Back to leg pain
My wife has a pain that sometimes goes to left calf, sometimes to ankle , sometimes to back of thigh, sometimes to lower bac, all on left side.   Have tried Ben gay, heating pad, ect. Never goes away completely.What should we do?

This discussion is related to chronic leg pain.
it sounds like siatica, if so walking does help, I get it to and the heating pad works well. I know it hurts but she has to get that muscle working again, if not it will kinda freeze up. she should get the dr to check it out to be sure that is what it is.
CAT
Epidural may help and physical / massage therapy definitely will.
I had same problem and complained and complained to my family Dr.  She said it was sciatica nerve and gave me somas.  Which only mask the problem.  Eventually I ended up in ER one night crying like a baby and that Dr. did not even touch me nor looked at my back.  He did x-ray and said samething.  I ended up going bk to family Dr. 2 days later and said look something has got to give. (crying)  She did MRI and said you need surgery but it took 6 mths to convince Dr. I needed help. You could actually watch my leg jump with every heart beat.  I had herniated disc L5 S1 and several bulging disc but had extruded disc material lying on nerve causing the pain. They went in and removed the extruded disc material and shaved the disc.  I also have degenerative disc disease.  So dont take her pain lightly.  Get MRI and go to a nuerosurgeon.  Not ortho Dr.  Nueros know more about the nerves.She needs to use ice not heat per my Dr. I take somas, percocet, valium still cause now I have herniated at L4 that has to have surgery,  Epidurals help some but not all people.  My Dr. didnt even go there. I also have spurs.  Its a never ending thing.  I use a tens unit I got a script for from my Dr which I got through therapy.Itdoes give me some relief.  But he had me stop therapy as soon as I got unit.  True she needs to keep moving if she can.  If I sit too long I am stiff and I can not stretch at all or I cramp up.  Some dont like taking meds but if that is what it takes to get some relief than so be it. I I have limited social life due to pain,  I also used steroids and that helped.  Just get her to a q neurosurgeon .  I hope her the best qnd u bear with her.