Back & Neck Community
Bulging disks and incontinence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Bulging disks and incontinence

Hi everyone,

I am feeling pretty scared. My L5-S1 disks are bulging centrally and to the left as a result of trauma 8 years ago. MRIs show a fair amount of disk degeneration as well. Lately I have been experiencing urinary incontinence. Just the inability to make it to the bathroom sometimes. Then last night I awoke to find out I had flat out wet the bed. Granted I had been out drinking but this has never happened before. And the problem seems to be getting more frequent. I also have intermittent weakness/numbness/pain down the left leg.

My chiropractor is concerned about this new development in my condition, and I understand incontinence is a pretty bad sign. The incontinence went away when I got a cortisone shot but came back worse when the shot wore off. I am very freaked out. Can anyone comment on this? Similar experiences or other thoughts? Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi and welcome to the back and neck support forum.

May I ask when u had ur last MRI?....

If it has been awhile since ur last MRI I would suggest u get another one...including the lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine.

There r conditions that can be a result of a trauma such as urs....it can cause some of the symoptoms u mentioned...without the MRI and reports it is difficult to speculate.....

Issues in the lumbar spine can cause incontinence...it can also do the opposite and slow everything down with the feeling like u always have to go, but never finish.This can also affect the bowel as well.

Most important, when was the last MRI?

"selma"
Thank you for responding. I had an MRI in November 2008. The doctor told me he was "underwhelmed" about my condition and recommended cortisone shots. The shot worked great but now I am worse off than before and as I understand it, bladder incontinence is something that should be dealt with immediately.
U r welcome...was the MRI of the lumbar spine?

Was this underwhelmed dr aware of ur bladder issues?

If so and nothing was done, by all means get a second opinion.

"selma"
The MRI was of the entire spine.

No, I didnt tell the doc about the bladder issues. At the time it was infrequent and not too severe. And, honestly I was embarrassed. I wasn't sure the problem was because of my back. After research, I understood what was going on.

Last nights problem was most likely exacerbated by the drinking but it seems like it wouldn't have occurred at all if I didn't have disk problems.
U r probably right, but u should mention it to ur dr regardless.
Make sure it is not something more and nip it in the bud!! : )

Do u have ur report of ur MRI?.....u may want ur dr to re view it again after u get over the embaressment of having a bladder issue.

What most may not realize is that if it is affecting ur bladder it can affect ur pelvic area too.....which can lead to other issues even harder to discuss.

I pray u get ur answers
"selma"