Back & Neck Community
Burning pain after neck fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Burning pain after neck fusion

Hi everyone,
I am new to this community and am hoping someone can help me. I had anterior cervical fusion at C4-C5, C-5-C-6 almost 4 weeks ago. This involved donor bone, a plate, and 6 screws. I was doing so well afterwards that I was shocked! I had hardly any pain at all. I then made the mistake of reaching up in my cupboard to get something, knocking cans out of the cupboard, and turning my head as they were falling. I now have intense burning pain in the bottom left side of my neck/upper shoulder area. I told my doctor who put me on Prednisone for 5 days. He also took an x-ray and although a screw was not in straight, he said it looked fine. He told me that I irritated the nerves too early. Well, that was about a week and a half ago and I am still in a lot of pain. My pain pills, muscle relaxant, Lyrica, and Gabapentin don't even begin to touch the pain. I am now taking 4 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours to get some relief. I have an ulcer and am not supposed to be taking the ibuprofen. I don't know what to do. Is this pain going to last forever? Has anyone else experience this burning pain? It is driving me crazy.
Monday I will be 4 wks post op from an ACDR C5-6 and ACDF C6-7...I to was told not to look up or reach above my head...I had to wear a neck collar for 2 wks strait so that kept me from doing much in my time of "HEY I FEEL GREAT...THIS IS MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE" or I too probably would have done a no-no....although I didn't do anything like you I still have burning in my L arm....my burning was there when I woke up from surgery but was WAY LESS and tolerable...I notice if I move my neck around(I am now restricted to wear my brace only when sleeping...in a car...or walking) my burning will increase....I too was told I was irritating the nerves....Ibuprofen only loosens the tightened muscles which is the same thing the Prednisone should have done or is doing...since you have an ulcer I highly recommend NOT taking Ibu....you are only asking for more trouble(in my opinion)
I notice if I rest and take it easy for a day...maybe even wear my brace to keep me from moving neck so much...I am much better that next day....hope this helps and you find some pain relief...good luck....

~Sarah~
My comments are not a substitute for medical advice and are only related to MY personal experiences
ACDF C6-7 w/cadaver bone-plate-screws...ACDR C5-6 (4/18/11)
2 Cervical Injections (11/10 & 2/11)
Multiple PT therapies (4/10-10/10)
Multiple Med therapies (12/09-4/11)
Thanks so much for answering my post. I have such a hard time relaxing that I am sure you are right that I just need to rest more. I am not the type of person that can just sit and do nothing. I will definitely try to chill out and see if that helps. I am anxious to see what my CT scan shows when I go back for my 6 week checkup on June 2. Thanks again for taking the time to answer me! I hope you have a great recovery!

Jenn