C1-C2 Spinal Fusion
Due to a birth defect in C1 that causes the vertebrae to tap my spinal cord, I have developed a lesion on my dorsal cord.  My neurosurgeon is suggesting I have C1 and C2 fused.  The only symptoms I am having is a mild constant headache, electrical sensation radiating from my neck down my arms, numbness in my arms and hands, tingling in my feet and constant leg pain.  I have experienced temporary paralysis from below my waist for a few minutes.  Should I wait for the symptoms to go from mild to severe before considering surgery?  I also have RA and mild stenosis.
I'm thinking the longer you wait, the greater a chance of permanent damage. One thing I would do is get another opinion.

Take Care
How  have you managed these symptoms in the past? Have you had a second opinion? Get informed and make a decision while the pain is at a level you can tolerate. Good luck. MaritimeFox
The first physician I consulted was an Orthopedic surgeon.  He diagnosed me with an unstable spine and suggested surgery.  I feel more comfortable with a neurosurgeon working on my spine so I had a consult with one who said my condition was stable and said surgery was premature.  My current neurosurgeon, third opinion, suggests surgery.  Three consultations in twelve months.  I wonder what a fourth consult would suggest.  OTC meds work well for the pain.  I can tolerate the other symptoms.
Hi:
Hope you are well.  My 14 year old daughter has also been diagnosed with an unstable spinal cord.  She needs a C1-C2 fusion also.  Possibly the halo brace.  I'm wondering if you've had your surgery yet and how are you doing now.  Thanks
Angela