Back & Neck Community
Bone growth stimulator

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Bone growth stimulator

I had an ACDF on c4-c5 and c5c6 with plate and screws by a Neurosurgeon two years ago. I was in surgery an extra 1 and 1/2 hours. The surgeon said he had trouble getting the nerves out of the way because I have arthritis in my spine, but he got it done.  I had trouble swallowing after the surgery, it has gotten better but I still have trouble swallowing. I wore the cervical collar for 6 weeks like he said, and was very careful what I did. At 6 weeks I saw him for a check-up and he said I could take the collar off, but take it easy and I did. Two months later I returned for a check up. I told him I was still having trouble swallowing. I have pain in my neck especially when I used my arms and hands. He x-rayed my neck and said everything looked good, they both fused. The pain would go away and I didn’t need to come back.
I have always had pain in my neck after my surgery and I still have trouble swallowing. Two weeks ago I saw an Orthopedic Surgeon. He x-rayed my neck and said c5-c6 did not fuse, and that is why I am still having pain in my neck.
My question is if I take Calcium supplement every day and wear a Cervical Bone Growth Stimulator could I increase the chances of the c5-c6 fusion now?  I do not want to go through another surgery after the trouble I had with the first one. What are my options?