Back & Neck Community
Burning pain under ribs and back?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Burning pain under ribs and back?

For the past few weeks I've had a burning pain under my ribs on the left side that seems to radiate through to my back in the same spot and also my upper back. Sometimes I feel pain in my left arm and sometimes the pain is shooting or throbbing in all of those areas. It seems to come and go throughout the day. It hurts to cough (if I have to cough) and also to breath in deeply. I have no fever, cough, chills or any other symptoms besides pain.

I've been to several doctors, had a shoulder xray and blood tests done. All three seem to think it's muscular.

Does anyone else have experience with these pains? Muscle relaxers and pain pills don't seem to help. Icyhot helps sometimes.

Do you think its really muscular or should I see another doctor? I'm so worried over this and it's affecting my life, nobody even wants to be around me anymore because I complain so much. I'm in a lot of pain.
It does sound similar to my muscle spasms.    What muscle relaxers are you on?   I have more luck with cyclobenzaprene than skelaxin.
You best get to a nurosurgen fast and have a mri done!! Ive been having probs for years with fms neck and back degeneration, ect...my docs screwed around with me tooo long not believing my pain... so now i just had to have forastic herniated disk sugery!!!!! Your pain is just like mine was when mine blew out , then i got to were i couldnt bend over or even put my shoes on!!!!!!!! The pain under rib cage gets unbareable, and the upper back starts burning verticaly, the pain is so bad so go now.  So go to get a mri advanced if posible, tell them you want your whole spine mri-ed. t-spine first. then have them do your lower spine and dont forget cervical for you neck................
How does this happen? I am only 22 years old. I've never had back problems before (other then hurting when I'm on the computer too long) And there is no specific incident I remember happening for a back injury to occur. I've been dealing with it going on 4 weeks now and it seems to be getting worse.

I'm taking Flexeril and it works about as good as eating a jelly bean.

I just want to make sure this is muscular and not something internal like organs or something. I guess the doctors think it is because I have no other symptoms besides pain.

The only part that went away so far was the anxiety it has caused me because I'm being properly medicated for it (I've always had anxiety). So I know these symptoms are not caused by that.
hey i have the same thing and it just keeps gettin worse....ribs, back arms, etc. Really worrying me....dr. said muscles but im still a little concerned!

let me know what you find out.... btw Im 23 y/o