Back & Neck Community
Bulging Discs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Bulging Discs

Hi,  I have bulging discs from L1 to L5/S1. 50 yrs old.   Referred to 2 neurosurgeons & 1 orthopedic surgeon and all say there is no surgical solution.  I received no explanation why this is the case from either the first neurosurgeon or the ortho surgeon but I'm ready with a list when I see the 2nd neurosurgeon in January 2012.   The leg pain from the constant sciatica is intense and yes, like others, I've been prescribed enough pain meds to become an addict if I choose.  I also have several different anti-inflammatory prescriptions which I cycle through due to the side effects.  I've spent the last 3 years in pain only to hear "nothing can be done - the pain will  only  get worse". No explanation, no referral to anyone or even a rehab facility who could understand and help with exercises. The ortho actually said that when I couldn't lift my foot anymore, then "perhaps" they would operate  to provide some room around the sciatic nerves.  Why  do we have to wait until we are completely disabled before we can receive assistance and relief??  My GP is shaking her head disbelief.

Is anyone else experiencing this frustrating situation in Ontario,  Canada?