Back & Neck Community
Burning nerve endings for back relief HELP?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

My pain radiates from under my right shoulder blade, to under my rib cage in front.  Hurts worse when I sit.  Tried a block but it didnt work.  Now they want to do some sort of nerve burning on T6-10.  Has any one ever had this done?

What should I expect?

Thank YOu
Hi Brucer, I'm also going for the nerve burning for back pain relief from my pain management doc.  I had one diagnostic block done which only lasted about 5 mins (I actually think I was pain free durring that time due to all the happy drugs they had given me),  I am scheduled for diagnostic test number 2 on the 3rd of next month.  Now per my doc they have to do atleast 2-3 diagnostic blocks before they decide if burning will work. Has your doc done more then one test yet?
BRUCE-- I HAD THIS.  I AM FINE NOW.  I BELIEVE THIS COMES FROM MUSCLE SPASM of  muscles under and around the scapula, specifially the serratus muscle and perhaps other scapular stabilizers. The fix for me was heat, trigger point/myofascial release, and then stretching the tight muscles with constant attention to posture correction. I also did plenty of mid back exercises to stenghten the rhomboids and my core. I worked on myself for 1 hour at a time, 3 times per day for 2-3 months before i got relief. Muscles have a stubborn memory. This is why massage feels great for an hour, and then the muscles go back to where they were and start hurting again. If you have forward head posture, or hunched posture from computer use, for example, you can develop something called Upper Crossed Syndrome which basically means a short tight group of muscles and a weak group of counter muscles are out of balance. This can wreak havoc on the upper torso, cause neck pain, arm symptoms, shoulder problems etc. I had the pain under and around the scapula and the tingling and burning under and around my nipple, and on my side. Gone.
You might want to Get a book by Clair Davies called the "trigger point manual" and go to town. I cant tell you not to have your nerves "burnt" but I certainly can tell you that if it was me I wouldn't do that in a million years.  I would bet my last dollar you are suffering from either an overuse injury or a muscle imbalance of some sort.tretments for both are similar. Look up Upper and Lower Crossed Syndrome on the internet.
thank you.  Im going to see a chiropractor again tomorrow and then will decide.  DId you have any back pain?  or mainly front?
Hi Bruce  I had radio frequency nerve ablation done on my neck, mid-back and lower-back due to a broken back and several other smaller injuries along my spine that cause me a lot of pain.  Yes, they do have to do two sets of diagnostics, but it's for insurance purposes.  Leave it to insurance to make them do something twice!  Yeah, but the happy juice is good. Right!  Anyway, the radio frequency burns off the nerves and it does work......after a while.  My husband had it done also for his lower back and he was fine right away.  I, on the other hand, went through a month of burning pain and then I suddenly felt perfect.  I woke up one morning and it was all worth it.  I know its hard to believe, but it's true.  All I have to say is, make sure that you have pain killers for the month afterwards, just in case.  Word to the wise.
I had it done yesterday.  When I came out of the procedure i felt like I had a knife stuck in my back next to my lung.  I was begging for morphine.   I went home and slept about 4 hours.  I woke up and felt OK, not as bad as before.  The rest of my day yesterday was ok.  Then this morning I wake up and my back hurts all over.  Not just where they did it, but the opposite side as well.  Sheer misery..  Went back to the Dr. today and told her what was going on.  She told me that it will take 3 weeks for the pain to go away.  I am in chronic pain now.  I hope this works..  ANyone else?
I  went through all the shots every other month to try to stop the pain in my left arm and neck. They did not work. Had the first nerve block test done. I woke up in such pain they kept injecting me with pain meds. I thought I was paralized couldn't move for awhile. went home after 2.5 hours swore never do that again. Went through that and still in pain ended up having 3 disc fusion been almost a year and having severe headaches and pain still there. I just want to feel nornal again and I can't see it :(
hey everyone...  quick update.  my burning of the back nerves was a great success..  no more back pain!  i can tell it would flare up and hurt, but since the nerves are gone i feel no pain.  good luck
That's great news Bruce!  I guess your nerves in your back are just like mine....they don't like to die quietly.  Mine went out kicking and screaming just like yours did.  I'm glad that you are feeling better and are able to get some relief from the procedure.

Best of luck in the future,

LissaValenz
My 18 year old son is having his nerves in his lumbar section of his back burned on 2/8/11.  He has had PT, 5 epidurals, 2 nerve blocks & has taken so many narcotics & muscle relaxers it is unreal.  His Neurosurgeon does not want to do a back fusion yet because he is still growing.  So his pain management dr is doing the burning of the nerves for now.  The 2 blocks did VERY LITTLE for his back pain but, did stop the pain that had gone to his left leg.  How long does it take to recover from this procedure?  He has been homebound since Oct 20th, 2010 &origionaly hurt it 3 years ago playing football.  He has Spondylosis & Spondylolisthesis & a burging disc.  As a mother I am very worried about everything that the drs do to his back but, I can't stand to see him suffer like he has been doing & I'm afraid of him becoming adicted to the pain killers.  Please let me know ANYTHING that you know about this procedure & it's recovery time plus anything you know about spinal fusion.  Thank you!
grace,   send me a private message and you can call me.  DOnt worry, its a simple procedure.  SOre for 2 days and then the pain goes away.  I do not get any pain there anymore and its been 3 months now.  The first one i had lasted 4 months.  This one should last further.  also check with the insurance to make sure its all covered.  mine tried to stick me with the anethesia bill..   said it wasnt necessary.  

Its a 'cold water rhizotomy"  if you want to look it up.  I didnt even need the pain meds they gave me for afterwards.  

BRuce
I had the RFA done on my left lumbar spine at four levels on the 7th of this month. The procedure itself is no different than the epidurals or blocks except they are burning nerves (the actually burning does not hurt as they numb the nerves first). The night I had it done and the next morning my back burned a little but nothing a heating pad could not fix. I did not take any pain medication at all. My back pain now is the same as before the procedure but it could take a few weeks to start working. Normally they give you steroids to help boost the process as well.

I just want to say that RFA is not a solution. It's only temporary and if it's successful than he may need to get them every few months depending on how long they work. Success rates are also different for everyone. He could get 100% relief or none. It's impossible to predict how much relief it will bring.
TRUE....  it doesnt work on everyone.  but it did work on me :)
The reason this trigger point is so excruciatingly painful when activated is because it is wedged between two bones, the rib and the scapula.
I'm a masseuse who has been in private practice for 23 years and I know your problem well - it's common and I know the pain can be excruciating. First let me explain what's going on, where, and what you can do to relieve the pain. It's really quite simple.

What you have is called an active trigger point. The reason it's difficult to get at is because it's located in the serratus posterior superior muscle and the trigger point is under the shoulder blade.

If you have a masseuse work on this problem you must lay on your side so your arm hangs forward so your scapula (shoulder blade) moves out of the way. You can relieve the pain yourself by laying on a tennis or golf ball while you lay on your back on the floor with your knees bent. Your arm must be positioned across your chest so your shoulder blade moves out of the way. Place the balls underneath the sore spot and let your body weight add the pressure.

I shared my knowledge on this specific problem in another blog and people responded with great enthusiasm. Many had been in pain for years and had been to numerous specialists and had all the tests but to no avail. But when they targeted the active trigger point with tennis balls the relief was immediate. Some people stood against the wall and applied the tennis balls and one person did it in the shower. Moist heat (the most penetrating)  is a good idea and in my practice I use a moist heating pad with a damp face cloth.

Remember to place your arm across your body to move the shoulder blade out of the way.
Ppnh, where are you located?
I'm in California.
my son is going in today to have the nerves burnt.  The insurance wont pay for pain meds so they said he has to do it without.  Is this procedure painful?
He is almost 18 and was hit by a car when he was 13. the guy who hit him ran but my son has been in major pain every since.

We are extrremely nervous about the procedure.
they wont pay for the pain meds???  you mean during the procedure?  YES you cannot have this done without being put out.  Its a rhizotomy??  
I went golfing the other day and woke up the next morning with the burning upper back and a weird sunburn like sensation on my left arm, back and chest..It has been three days and it is still there...unfortunately it is a 3 day weekend and my chiro/masseuse are not open..I just tried the ball technique with one of my kids jumbo super balls and it felt great...Thanks for the advise, hopefully this horrible pain will go away soon...

BTW, I'm in Temecula Ca, any masseuse recommendations???
Thank you. I'm glad it felt great. I'm sorry I don't know any masseuses in Temecula but I recommend you use golf balls for a more focused approach. I'm sorry you're suffering. Please don't give up trying to heal yourself - you can do it.

Good luck !
mine was from being hypothryoid.  Confusing, but at the time i had no idea why i had such horrible back pain.  Turns out it was from the beginning of the end of my thyroid.
I'm not convinced your problem was due to a hypothyroid condition but I would need to know more information. The reason I am not convinced is because your pain pattern was so specific to having an aggravated trigger point in your serratus posterior superior muscle and when you wrote that the pain was made worse when you sit I suspect you were leaning back against the chair which squeezes the active trigger point between the rib and shoulder blade. Ouch!

But I guess we'll know for sure if the pain should ever return once your thyroid is successfully treated.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you're feeling better and I wish you the best of health.
I'm changing my course. There is a possibility that your trigger point was activated by your thyroid condition. I think that is what you may have been implying.
I had my left side s2-l5 burned I keep getting trigger points that hurt so bad, and it has been a week now and it has continued to get worse ever single day. I have no clue what to do next all I know is I want a 2 ND opinion, I can't bend, cross my legs, pick up my kids or even lay comfortably in bed, any suggestions what could help.

Oh, how tough! Here is a start.

If you can't cross your legs your gluteus minimum muscle is responsible.

If you can't bend forward, roll over in bed or if you have difficulty climbing stairs, getting out of a chair and standing hurts the quadratus lumborum muscles is responsible. Let's hope you don't suffer from allergies and that you don't have a cold because sneezing and coughing can be extremely painful. As you have already discovered, there is no position in which you are comfortable and the pain makes it difficult to move.

Get yourself a lumbar support, tennis balls, a moist heating pad and a damp face cloth. Treat your gluteus minimus when you are laying on your side and place a king size pillow between your legs when you are in bed.
If you have activated  trigger points in your quaratus lumborim muscles it is not unusual for the gluteus minimus muscle to become involved because this muscle lies in the same pain reference zone.

To stretch the left quadratus lumborum muscle when you are lying on your side bring your arm up over head to pull up the rib cage. Place a pillow under your waist. Swing your left leg in front and and let it hang off the bed. Have your husband gently push back against your chest

Then place your left leg behind you (dangling off the bed). Your arm is stretched above in front of your head to pull up the rib cage. Ask your husband to apply gentle pressure on your upper body that is aimed up and forward.  Your bottom leg stays bent on the table.

The idea is to separate the last ribs from the crest of the ilium where this muscle attaches.

A lumbar support should be used only at the start of pain as long time use will weaken your muscles.

Good luck !
Im going to have this procedure done i went for the first diagnostic shots second ones are in a couple days i hope this works I'm 28 and an auto mechanic cant do my job with this pain,. And have spent alot money on facet joint injections and trigger point injections. I'm prayin this works I need my life back. Is this procedure pricy.
worked great for me.  relatively painless.   tell your doc that you want drugs within seconds of waking up from the procedure.  Tell them you want morphine within 3 feet of the bed when they wake you up.  
Hi, I have been very active in High School doing a lot of sports and now i have been having lower back pain and pain on my left side from my lower back to my shoulder for about 11 years now and have been to several doctors and all of them but one hasnt believed me (b/c im 28 now) the one ive been going to now is doing a lot more but they gave me a steroidal epidural and that didnt help, they have me on an anti inflammatory and a muscle relaxer and it isnt helping at all...they did talk about burning nerves in my lower back and i am so scared its going to hurt..they had to give me xanax for the epidural b/c i hate needles..my question is..does it hurt that bad and is there anything they can do besides burning the nerves to relieve the pain? (if it isnt 100% effective) i am tired of dealing with this back pain (i have a very active 2 year old that i cant play with) i know i should just "suck it up" and get the procedure done with the burning of nerves but i dont want to do it and put myself through the anxiety of it if it isnt going to work. Thanks.
you are in Belle chasse?    Yeah ya right baby!!    I am from algiers originally.  My best childhood friend had a restaurant in Belle chase for 40 years Tom and Jerrys.  Do you know the Hodnetts?

anyways, the procedure is a piece of cake.  If you are having such back pain, the procedure is in and out.  You have it done and go home.  Then for the next couple of days you gradually feel better.  It sounds a lot worse than it is.  When my Doctor told me about it, my next question was "how soon can we do it".  The hardest part was the first couple hours after surgery, i have not had back pain since.   bruce
After exhausting the epidural shots for lower back pain I had the Radiofrequency Rhizotomy procedure done. Both sides. It took away the horrible nerve pain. Pain that wouldn't allow me to stand upright. Much less walk. After three weeks I still have pain in my right buttocks. I can't stand for more than a few minutes without pain which feels like it is coming from the lower back area. Maybe arthritis? I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease at one point in time. The neurosurgeon twice reviewed my MRI's and said I didn't need disk surgery. Any advice would be very welcomed.
I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering.

If you are having difficulty standing upright your rectus abdominis muscle and/or the and psoas muscles are spasming. These muscles act as flexors - they bend you forwards.

The Cobra position in yoga is an excellent stretch for the abdomens rectus muscle. Just make sure that you are doing it correctly. Your pelvis must stay firm on the floor and your arms must be positioned under your shoulders.  

Years ago when I first started my massage practice I had a new client who came in bent over. He could not stand up straight. He told me he experienced pain in his lower back so those were the muscles I massaged. After the massage when he got up to leave I saw that he was still bent over. What I had done didn't help. I went running to my books and I spoke to someone whose husband had the exact same problem and this is what I learned.

The problem was his is psoas muscles were spasming. And this is the cure. Lay on your back with your knees bent. Keeping the soles of your feet together and your knees bent let your knees fall apart. Place pillows under the outside of your knees so that when you feel a gentle stretch you can relax into that position. The husband in question stayed in this position for 20 minutes then got off the table and walked away like nothing had happened.

Good luck!
I would bet you possibly have a CSF leak causing your headaches.  I hope this is not the case as getting a diagnosis of this is extremely difficult.  I dont know where you are located but if you are in the US I would recommend you go to visit Dr. Linda Gray.  She is amazing at finding and fixing CSF leaks following spinal surgery and spontaneous spinal CSF leaks.  I have what I believe a CSF leak following spinal surgery and two repair surgeries to fix the leak.  I am pretty sure I am still leaking.  I am now about to go in to have the nerves to my coccyx burnt, I am not sure what this proceedure is exactly and have no idea what to expect.  I also now have 4 further disc protrusions and severe back and leg pain with loss of feeling and burning sensation in my right leg.
a fellow thyroid friend of mine had a csf leak.   very rare thing, very hard to diagnose..  but they fixed her..
I have alot of back and neck problems and have for years . I took a fall in March that really added more problems to those injuries that I already had . I fell down some icy stairs . I felt every stair . I was completely knocked out . For how long I don't know . I know my neighbor came in and found me . He said he almost ran over me . Not good . My neck especially escallated from that time on . I have had the nerves burned 3 times on the left and the right side  my neck and 4 differant levels . In June I went in and they did the left side and 2 weeks later I had the right side done . I left there and came home and went to sleep for about 5 hours . I got up and I could not hold up my head ! Literally ! I had no strength to hold my head up ! I still don't ! I called the doctor that did it and he had me come in the next day . I asked if it could just be swelling in there and he said no . He put me on muscle relaxers . hmmmm . Then in 5 days I went in to see my pain management doctor ( same office ) It was so bad . It even hurts to lightly touch my skin !. My clothes even make it hurt ! And still could not hold up my head . So he said he could either do a cortizone shot and try steroids . I just looked at him . I told him he better give me the steriods because he was NOT putting another needle in my neck !!!  I mean come on now ! Look at me !!! He also gave me a pain med . Well , I had to call him because the pain meds were making me have seizures again . I have not had any in a very long time . So what does he tell me ? Just take them at night and I will sleep through the seizures with any luck ! WHAT ????? Do some of these doctors get their degrees at the local 5 and dime stores ??  I see that doctor again the end of the week but I am not sure I will trust anything else he tells me ! !  Then he also said that he thinks that something else caused it and it is just a coinsidence that it happened when it did . Well , I think the chances are quite slim . I just want it FIXED ! If it can be fixed . I have exercises that I have been doing on my neck for sometime . I am doing the ones I can . But they do not seem to make much differance like they did before . Anyone ever had this happen to them ?? I would like to hear how it went for you if it did . Thanks , Audrey
Fire your doctor.  Find one in your area that will do a rhizotomy on you.  Its less painless than the shots (you don't feel anything).  
Hi, I'm living in Ama, LA, in St. Charles Parish. Are you living in Algiers now. I used to live in Belle Chasse. Who is your pain doc. Mine is Dr. Patrick Waring. and I have had 3 epidarial steriod shots and going to have a 4 on the 27 of Sept. for degenitive disc diease in the neck, have 3 verabras afftected, and it is actually arthritis from the mri. The first to blocks worked great for 8 months and they said I did good and want to think about doing burn nevere ending  for this, just wondering if you heard about this in neck before. and if it would help. Thanks Valmypal
im in Dallas , Texas.   I lived in algiers for 20 years.  im an old man at 45.   the procedure is less painful than the shots!
HI I have been having back trouble for years and have been facet joint injections three time and two times with radio frequency But i was speaking to the Pain Nurse today and they told me that the consultant burnt the nerve in my back and that it doesn't grow back for about a year.  I got my done about 11 weeks ago and when they did it I got to pain relief while they were putting the 4 needles into my back so I don't think that they did burn it off but now he has discharge me from his records and such to go back to your GP for more painkillers which I am still on really strong ones.  How do you know if you got the nerve burnt  Brenda
What would you say to do if the nerve or muscle pain is in the right thigh keeping me from walking, get sick, and blood bressure goes up high. Had surgery at T12 Feb 2012 , fusion at "L4L5 S1 in 04 and Failed back surgery in. 99.  I am in so much pain especially on standing. Take any help you can give

Sandi Hardin
I only know about these for neck and backs.  I know that it can be done in other areas but usually its cutting the nerves.
Bruce, after two years, how does your back feel? The dr said the nerves grow back so the pain might return. Has yours?
Sandi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering.

First of all, you must determine what is causing your problem and whether you are doing something to exasperate your symptoms.  Start by gently stretching to determine which muscles are tight. Strengthening exercises should be focused on the erector spine muscles (back), quadratus lumborum (lower back), psoas and piriformus muscles (hip), and the hamstrings (leg).

It's amazing how quickly people can heal themselves if they know exactly what to do and what not to do.

Good luck!
I am fine.  it turned out my back pain was from low thyroid, hashimotos
Can any one tell me after having the nerve burned in your back . Does it come come back 6 months to a yr later?
This is what the dr told my husband
Thanks for any info
trying to get more info. about burning the nerves in my back and ;how does it work and does it last for ever or foronlya few months?Julia
Bruce or anyone who has had the diagnostics and rhizotomy:

I am scheduled for the diagnostics next week in my lower back. I asked my new PM if she would use MAC or twilight anesthesia and she said no.  She only uses a local.  Does anyone know if this is normal?
   I've  had several steroid injections in my back by a different PM who used twilight meds on me.  They were absolutely painless procedures and I was not fearful of returning for more.  But I've been told that the steroids are bad for me....
  Also, can you tell me what to expect after the diagnostics.  I am supposed to be taking care of my infant granddaughter and need to know how long I'll be out of commission.
  I hate being fearful AND ignorant.
Barb
Hello! I'm a 23 year old who had the RFA done last Monday (1/14/13). The procedure it itself is absolutely nothing, they numb the area so you don't feel a thing. I was mildly sedated, but my doctor informed me that you SHOULD NOT be put completely under during this procedure because they need to talk to you during it to verify that they have the correct location (honestly, I don't even remember being awake during it though).
The doctor told me it would be a rough three weeks after the procedure. The night of, I was hospitalized (this is NOT usual, my body reacts to severe pain with uncontrollable vomiting, the vomiting, not the pain, is why I went to the hospital). The next four days I was in very little pain, maybe a 3/10 (4/10 at it's worst), when I was use to living with an 8/10 (10/10 at it's worst). But now for the past two days I've been in NO pain!!!! There is still a mild discomfort, some tightness, and soreness, but it is so much better I can't believe this is real. The recovery has been nothing compared to the pain I was living with before, so if you we're able to take care of your granddaughter before, I'd imagine you'd be okay in just a few short days.

QUESTIONS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THE RFA:
As I said above, it's only been a week and I feel so much better already. But movement still hurts (just milder), and it is very sore and stiff. I guess what I'm curious about is, for those who have had this, does the relief continue to keep getting better for three weeks after the procedure or is this as good as it is going to get? I'm so thankful for this, but it's not one hundred percent and I'm very young and need to get back into college (I had to medically withdrawal my senior year), and start living life again.
Also, I'm so nervous that this really is too good to be true and that I'm going to wake up tomorrow exactly where I was before. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting extreme relief that doesn't actually last, or does the fact I have relief already mean it really did work?

PPNH:
You described my old back pain to a tee above. So I was curious, I use to get pain in my left hip bone radiating to the front and back, but I haven't felt it in a year or so. Now that the back isn't hurting so badly, I feel the hip again. Are there any stretches or exercises I can do to loosen up my hip or whatever needs to be done with it? And the lower back feels much better, but I still get a sharp pain on the left side of the back of my ribs that feels better with pressure or heat, any suggestions on that? These problems aren't as bad as the lower back so I'm hoping I can fix them myself!
just now saw this.  In my case it was determined prior to the surgery which T zones were going to be killed off.  (like t3 to t6 or whatever).  The doctor used a sonogramer in the procedure to make sure she was in the right place.  The first one i had done lasted 6 months.  Took 4 days to feel better.  The second one she used a different machine and i felt better the next day.  SHe went deeper.  Its been about 1.5 year now and i still feel okay.

easy procedure.  I live 2 miles from the hospital and actually jogged there and then had a cab take me home.  
I had the procure done 2 weeks ago I am in pure mystery, the doctor gave me some meds to relax me for the procedure ,I was to nerveous the medication did not work! I told the doctor that I was not sedated but he continue anyway(my miss take) I begged him to stop the whole time, at one point I passed out completely, I sobbed uncontrollable the whole time!! I really have have a great pain tolerance, and this was unbearable!! I asked for pain meds, I have a low dose of pain meds already they said this would be enough,well they were crazy!! They did give me a muscle relaxer for spinal cord injury I believe it saved my life!! I do not believe I will ever have this done again,especially at this office!!!
Id either report them, or sue them.  
I have degenerative disc disease from my neck down to my tail bone. I had 2 surgery on my right shoulder from bone spurs. Now, Im in pain in it again. I've seen the doctor over this and he said, it could be scare tissue. causing the problem. With the mri he dont see any reason for another. I cant lay on my right side no more the 15 mins. He did a mri on my left shoulder said, I had a bone spur that will soon be tearing into my rotor cuff. I said, it dont hurt, only when Im laying on that side to long. So, I refuse to do another one having both arms, that could be even worse.I also had ulnar nerve compression on my right elbow. My arms are so weak. I can only pick up no more then 10 lbs and have to put it down right away. Also, my arms ache so bad. My husband massages with muscle rub. I have to have deep tissue massage in my neck, shoulders, and arms to be able just to get out of bed. In my low back I cant hardly stand him touching it. He rubs the muscle rub on the low back for me to even get up. He puts this on at least 4 times a day.Im been.Iwas never dianosed with fibromyalgia but they put me on neurontin 600mg 2pills 3 times a day, going on 3 yrs. I cant tell a difference it taking it.  I been on  I been to chiropractors, physcal therpy, had trigger points & pain meds. I have been in pain managment haveing lumbar cervical epidural steroid innjections for 3 yrs.  And its not helping. I tried another painmanagement dr and he looked at my medical history. He put my on roxicodone. I never heard of it. I took it, it seemed to help but few days later, I was hurting in the top of stomach. I started vomiting, direahea for 2 days. Called doctor and told him and he put me on zofran, it helped alittle. But, I dont know if being sick is worse then the pain. They both was running a close race. I went off it for few days. I wasnt sick but, still in pain. Tried the roxicodone and zofran again. I wasnt vomiting but, I felt so sick.Pain was alittle better, while taking it.  So, I went off the meds again. Cause, I couldnt stand being sick. I was so, sick I couldnt sit up. With pain I can sit few, stand few, etc.Now, the doctor wants to burn the nerves in my neck and low back. Im sooooooo scared. Can this procedure cause you to be paralyzed?  I need all the help I can get.
no it cant.  it doesnt go in that far.  Its like one step more intense than a cortisone shot.  they use a cat scan to guide it in.   You an also try a tens unit.  bruce
I know this is years later but.....thank you for documenting your story. I have been in misery for a year and am now scheduled for having my nerve burned to stop the pain. I have been afraid of it. Afraid to hope. Afraid it would just make me more miserable.
Hearing from someone whom has been there is absolutely what I needed. Thank you for sharing. Thank you most for giving me a little piece of mind. I am a mother of three and can't continue to be sitting on the side lines.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
me?  LOL     its an easy procedure.  just scream for morphine when you wake up LOL   takes about a day to heal.
my husband has had his back fused together at the l4 and l5 area  then a year later he got the si joint fused also  he still in very much pain  now they want to burn his nerve ending in his back   do u think that this will help him  he is tired of the pills  and all the pain he still has  he has wanted to kill himself cause of the pain  I'm really worried about this procedure  I hope this helps him with all his pain    

I really don't know if I'm getting my nerves burned or not in the lower part of my back yet it will be my first time. I'm game anything to get rid of this pain. I've had this for a few years I use to stand on my feet I was a hair stylist for years I've raised two grandkids and working on my third one now. I would try anything to get rid of pain I can take it for awhile and then that's it and I've hit that's it. So I hope I'm a candidate to have my burned. Hope I'm one of those that are lucky and the pain goes away soon afterwards.
Its not really a burning, its a radioofrequency thing that goes in and has more of a freezing effect.   Make sure hes knocked out.  If it works he will be in a lot of pain when he wakes up til the next day.  Then in about 3 days should start getting some major relief.
Hi Bruce, just wanted to thank you for your posts.  Its encouraging for me.

I have arthritis in my lower back and bulging disc issues from years of a healthy active lifestyle and finally getting rear-ended by a speeding semi.....What use to be flare ups became a regular thing...this became unbearable for me.  

Steroid injections lasted less than a week.  I am 3 weeks in, from my right side nerves being burned and less than two weeks in, from the left side being done.......i am in so much pain!  It actually felt better, earlier on, but its getting really tough to take.  I do not like taking pain meds.

I did read a post where somebody said it can take up to a month of pain, before the burning procedure really takes affect.  If this was you, thx so much.  It will make today, pethaps, a little easier to get through.  Hope is a beautiful thing.

I see the doc on wednesday.....im sure he will have answers for me, too

Thx for your time,
pen
Pen,

Make sure you get the radio rhizotomy where you are put under.  Under no circumstance should you do this while awake.   There are two kinds, one goes deeper in than the other one.  A friend just had it done last week and feels better in 2 days.   You will be sore the day of and next day, but after that you should start to feel relief.  Remember, when you wake up and they ask you the pain level, tell them "10" so you get some good feeling drugs while you are there :)
I have had two steroid epidurals and two facets( a different medicine but same area L4 & L5. I am scheduled for the nerve burning on the 21st of this month. My pain management Dr. says I will get a minimum of 6 months relief. I am praying it works because my disk are herniated at L4, L5, & S1. I will post how it goes.
I have ALOT of arthritis in my back along with spinal stenosis and bulging discs and age. I have not been out of my house for over a year. I can't stand for longer than 3 minutes...............i finally was sent to a pain clinic where they tried meds, which really didn't work. Am looking into a spinal stimulator and hopefully insurance will pay.
I had the Facet Joint Blocks a few weeks ago and it helped ALOT. Now they say that since that worked, they will FREEZE the nerves...............
Anyone had that done?????????????????
thanks,
MONA
Do not get a fusion! Ever!! That is an archaic approach to fixing spine injuries known to have terrible success rates and is irreversible.   additionally it will cause problems on the discs and vertebrae above and below the fusion point.  I was 17 when I first suffered my spine injury in HS wrestling.  It wasn't diagnosed proudly until after I was in the usmc and 19.  A lot of it had to do with core strength and flexibility and it hurts like hell to work through. 13 years later after a discectomy at 20 it looks as though the burning of my best option...but there are disc replacements, discectomies and many other procedures before ever considering fusion. Personally I would exhaust all physical therapy strength and conditioning options first and foremost even if pain pills are needed in the beginning
i am having to have my nerve ending in my back killed is it pain full to have done
I am having my radio-frequency of the facets on the right side of my neck.This is the second time i have had this done, it LASTED 4 YEARS!!!!. I truly believe the outcome has lot to do with the DR!!!. I have a pain management                      Dr who is a anesthesiologist  ,He has done my whole back years ago and now i need him again, but five years is a long time to be pain free.If you are in near Merritt island Fla look up the space coast pain clinic, Dr Gayles. you won't regret it
mary
I went through many facet injections in my lower back, I have severe back pain after a car accident.  When those would wear off my Dr. from the pain clinic recommended that we try burning the nerves.  It takes 4 weeks for the nerves to completely "die" I had months of no pain in my lower back and no pain shooting down my leg, it was amazing.  Well it's back with a vengeance, I spoke with the pain clinic nurse and she said some people grow back the nerves and it is common for a small percentage of people who do grow back the nerves to have the pain come back also.  They recommend burning the nerves again and if the pain comes back, talk to your pain clinic Dr. about inserting a nerve stimulator or a pump in your lower back to deal with the pain.  You shouldn't have to deal with debilitating pain and take hard core narcotics- Don't get me wrong take them when you need them, that is what they are for, but you shouldn't have to live on them, that's no life.  Anyway this has been my experience so far- so i'm making my next apt for my 2nd nerve burning and after that- no more, i'm getting a pump put in or a nerve stimulator.  I'm tired of walking like i'm 90 and i'm only in my 30's
Brucegoldberg: I have the burning sensation in between my shoulder blades. T-3,4,5,6,7. Then starts out all over my back. But it only happens when I sit and lean back against the back. It burns so bad it's inflamed my stomach and through to my chest. I can walk around and it will go away. It burns like a 3rd degree sunburn. Does that sound like what you had?
Had back surgery in 10/13 had injections before that and then the surgery.  It was great for about 3 months and the back and leg pain started all over again.  I now have had 3 more injections and I still have back and leg pain although this is only my 4th day after the 3rd injection.
I am very active love golf, fishing , long walks etc.  Any suggestions if this injection don't work??