Back & Neck Community
C3-4 left side foraminal stenosis - right arm symptoms!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi - new to this forum, but need some answers. Recent MRI shows "C3-4 severe left-sided foraminal stenosis secondary to a focal disk hernation as well as facet hypertrophy". I understand what it says but have questions on symptoms. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have surgical fusions as C4-5 and C6-7. Symptoms are very different this time. Last two were causing extreme arm and shoulder pain. Now I am having very little left sided pain but lots of right arm and shoulder pain, and progressive -though not severe - weakness in right hand and arm (pushing is not as bad as pulling and index and middle fingers have very little downward strength but good upward strength and little grip strength). Seems current symptoms must be totally unrelated to C3-4 problems, but MRI doesn't show any other problem areas. The plate at C4-5 was removed at surgery for C6-7 where there is still a plate and probably not good visibility but no mention on MRI. Also, if symptoms on C3-4 are slight, does its "severe" nature mean it may cause nerve damage if I hold off on surgery? Last question - what areas are affected by the C4 nerve?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TNF alfa inhibitors: remicade, embrel, humira. orencia They work like a charm. Get off sugar and starch in the mean time.

Blessings
This is almost exactly what I am going through right now. Only I started with c5/6, then moved onto 4/5. Now, they are noting problems with 3/4. My right hand is totally weak and my shoulder down to my fingers feel achy and just plain hurts. Am going to the neurosurgeon on Tuesday.
Your C4 nerve is part of the Phrenic nerve (C3,C4,C5)- important for controlling your diaphragm and  thoracic muscles for breathing. C3,C4, C5 can have pain, pins and needle sensation from the shoulders, in side of arms and even pinkie and ring finger loss of sensation.

I had a sublucsation (spelling) of my C4/C5 and fusion due to it in 2001 and my symptoms was pins and needles and loss of sensation shoulders,arms and especially fingers pinkie and ring fingers both sides.

I cannot comment on any of your other symptoms but would suggest that you find a Dr that can give you all the positive and negative impact on surgery and delaying it.