BACK & NECK
COMMUNITY
Back problem symptoms-burning in lower back, buttocks, burning behind legs while sitting...
by versute1, May 14, 2007
I have gone to literally over 14 doctors- orthos,neurolgists, neurosurgeons, general practioners, and none of them has acknowledged my symptoms, but will only look at my MRIs and say, "everything's fine".

I have stopped going because I am so sick of paying them for not doing anything for me.  

My problem is related to my lower back and on one MRI a radiologist actually called it what it was- a slight? herniation of L5-S1 and a central disk "protrusion" in L4-L5.  But the neurologist failed to do his job and find out why when I sit, my perineum burns and I have a burning sensation that goes through my urethra also.  Also, while sitting, the back of my legs start to burn very badly, and sometimes my perianal region also.

Now, why can't a neurologist tell me what is being affected, given that it seems the nerves of my perineum and my bladder nerves are being compressed/irritated?  I am on Lyrica and Cymbalta, but other than weird dreams, the Cymbalta hasn't done much, and the Lyrica might be helping with the burning that I was having in my toes.

I have basically given up hope on doctors and have all my hope in God.  Anyway, just wanted to write to see if someone has any experience with the symptoms, or have seen anyone with what I am describing.  I have to lie down to get relief, but I have lied down with my neck on a pillow for so long that I strained my neck and my fingers and left arm started to tingle.  

Any suggestions anybody?
Member Comments (81)
by big orange fayray, May 17, 2007
I don't know why one of the docs would not prescribe PT, Epidural injections, Steroids, Trigger point injections, the list goes on. Maybe one of them could refer you to pain mgmt. This is all the things they do for me. Good Luck!!!
Big Orange Fayray
by gwen80, May 30, 2007
A patient at the hospital I work at had a similar issue, several tests were ran and finally as a last resort he was referred to a Urologist. They found the problem and were able to successfully treat it. You should try that and see what if anything a Urologist finds! Good luck!
by DAA, Jun 07, 2007
I HAVE HAD THE SAME BURNING FROM MY LEFT LEG AND DOWN THROUGH THE PELVIC AREA..I HAVE DAMAGED DISCS IN MY LOWER BACK AND HAVE HAD SPINALS THAT DIDN'T HELPREALLY..MY HORMONES ARE SUPPOSEDLY OK AND I CHECKED FOR BLADDER CANCER..BECAUSE AS YOU GUYS KNOW IT'S EASY TO BECOME A HYPOCHONDRIAC WHEN YOU KEEP BURING AND CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT..ALL MY TESTS COME OUT FINE ALSO..THE ONLY THING SO..MY PAIN SPECIALIST(AMONGST MANY DOCTORS I HAVE BEEN TO..)SAYS IT IS STRESS!!! I AM GOING THROUGH ALOT OF STRESS AND TAKE AN ANTIDEPRESSANT..NOW THEY HAVE ME TRYING XANAX..I HATE TAKING IT BUT IT SEEMS TO HELPS..BUT I STILL ICE AND ELEVATE AND TAKE B-VITAMINS,CALCIUM/MAG.,B12 SHOTS..AND WATER EXCERCISE TO RELIEVE THE STRESS..BUT I TELL YOU IT KEEPS BURNING AND FLARING UP ANYTIME SOMETHING STRESSFUL IS IN MY MIND OR THOUGHTS OR COMVERSATIONS...DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE OUT THERE???IT IS AMAZING HOW STRESS CAN PLAY HAVOC ON OUR BODIES..AM OPEN TO YOUR PRAYERS AND STORIES AND ADVICE..THANKS,DAA
by versute1, Jun 08, 2007
Hello, sorry you're in pain also.  I have settled on living with my pain.  It waxes and wains.  I am only seeing a neurologist, who has prescribed me Lyrica, for the burning in my feet and toes; and Cymbalta, to help my back and my spirits.  I have been on Zoloft for GERD, and now Cymbalta, for my back problems.  I like both of them, and think they helped me through the toughest of my situations.  The strange dreams are interesting also.

People at church ask me about my back, and tell me they are praying for me.  I am glad they are, and I've resigned for God to help me with my back pain, as no doctor can help me.  I shelled out over $850 in out-of-pocket expenses in April, for NOTHING.  It will take a lot to get me back in a doctor's office.

I pray you get better.
by 396SS, Jun 13, 2007
I have burning too.  Feet mostly.  MRIs, blood tests, lumbar puncture - you name it - I had it.  All fine.  I'm tired of the pain and $$ going toward it.  I take neurontin, cymbalta too.  Not sure if it's doing anything but emptying my pockets.  I feel your pain literally.  Keep on praying my friend:)
by lykos, Aug 01, 2007
I feel the same thing versute1.. I have the same symptoms...  Same thing with the drs they tell me the same things... I should give you my email or aim name so we can chat.. I have been apply for ssi for 5 yrs they keep turning me down said that im a healthy 29 yr old and i can get well.
by lykos, Aug 01, 2007
I also forgot to add.. That i get bad headaches ... I wake up with hang over like headaches every morning .. and I have stomach problems like IBS.. and all that.. and the med.. they dont help.. or to strong.. and I have a 10 yr old and 4 yr old and can not drug my self up like that
by phylbo, Aug 12, 2007
As crazy as this may sound - are you sure you don't have a bladder infection/irriation? The burning systems you describe, associated with the urethra and bladder could be UTI (Urinary Track Infection).
This is very painful, causing burning and overall discomfort in the lower back and pelvic area. sometimes. I'm NOT suggesting in anyway, that you don't also have the disks L5 - S1 problem, too. However; it's just possible that the other symptoms are coming from your bladder. If it's UTI, it is easly cured with the proper medication prescribed by your doctor. A simple urine specimen will show whether or not it's UTI.

Best wishes
pd