Back & Neck Community
C5, C6 problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

C5, C6 problems

My MRI shows that I have a severe bulging disc and spur at C5 and C6.  I also have spinal stenosis.  My doctor thinks it may be bad enough to warrant surgery, but he said if I wanted to go to an anesthesiologist first to try the epidural injection he would refer me. Otherwise I can head straight to the neurosurgeon.  If the epidural is a temporary fix, I would rather have the surgery before the end of the year, since I have met my deductible already.  Should I even mess with the shot?  What does the surgery entail...recovery time, etc???  Help please.  I have to make a quick decision.  The pain is getting unbearable too!
Definitely have the shot, these surgeries should not be taken lightly and should always be the last resort.

The type of surgery, really depends on the location of the disc bulge and the spurs. Anterior Cervical Discectomy and fusions are very common for your type of problem, I had one. There are also some Minimally invasive procedures like a Microscopic Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy, that are much easier to recover from. It really depends on whether you need a fusion or not.

Take Care          

Take Care          
Thank you so much Kalvin!  However, isn't the shot just a "band aid" for the problem that will come back?  How long does the shot last?  Why did you have to have surgery and what was it like?
Yes, the shot is like a band aid, but the idea is to get your pain level down which will enable you go to therapy  and work on some strengthening and stretching exercises, they actually do help sometime. The shots also help with inflammation.

I had and have multiple problems in my neck, severe neck, shoulder, arm and hand pain. I not going to lie to you, the surgery is scary and a little rough, and the recovery can take time.

Depending on how bad your pain is, surgery might be your only option. Have you tried any other treatments?
I am having ACDF on two levels in a month.  Am nervous about the operation, but I feel it can't be any worse than what I am going through now.  Am looking for someone who has had it to tell me what to expect.
I sent you a message.
I am having ringing in my ears  and when I bite down it gets worse   I have know issues with c5  6     spinal stenosis    for  at least  10 years ,Any Ideas ?   Or thoughts on this