Back & Neck Community
Back shoulder and Chest pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Back shoulder and Chest pain

About a month after I had my son I noticed this pain in my chest that went up to the left side of my neck.  It hurt to breathe or if I belched but not to swallow. I had no cough or other issues, also anytime I laid on my right side my whole chest & neck would painfully throb until I changed positions.  I took pain meds and it went away for about 2 weeks.  Well last Friday I was shopping & was lifting a large mirror out of a box & felt/heard a pop sound in my right back shoulder blade.  The area was tender for the next couple days but thats all.  Last night out of nowhere I sat down & felt that terrible pain in my chest again, like someone was sitting on it & it hurt to take a breath.  When I leaned back in my chair the back shoulder started throbbing & burning like never before.  The pain went from there up the right side of my neck & to the left side of my chest.  It didnt matter if I was sitting, laying down, moving or not - it was constant burning/throbbing pain.  I applied heat & massaged the area for about 1/2hr & took Motrin just so I could get to sleep.  When I awoke this morning the pain was back and worse.  Im not sure if it's a pulled muscle, a pinched nerve, related to eachother or seperate issues all together, all I know is I need help asap.  I should go to the doctor and probably will but I have a feeling he's going to tell me to take Motrin & rest, well I cant rest, I have a newborn to care for - anyone out there have this before?  I need H-E-L-P!!
Welcome to the Back and Neck Community.  Members are here to provide assistance and support to individuals experiencing symptoms related to possible abnormal conditions of the cervical and/or lumbar spine.  Advice given is non-professional and is based primarily on personal experiences.  Please post on the Expert Forum if additional medical advice is needed and one of the medical doctors will assist as appropriate.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!  I hope he is healthy and giving you much pleasure.  The symptoms you reported are difficult to assess as they seem not to be continuous, but related to different causes -- positional changes, lifting heavy objects, etc.  The pain was partially relieved with Motrin, but returned in full throttle the next morning.
It could be unresolved muscle sprain/strain or a more serious situation involving your cervical spine.
Because you are also experiencing some chest pain, it is important to see your primary physician and have a clinical exam to rule out any possible cardiac involvement.  He will do appropriate testing and be better able to diagnose the cause of your discomfort.
Your treatment options can then be explored in more detail.
Please post back with your progress and any additional questions/concerns you may have.
Best wishes ---