Back & Neck Community
Balance Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Balance Problems

I have had low back and hip pain since I was a child (over 40 years now). In my early 20s I went to numerous doctors who all told me that low back pain was normal and that most people have low back pain from time to time. Now, that might be somewhat true, but I was only 22 years old, in extreme agony, and all hunched over. And would you believe that not one of these doctors ever even took an x-ray of my back?
Well, to make a long story short, I ended up at a chiropractor who did wonders for me and kept me going for many, many years. It turned out that I had a curvature, several bulging discs, several compressed ones, plus a few other little goodies. All the result, of what they referred to as, a "congenital anomaly".
Anyway, about 10 or 12 years ago, I started having what I thought were dizzy spells while I was walking. The funny thing about it was that I felt a dizzy/tingling sensation in my head and in my shins at the same time. It only lasted a few seconds at a time and I always had the feeling that it was related to my back problems so I never pursued it. Also, I had just about lost all my trust in doctors so I wasn't about to go and see one about this. It was a little unnerving but I got kind of used to it.
Two years ago my low back and hip pain got much worse and so did the dizzy spells. The chiropractor wasn't really helping anymore and I had to quit my job (in a bank) because I just couldn't endure the pain and do my job at the same time. I applied for social security disability and was (not surprisingly) turned down. They said that that the "curving, bulging & compressing" that I had didn't "ALWAYS" cause people pain.(Boy, that sound familiar) Of course that is ridiculous ... because what if it does? Anyway, I appealed and they insisted that I go and see a "regular" doctor. They wouldn't even look at my chiropractor's 25+ year history on me.  Of course the doctor told me that what I have doesn't "ALWAYS" cause people pain.(Here we go again) He suggested Zoloff (an antidepressant) and pain killers. Of course I said NO and went to a neurologist instead. He did a couple more MRIs (of my spine - for the pain and my brain - for the dizzy spells). He said that I now have numerous "crushed" dics and fractures in the surrounding vertebrae which are putting pressure on my nerve roots. My brain MR. came out normal so now I am scheduled to have an evoked potentials test to see if there is nerve damage that is interfering with the nerve impulses between my brain and my legs. He thinks that my dizzy spells are in actuality a balance problem from the sensation loss that I have in my legs.
Has anyone else here had balance issues because of their back problems?