feel much worse than if you were well rested and calm.

Learn basic anatomy & physiology to help you understand why you're experiencing pain and burning sensations. A good place to start is with the sciatic nerve (Piriformis Syndrome) and the brachial plexus (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome). Once you have a basic understanding of how your body functions you will be able to heal yourself. It's all about awareness, prevention and taking responsibility for yourself. The sooner the better.

Good luck!
I too suffer from burning to my buttocks and lower back. I also get waves of burning in other parts of my body including eyes, lips, arms and hands. Has anyone ever questioned epidural anesthetics as a possible cause? I had both knees replaced a couple of years ago using an epidural and all my problems stem from that time. The epidural was not working on one side post op and they had to adjust. I was administered too much pain killer and they had to put in an antidote. My knees are still very painful and get worse when I have the burns. No doctor has ever rejected the epidural theory but medicos seem to close ranks if there is ever a possibility of one of them being at fault.
I'm sorry to hear that you're still suffering after two years. Epidural anesthetics is outside my range of expertise but I can tell you that you are not alone in suffering after having your knees replaced. I'm working with a 70 year old man right now who has one bad knee and the other was replaced and they both hurt.

I urge you to start focusing on an exercise and stretching regime that involves massage to balance your body. You'll be surprised by how quickly your body will respond. But, bear in mind this is not something you do once. It takes discipline to stay focused but the benefits are well worth the effort.

Do what you must to take care of yourself, your well-being depends on it.
The reason why the neurologist cannot help you is because you have no physical problem, your problem is your personality. Its your personality that gives you the pain and that cannot change, so stop bothering the doctors with you ridiculous problem and let them take care of people who are really ill.
I was on the road to getting back into shape. Attending a local gym. One day it just happened. In Nov. 2010.  I don't know --may have lifted something wrong?  Pain shooting down lower back, buttocks, traveling to front pelvic area with burning sensation, extreme shooting pains down my legs, more so on my right back of leg, severe constipation. Unable to sit without pain or for very long, felt more relief when I tilted to the left, unable to stand for no more than a minute or get comfortable. I could barely walk. Still working but barely getting thru the day.  Prior to my doctor's appt, I typed in all my symptoms online just to see what would pop up- herniated disc.  I followed some holistic suggestions online.  Heat, alternate with ice cold presses daily as much as possible, flat on back on floor, leg raise (very carefully I might add, hard when you can't straighten it out).  Alternating leg 'draped' over leg for stretches, keeping back flat on floor. Agressively did this.  Took an anti inflammatory and my guy, bless his heart, would massage me.  Oh and for the constipation- dried prunes and lots of water. Six weeks later had my dr. appt finally.  He talks to me, asks me questions, I told him I think I have an herniated disc, but he tells me my exercising caused an 'inflamation (inflammation)' and I also have a urinary tract infection after testing.  I went away, with prescriptions, thinking -no way. It's was way too painful to be that. Mind you I was already starting to recover..and mind you I did, but had a slight relapse about 4 mos later.for a couple of days.  I had one again in June, after helping my daughter move. I decided to try a chiropractor after a couple of weeks of this severe pain.  Totally forgot the heat/cold alternating, just doing cold. I described symptoms to him and he shook his head, and said my dear you have a herniated disc. HA!

He adjusted me and in a few hours I was walking much better.  He told me I need to really 'baby' this. He was adamant about this.  Pressing on a nerve, reason for the severe pain.  No sitting up.  Lay down feet laying over stack of pillows.. It looked like I was sitting down in a laying down position.  Try to keep good form in mind at all times.  Hold in tummy when standing.  That is hard to do when your back is out of whack.  I helped it by pressing on my tummy when I was walking but still try and do it by holding in using your tummy muscles. :)  He recommended ICE ICE ICE and anti inflammatory - heavy for a while.  I will be going back for another adjustment.  It's been a couple weeks now since then and I have improved greatly.  Some intermitent episodes.  

Then I read that heat and cold work well with this though and that the spinal area does not get much blood but you need heat to get blood there to help heal yet at the same time it can cause inflammation because of that blood...hence the cold to follow suit immediately to bring inflammation back down or prevent more of it.  That's what I was doing the first time it happened!  15 min. heat / 15 min cold. I now use a cream called trumeel(for inflammation) to rub on my lower back more on right side and I take a multi-vitamin, to help repair the tissue.    I also read -- do not use bad form (lifting, sitting, or standing) and no awkward or heavy lifting for 6 months. Walking is very good for you and constant stretches with legs (I do these laying down), slowly and deliberately.  A herniated (or bulging) disc can 're-absorb' itself back into the spine IF you take care of not aggravating it.  

I hit the 6 mo. mark in Jan 2012.  I guarantee you I will be working extra hard at taking care of myself to make sure that bulging disc re-absorbs itself!  
Thank you Ana-Maria, I'm glad you're feeling better. You certainly did put forth a lot of good effort. You're an inspiration to us all.

It's not uncommon for people to injure themselves when first getting back into exercise.

You wrote  that you "Lay down feet laying over stack of pillows.. It looked like I was sitting down in a laying down position."

This is an excellent position for some one who has low back problems. I recommend using a footstool, think firm surface. Rest your bent legs (90 degrees) on the stool and lift your pelvis. Hold and relax into this position.

You wrote that you were "Alternating leg 'draped' over leg for stretches, keeping back flat on floor."

This is a good stretch for the hamstrings. For the best results you must breath and relax into a stretch and you must hold the stretch, this allows the muscle time to adapt. Stretch three times then move the muscle through it's full range of motion.

You wrote that you were advised to "Hold in tummy when standing."

Holding in your tummy, contracting your abdominal muscles, is an exercise and used when you need to brace yourself.

You wrote that you  were " ...flat on back on floor, leg raise (very carefully I might add, hard when you can't straighten it out)."  

The reason you can't straighten out is because your hamstring muscles are spasming/inflamed. Avoid sitting in hard chairs that dig into the back of your legs.

Straight leg raises is an advanced exercise to be done only by someone with strong abdominal muscles. If the abdominals are weak the pelvis tilts anteriorly which causes the low back to arch (pop). If the abdominals are strong the low back is pressed against the table and stays in a posterior tilt.

Traumeel is an anti-inflammatory, a homeopathic ointment.

If you sleep on your side place a long pillow between your knees and ankles. And don't stay in any one position for too long.

Rest well.
Cold is first - followed by heat - then active range of motion. That is the order.
You really are a special person PPNH. You are an inspiration to those who post their stories of desperation and have been largely written off by various sectors of the medical community.
I last posted on. Feb 27 2011 and appreciated your reply. I have tried to keep up stretching and exercising as much as possible but strong massage and any chiropractic manipulation results in my burns returning in Spades.
Since my last communication I have had an MRI on my lower back and I have 3 bulging discs, the worst being at L3/L4. Do you think this could have anything to do with my burns?
I am 71 and had a radical Prostatectomy 14 yeasts ago and have been on Androgen Deprivation Therapy ever since, as the cancer was outside the capsule. Another question; do you think that the ADT treatment could have led to the deterioration in my back and possibly my knees?
Do you think it might help my burns as well as my back pain by having a  facet joint injection?
I live in Western Australia and keep active with property development, chairing an IT company and being a part time art consultant. Sometimes I have to push myself if I have bad pain and burning but at least it takes my mind off my problems.
Keep up the good work and many thanks.
Thank you agpb. I appreciate the compliment and the words of encouragement. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I was away.

It's interesting that you wrote because I have been thinking about you ever since and I wanted to tell you that your burning sensations may be due to bulging discs, nerve entrapment and/or activated trigger points.

I'm not sure what you mean when you describe your back as deteriorating. If you're referring to your bulging discs they will heal in time but if you suffer from osteoporosis yes, the ADT treatment may be responsible.

There is only one way to know for sure if a facet joint injection will help you. Please let us know if you decide to take that route and what the results are.

As far as your knees are concerned I would need to make an assessment based on your history. The 70 year old client I have been working with used to be a runner. He ran competitively and he was the best.

I'm left wondering if your chiropractor and masseuse/masseur knew that you suffered from bulging discs when they treated you and where the other herniations are.

I'm always impressed when people push through their pain - what's more inspiring than that!
I was having a lot of pain today so I decided to go on line to see what I could find about my pain issues and I came across your conversation with these nice people and you seem to have lots of healing in your kind and gentle words.  Therefore, I thought I would jump into the conversation if you don’t mind.

I am a 45 year woman who has suffered these same type of symptoms for the last 10 years and I have the same story as these good folks have. It seems I have tried all Western and Alternative Med treatments you can think of.   It makes me so sad that other folks are suffering as I with this.  It is a slow torture and torment throughout one’s day, week, month and year.   I would not wish this on anyone.  

My symptoms are like everyone elses except my burning is in my left faucet joint area down into my buttocks and wraps around to the front of my Quad. All across my low, low back hurts. I cannot sit, stand or even lay down for more than 10 minutes without the pain sending me thru the roof.  I take Ambien just to get me through the night.    My pain is increasingly getting worse and worse and like some folks the doctors have no idea what is wrong with me.  I am not able to take anything orally for the pain because all the anti-inflammatory drugs I have taken over the last 10 years have messed up my system and my body does not tolerate any of the painkillers.  Boy! How I wish I could take a pill and make it all go away.  One gal said she is using Trameel – I haven’t heard of that.  I will try to find that.  

What I am currently doing is:  Yoga - I workout at the gym - I lay down on the ground with my buttocks, legs and feet up the wall (sometimes I ice while I am in this position) I do the Static Wall. This is where you get in a sitting position with your low back against the wall and hold for a minute or so.  I am on gluten, caffeine, and sugar free diet (just started this diet again)     I ice - I heat (but I didn’t know about icing then heating then gentle exercises - like you advised that lady to do)  I will try that.  I do my spine exercises and stretches – I use Bio Freeze and Asper Cream, but the last couple of weeks nothing seems to help much. Resting and moving is just not helping but what else is there????    Oh! I am praying too.  My worst times are during weather changes.  Why is that?  
Wow! Such kind and gentle words!!!!   How many people do you think you are going to help with that type of attitude?  I am surprised you are not suffering with the rest of us.  Oh! Wait - I think you are suffering but in a different way.
Holy smokes! What happened 10 years ago? And what could be happening to perpetuate your problem? You mentioned that you "tried all Western and Alternative Med treatments you can think of" but what you need is an evaluation to determine the source of the problem.

Pain across your lower back is indicative of active trigger points in the lower rectus abdominis muscle. I'm going to suggest that you start here because you describe pain in relationship to your posture. You wrote " I cannot sit, stand or even lay down for more than 10 minutes without the pain sending me thru the roof."

Lay on your back (supine) and bend your knees. Using your fingers press into your lower rectus abdominis muscle. Keep moving around until you find a sore spot. Most lower trigger points are located on the outside border of this muscle and where it attaches to the pubic bone. Apply pressure. If you hit on the right spot you will reproduce the pain in your lower back. If this is the source of your problem the rest will take care of itself.

If you're unsure whether the pain is due to something other than muscle raise your legs ever so slightly to tense the abdominals. If the spot is still sore that indicates a positive Carnett's sign. Then you know the problem is in the abdominal muscle and due to nerve impingement and/or an active trigger point.

If you can't find a sore spot have someone else apply the pressure - preferably someone skilled in palpating muscles.

Good luck and please make every effort possible and focus on the abdominal muscles. I'm sure that's the source of your problem as the abdominals are often overlooked as a source of back pain.
I have the same program with lower back pain and burning across from one hip bone to other hip bone... I had 4 MRI in the past 5 yrs and going to for my 6th on Thursday,  Right now I'm on prednisone 80mg and number of pain meds that doesn't do anything for me... The doctors are thinking of opening me up ....... to see what's going on... what do you think?

Here's something that I haven't read... that happens to me around few months...  My back locks up and I can't stand up straight for about 3-4 days. I pick up a sock from the floor - to just seating in a chair and start getting up and it hits... I end up at the ER to get shots to my back to lower relieve the pressure and pain..........help me... if you  can.....

I am suffering from buttock burning sensation for last 2 years. My right side from HIP starts paining till my foot  when i get sharp pain in my buttock area  . Several MRi has been done & nothing have been found. The pain is so bad that all my routine activity gets disturbed. When u get the pain  & i get friction kind movement in my buttocks with several movements which is painfull . Intially it was in my right side but nw its spreading to my left also .

I have gone through excercise but they r not helping much . its almost years & half nw that i am exercising nw .

Please help , as its very depressing . please drop your reply to my mail id ...... ***@**** .

looking forward for your help .
I am an 18yr old, 6ft 2in tall, 150lb male and I have mostly similar symptoms. My neurologist diagnosed me with degenerative disk disease. You should check back in with your neurologist and ask about this diagnosis. Hope I helped cause I know the pain is excruciating!
I have problems with burning in my upper back, buttocks and hamstrings. It gets aggravated when I am sitting or laying on my back. I have to sit and lay on my sides and change sides often because of burning that gets worse the longer I am in one position.  In summer times it gets worse because of the heat sensation when sitting and if feels sometimes if the heat" builds up" and I have to stand up for some relief!
I went to dr etc. but they do not know what can cause this, did blood tests etc.
All the muscles in my back, especially those that covers my spine feels bruised to the touch,(especially the upper part of my spine) my neck are so stiff, feels if I were in a "crash"! I told the dr. this, but he did not think any thing about it, because according to him, it cannot cause this kind of symptoms...
It all started when my neck and shoulder muscles went into a spasm after I bought a new pillow to sleep on and from there on my muscles in my back and neck started to feel so sore and "bruised"
Went to physio therapist for 4 sessions, it was painful sessions! but it did not help at all!
Can you please give any advice?  Can this sore and stiff(spasms) muscles cause the burning in my back, buttocks and thighs? The burning gets worse with compression!?
I would appreciate any feedback, seeing that I am walking with this for more than a year now.  Thanks
I also suffer from all the burning in the buttocks area.. It started after i got hurt at work and had to have surgery on my lower back .. But the pain in my left buttock area burns so bad and now it has spread to the right side . When i sit I also get pains down my legs and I am so tired of this ****!! The doctor says OHHH everything is fine... NO ITS NOT.. They have no freakin clue what kind of pain we are going thru .. and this **** makes u feel like u r loosing ur freakin mind.. I got to pain management and have had four blocks done this year and the only thing happening is i am getting worse.. It affects my everyday living.... But while the rich get richer ... Us back injured folks stay hurting longer and broker..

I too have same problem.
Have you cured your problem, if yes can you please let me know
In my nerve conduction test tibial and peroneal nerves are functioning very slow.
I have tried chiropractor, no help at all.
The problem started due to wearing bad shoe in my both feet 8 months ago then it spread  till my lower back. The worst part is that I can't sit due to burning in Buttocks, lower back, back side of leg basically where it is latching .
Please let me know cure
Hi Venkatsuresh,
I too have same problem as u described , but in both feet and one hand.
Can you please tell me what kind of cure she got.
I am Indian female 35 years old.
i have a burning sensation around lower back, hip area and under my feet. i have been for medical check ups, urologist R15 000.00 MRI brain and spinal cord. No problem according to the professionals. The most annoying thing about the professionals not having the answer is that they assume you are stressed of suffer from anxiety., and waist your time on medication that makes no difference.        
I'm sorry that you've been suffering and I'm sorry I did not respond sooner but I only just received your post.

I know what your problems is and it's not due to the muscles in your back locking up - it's the opposite - the muscles in the front of your body are locking up. Your hip flexors are spasming. The pain you feel across your lower back is a result of tight iliopsoas and/or tight rectus abdominis muscles. These muscles contract (tighten up) when you bend forward (flex at the hip) or when you sit in a chair with your knees higher than your hips (car seats are very bad for this).

There is an easy test to check for tightness. Lay flat on your back on the bed with your bottom at the edge (the foot) of the bed. Grasp your bent right leg under the knee and bring it up towards your chest. Make a note of where your left leg is. If it is not hanging down freely but up in the air your hip flexors are tight. Switch legs and test the other side.

There are a couple of simple and effective stretches that you must do to relieve the muscle tension. To stretch the iliopsoas muscles lay on your back, bend your knees and spread them apart keeping the soles of your feet together. Place pillows on the outside so you can rest your knees where you feel a good stretch between your legs. Hold this position. I think you may also find it helpful to place a thick firm pillow under your bottom.

To stretch the rectus abdominis muscle lay face down (prone) on the floor and breath in as you lift your upper body using your arms. Keep your pelvis pressed firmly against the floor. This position in yoga is called the cobra.

These are effective stretches for your tight hip flexors and you must do them on a regular basis until your muscles are functioning normally again.

It's interesting to note that most everyone I speak with thinks that when they are in the cobra position they are stretching the back muscles when in fact, they are doing the opposite. They are shortening the muscles in their back and stretching the muscles in the front of their body.

I hope that I have made myself clear and that you follow through with my instructions. It's so frustrating that medical doctors aren't more helpful and that people suffer as a result.

It is in our best interest to learn how our muscles function so we can heal ourselves.

Yes, if you have an active trigger point it will burn and if you lay down on one it will burn.

I advise you to seek out an experienced masseuse/masseur.  And keep going back until you're all better. Just last week I massaged a client who suffered the effects of a new pillow. It was a good thing that she had a masseuse she could call. Everyone ought to have one. Years ago when I first started working the common comment was, I used to think massage was a luxury but now it's a necessity.

In the meantime, use tennis balls and use moist heat. Drink plenty of fluids before sleep that way you will be forced out of bed every few hours. When you sleep on your side place a pillow between your legs that fits under the both the knee and ankle joints. Learn how to roll on to the other side with the pillow between your legs. When sleeping on your back place a firm cushion under your bottom.

Don't sit on hard chairs that cut into the back of your legs. Don't sit in chairs that you sink in to. Your knees should be at about the same level as your hips, not higher.

Exercise and stretch your muscles.

Also, learning the basics on how muscles function and using proper body mechanics can go a long way in avoiding problems all together.

Feather pillows are best support for your neck and head because you can scrunch them up and size them to fit.

Cheers to living healthy and whole!
Depressing indeed, but I'm sure I can help you.

Here is how to tell if you are suffering from painful piriformis syndrome aside from the obvious squirming when you sit.

The Pace Abduction Test is positive if, when you lay on your back (supine) with your legs straight out in front of you, your foot (the right in your case) is turned outward a lot (lateral rotation).

It is difficult to cross your legs.

It is painful when you sit in a chair and try to push your knees apart when some one is holding them still.

It's painful when you try lift your knee against resistance when you are laying on your left side with your right hip flexed at 90 degrees.

Two ways to work this muscles is to lay on your side with your hip flexed at 90 degrees. Move the bent knee up and down and apply pressure against resistance.

Lay on tennis balls for a deep massage when you are on your side.

Apply ice and try moist heat.

Make sure that the pillow you place between your legs when you sleep is long enough to support your whole leg and foot.

Try to avoid driving as sitting with your legs spread shortens the piriformis muscle and aggravates the problem.

Please take action as you have been suffering way to long already.
i have pain for almost a year now... in the lower back,feeling weak and pain after bowel movement and i have pain in the thighs,buttocks,anus and behind the legs...please help...any suggestions...
I have been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at the L5-S1.  To put it in English it is a fracture of the vertebra at that level.  I causes pain in the lower back, buttocks, backs of the legs, ankles and feet.  The only position I have found while sleeping that helps is on my side with a body pillow between my legs.  I am on Lyrica & Robaxim to help.  The nerve pain has been covered up slightly but sometimes it flares up so bad I want to scream.  It feels like my buttocks, lower back and feet are on fire.  I have swelling in the feet, ankles, knees, hands, etc.  I also have a neck fusion which hasn't taken for the second time so now I have to go through a third C-Spine fusion.  I have had a Facet Block done on the lower back with no positive results.  In fact, the pain has gotten stronger and more pronounced since the injection.  See a Neurosurgeon and Orthopedic surgeon.  I have been bounced between doctors too and the only one with a sort of good answer is the Orthopedic spinal surgeon.  I have had two nerve conduction studies and neither of them has shown any problems with my nerves, BS.  The Physiatrist told me that there are so many nerves in the body that a nerve conduction study being negative doesn't mean anything,  Keep at getting help.  I have even been told by two very good doctors that I am disabled because of my conditions and Soc. Security denied my claim.  Unreal.  Anyway, keep at it.
why don't you ask your doc for an upright MRI.  you are clearly getting nerve root compression which may be more in an upright position than recumbent, so the MRI is not showing the real amount of compression you are experiencing when upright.
Recently, I have the same thing. I have something in my low back and butt cheeks that stings and burns all day. It is hard to sleep when I have it. Sometimes, mine is accompanied by bursitis (swelling in the hip joints). It USUALLY occurs during periods of high stress as I have more and more frequently due to money issues, the economy, a bad neighborhood and a disabled spouse who needs cared for. I am hesitant to even GO to a doctor because I know they will laugh at me. The only things that help at all are escaping the stress by leaving the house, ibuprofen, hugs and laughing and/or crying. I hope this helps.
i am originally from india, living in in here since 2003. i am in situation like you. 10 years back it statrted with burning in my back.what i am telling every thing related to this burning pain. since my teenage time(i was in severe depression and i didn't know about it) i had lot of  inferiority complex that i am short i used to think i am ugly all the time , never used to go to parties , if go also used to sit alone thinking that everybody thinks  i am ugly, in my college days i never made any friends , and i used to sit alone thinking that i am ugly. after i got married i was ok around 1year. then i started thinking that my husband likes other ladies even he looks  at my or my sister, and i used to say to him all the time(he is the best husband in the world, he loves me lot, he is with all the time, when i needed help, he is like god in the form of husband) i wanted to stop thinking but could not stop, i used to cry a lot because i could not control my thoughts. then i went to my doctor(we were in NJ ) told about burning in the back, he did not believe in me, and i asked him to refer me to psychiatrist for my thoughts he prescribed me paxill after month of using paxill my thougts, inferiority were gone, so as my burning pain and i was normal without pain. i went to india for 4 months. and after 6 months stopped taking medicine( i didnot know that should not stop depression medicines suddenly) burning got worse this time in my legs also. then moved to CA. then i went to different doctors nobody trusts me , they say that it is just  my mind (i used to have weared symptoms along with dryness in the mouth,used to burn in the eyes, hard to walk, talk,i couldnot do small exercieses, or swimming i used to get tired fast and burning used to get worse, it get worse before and during my ovulation time , and my periods, too much pain in my shoulders and neck, and too much muscle tightness)one doctor believed me that when i used paxill  i got better. he told me that its neurotransmitters in the brain is the problem. he gave me prozac for 6 months i was relaxed with the neck , shoulder and muscle tightness but burning pain is same. then i went to india and i went neuropsychiatrist told him about all my symptoms and he said burning pain eighter because of diabetis or anxiety. he gave me loropazam(atavin) and escitalopram oxalate tabletsa(lexapro) after using for around 10 days i was normal without any pain. whenever i am india and using medicines iam perfect without pain, normal. when i am here eventhogh i use medicene still have pain , not normal as when ia in india. the reason is i am so stressed here all the time all the time we are here (around 10 years) we never had any friends, family, hard to get pregnant never had children . we are only two in the house. my husband is more  spiritual, self oriented, has goals in life. on other hand iam more peolpels person i like family , friends, children and i feel so lonely and depressed all the time. i am 100% sure its because of anxiety and depression. talk to doctor who can understnad your situation tel him about my sotry me be he will understand your problem and  help you.
im suffering from the same symptoms, when i walk im fine but when i sit my buttocks and perineum goes on fire, even back of my thigh get hot and i have to get up to cool it down, i have pain in my lower back as well, and on top of all that i have frequent headaches now. it all started with a little burning down there without any other thing like images on google,  i visited several gyno and run blood and urine test (at that time i didnt have pain or burning in my buttocks) so by this time i was going crazy with no answer so i started searching alot on the web., the symptoms was matching with herpes, but how i can have that and im still virgin and no sexual act of any kind whatsoever??!! i did the blood test anyhow cause they cant take anyother way...it was negative for type 2 but positive for type 1 and she said "despite you are saying it still burning but there is no current infection at the moment and result of type 2 showing it is not new, and antibody in your system is for long time, some 3.5 or something, so we are not sure it is gentile or oral that u have" also she said "it is possible to get from public toilet or even to infect yourself if u had oral herpes by touching or something" so long story short burning didnt go away like they say about herpes within 14 days or max a  month, and my symptoms increasing day by day, stiff back muscle and buttocks and burning which reaches even around my anus, unable to wear jeans and sometimes underwear...i have some pus in my urine as well but my ultra sound for kidney and bladder (i have done it twice) are normal, body temperature changes and im depressed alot, cant focus on my studies or anything and gynos just telling me its in my head and put me on ciprelax and lexotanil which are antidepressant and anxiety pills, and TONS of antibiotics and topical creams for everything (fungus,bacteria, herpes, burning, oil, etc) no relief , pls help me or give me some adv. if anyone of you found any type of cure
tanx  
Please research Piriformis Syndrome.
hi, i have the same syptoms (symptoms), i had an accident 14 months ago, and since than i have problem with my low back that shoots down to my left leg with burning sensation and numbness in my foot and toes, and many times my foot and toes got too cold and they turned blue. when i went to see the doctor they did an MRI, and they told me that my luber spine is fine but i have another thing, it is dislocation in the sacrum and the coccyx, but i told them there is something else going on, and the time is going, then my doctor told me that i am imagining the pain and nothing is going on with me, i got mad then i went to another doctor and they found slight disc in L5-S1, and they told me that does cause the symptoms i have, and my left leg locks and i can not bend it. i do not trust doctors they all need money. hopefully you will feel better.
read up on dural ecstasia
My neighbor was diagnosed with MS and SSI turned him down several times.   I have heard thru several people that this is common but however if you hire an attorney, they will fight for you and win.  They take their earnings from your back SSI.  SSI will pay you bake pay from the time you applied.  You should not be out any money.  I wish you Good. Luck.  
I have the same type of burning in my buttocks and thighs when I sit for lengthy periods, for years, so I feel for you as I DO know how uncomfortable it is! It must be hard having to sit so long every day! ... I can tell you what helps me after years of having daily, burning symptoms (and going to doctors who do not know what is causing it which is very frustrating! ) When I know I have to sit for a long time, such as on a trip, I bring a soft pad made of a cut up 'memory foam' topper placed in a pillow case. I switch with sitting on that, and on a book for a while, so the bones at the top of my legs support my weight.  Then after an hour or so I replace it w/ the memory foam and prop my legs up.  We stop often so I can walk around. ALSO the best prescription cream I've ever used is one that has Lidocaine in it. It numbs the pain very well. My neurologist called it into a local apothecary (a pharmacist that mixes meds). The cream also has an anti inflammatory, muscle relaxant and a neuro agent, I think , called Gabapentin. The most effective ingredient, though is the Lidocaine. That's what you need , I believe, and an understanding boss who will let you take frequent walking breaks. Also what helps me is to massage the sore areas. It could be that pressure is decreasing your circulation which results in pain. I have located sore muscles near my rectum. Putting cream there and massaging these muscles have helped (muscles ANYWHERE can cramp  lol ! ) Good luck.
You my friend are so right.I  sustained a back injury 20 yrs ago.I was a body builder,many doctors seing the hyper musculature thought I was just trying to collect money from the workers compensation,at 25 an orthopedic surgeon stated I had the spine of a 70 yr old.Why? I had so much O.A and all my disks were so far degenerated.to make a long story short I live in Canada,we dont pay to see the physicians,or for CTs Mris, and most is all covered I have had 3 back surguries now all paid for and I find myself unable to walk now.Because I am having the same plus severe muscle tone in my butt Quads and hamstrings it is unbearable at times I am on 7x80mg Oxycontin,2 times a day am pm 1200 mg lyrica 80mg baclofen 3 x 10 mg valium 150mg methadone 2mg Nabalone I have permision to smoke medical Marijuana you would think I get pain relief NOT oh ya all meds are paid for to they come to over 4000Dollars a month I am going crazy I just turned 50 and I am considering a nursing home.I am in the proccess of tests maybe its another laminectomy plus my knees sound like a 200 yr old wood floor the creeking because of the arthritis I nee both replaced. I am a man with faith in my GOD as now he is the only hope I have I mfeel for you all back and its related aches and pains are terrible Keep praying people I hope your GOD brings you the relief you all deserve
I will pray for you to we will get threw this keep the faith and bless you all
Paul the hurtin unit
Thank you Paul. I'm sorry to hear that you're still suffering after all these years and three surgeries.  And, that you just turned 50 years old and you're considering a nursing home. Ouch!

Everyday you're swallowing pills in the form of Oxycontin, Lyrica, Baclofen, Valium, Methadone and Nabalone and still there is no relief from your pain suffering and anxiety.

I think you should treat yourself and spend the winter in the tropics.  Celebrate your 50th birthday in style and focus on healing your body.  Bask in the warm sun, swim in the sea and take long walks along the waters edge.  Swimming is an excellent form of exercise that takes the pressure off your joints.

My philosophy on aging is that every year we should have more fun than the last.  

Please Paul, make it happen. You're only half way through your life.

This could be a cervical issue causing this. I am a physician and also have the same issues. Have mild cervical stenosis. my neurologist did not think it is coming from my neck. labs nl Emg nl. Going to speak to 2nd neuro as well as neurosurg
i am in the same boat as you i have fought them for several years and now i now have burning in my lower back my email is horses_112188***@**** if you want to chat
My chiropractor who does a touch release method has alleviated most of the burning in my feet. However still gave burning in back of thighs & through pelvic area. Hope you find some relief soon.