Back & Neck Community
Bulging disc c4-5, c5-6. c6-7

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Bulging disc c4-5, c5-6. c6-7

MRI Results:
There is straightening of the mid cervical vertebral column but otherwise cervical vertebral body height and alignment are maintained.  The signal intensity from the cervical vertebral bodies is normal.  There is some degree of desiccation of all of the cervical discs with some slight anterior disc bulging at the c5-c6 level.

Best appreciated on axial images is a slight central posterior protrusion of the c4-c5 disc.  Also appreciated best on the axial images is a mild broad based central posterior protrusion of both the c5-6 and c6-7 discs, with the posterior margins of these posteriorly protruding discs abutting the anterior aspect of the spinal cord at the c5-6 and c6-7 levels.  There is slight bilateral foraminal narrowing at c7-t1.

The cerebrospinal fluid about the cervical spinal cord is thinned, especially anteriorly, from the c2-3 disc space through the c7-T1 disc space.  This finding is consistant with slight multilevel spinal stenosis.  The cervical spinal cord itself is normal in size.  Morphology and signal intensity and the crainiocervical junction is unremarkable.

Impression:  There is a mild broad based central posterior protrusion of both the c5-6 and c6-7 discs and a slight central posterior protrusion of the c4-5 disc.  There is slight formaminal narrowing at c7-t1.

Thinning of cerebrospinal fluid around the cervical spinal cord, especially anteriorly, from the c2-3 through c7-T1 Disc space levels is consistant with slight multilevel spinal stenosis.

About 8 years ago I was in a car accident, went through about four months of PT.  Since that time my neck has been pretty good with an occasional flare up of pain which responded to a medrol dose pack.  For the last month or so I have had pretty constant pain in neck, upper back by shoulder blades, and shoulder radiating down to elbow.  The shoulder pain is dull for the most part but when I reach, point the the side or try to reach behind my back I get severe pain that lingers and then goes back to a dull ache.  My family doctor took xrays last week and then ordered the MRI.  I posted the results above.  He wants my to go to PT again for a few weeks.  Should I see a specialist and if so what type of specialist,
do my MRI results make it sound worse than it is?

Thanks for your input.
Sounds like you had success with PT in the past, hopefully it will help you again. As far as seeing a specialist, if you feel like the PT isn't helping or that you're getting worse, I would definitely see one. You can see a Neurologist or a Surgeon. Neuro or Orthopedic. Before considering surgery, I would exhaust all conservative treatment options first, because once you start on the surgical road, there's no turning back. This I know from personal experience.

Good Luck
Can anyone give me an idea of how bad this is?  I'm not sure what the MRI means.  My doctor had a nurse call me to say everything is the same as my MRI and to schedule PT.  I start PT today.  Can anyone translate this for me?  

Thanks for the input Kalvin. I will try everything possible before I would consider surgery.  

The doc said if PT doesn't work we'll try pain management. Can anyone tell me whats involved with that?
Post your MRI results on the Neurosurgery (Expert Forum)
Here is the link http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Neurosurgery/show/331