I had a myelogram in June that revealed C6/C7 disc problems with nerve root compression? I've tried conservative treatments for about 18 months without any success. I am tired of the arm/neck pain and the arm numbness and basically want my life back. My only alternatives at this point are to try another injection or have surgery. The first injection did not help, so I am reluctant to try again. However, this will be my second surgery and I'm nervous about this too. My first surgery was a C5/C6 fusion. Does anyone have any advice on this?
I agree---the most conservative program is the best. Keep with the injections a while longer.
I have 3 a year.....the first 2 close together (say 2 months apart, then a third about 8 months later, then 2 close together a few months later.
I regret having surgery and really regret going on opiate pain control therapy, from which I am now detoxing....and not very happy about it.
Also it is important to exercise, yoga is great for back issues. I know it's hard to get up and go but you have to take care of yourself for yourself.
There is no free and easy solution and you may never be the same. We expect so much of our doctors and our bodies and sometimes it just isn't going to happen.
Ive been suffering on and off with various levels of pain since March 2009.I consulted my gp who took until May 2009 to figure out what was wrong.He says I have tweaked c5-c6 nerves but my physiotherapist says I have c6-c7 root compression.I was practically pain free since June but now am experiencing moderate to severe pain again stemming from my neck,into my left shoulder,and down my left arm.I am sick and tired of the pain and sleepless nights.
My gp informed me that after physio there is nothing more he can do.
From what I have read here it seems like he has been talking nonsense.
Any suggestions of what I should do?
I had also detected 'root nerve compression' on c6 c7 on 20 July, 2009.
I had intolerable radiant pain in my right arm, neck and shoulder.
I was given Pregalin-150 and Mayoril-Plus twice a day.
But I feel that what is working best to getting me well is 'traction to my spinal cord' three times a day and heat treatment on my back and right arm by 'salt mix hot water' two to three times a day.
Now I am 95% better.
I ended up having surgery on C3-C7 about nine months ago. I had more problems than was originally thought at C6/7. I have my life back and feel like myself again. I have no regrets about the surgery - so glad that I did it.
Yes, Acupuncture is wonderful for the pain I have suffered with due to disc protrusions in the C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7 levels. I have had pain since 1994. I am 38 years old now. However, the expense for acupuncture is quite high, although worth it if you can budget it accordingly. I have been a candidate for surgery for two years but was hesitant. Now I am researching the Laser Spine Institute and The North American Spine Institute. I am leaning more towards these types of procedures since they are non-invasive. I do not wish to have fusion done since I have degenerative disc disease. With fusion, my non-fused discs would have to be doing a lot more work and I do not think that they are strong enough to handle that type of workload. I am leaning strongly towards North American Spine since they take care of multiple level disc problems in one procedure. I've also tried the injections.....only a temporary fix to a chronic problem plus I gained 20 extra pounds from the injections and for a small-framed women, it was NO FUN. :-(
Hi karen ,
I am kashif from India .i need your help actually my brother hd met an accident due to which he got C7 compression neurologist has told that the nerve is nt damaged ,He is unable to close his palm and has no power in his fingers .Please suggest me wat should i do .PT is going on ...
I shall be highly obliged .Please reply me on ***@****
I had surgery for trapped nerve route at C6/7 just two weeks ago and had the joints fused, all my pain was on the left hand side. The surgeon informed me that the scan showed a problem on the right as well but as I did not have any right sided symptoms he was only going to concentrate on the left, albeit he did say it did a bit of work on the right side during surgery. I could feel the improvement the day after the surgery and thisis continuing and it's still early days yet. Albeit I have now started with the same pain in my right shoulder blade, arm, fingers etc but the physiotherapist I saw for the first time yesterdsay says this could be due to surgical swelling given it's still only two seeks since surgery and it will take weeks for this to settle. I am now on an intensive physio programme to rebuild muscle on the left and am going to have acupuncture on the right side. I think surgery was the right decision to make and even if the surgeon says I need further surgery for the right I will have no hessitation in agreeing to and having further surgery. I tried all sorts of things to help with the pain including steriod injections, physio and even liquid morphine and fentanyl patches which did not help. I would strongly urge you to consider surgery even after just two weeks I feel am getting my life back on track. Good luck
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.