Back & Neck Community
C7 Disk Subluxation with Tricep weakness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am a 32 yo male and have been powerlifting for several years. About 3 months ago I suffered from a bulging cervical disk that resulted in acute neck, shoulder, and left arm pain with tingling in the 2nd and 3rd digits of my left hand. With consevative treatment of NSAIDs and prednisone, the pain has all but disapeared as has the numbness and tingling in my digits. I still have minor discomfort at times that is relieved with ibuprophen. I also continue to feel pain in my neck and shoulder when I sneeze. I exercise daily without pain complications. However, my left tricep and pectoral muscles will not completely contract. This results in significant weakness compared to my right arm. Will the full use of these muscles return on their own in time? That is, without surgery? If so, how long should I wait before becoming concerned?
I am 27 and am in the same sitaution.  A little more than 3 months ago i had a lot of pain on my left side that started in my neck went along the back of my shoulder and down my arm and into my forearm (fingers felt fine).  The MRI showed a moderate to severe bulging disc at c6 c7 with foraminal stenosis and mild spinal stenosis.  My left pec tricep and also my lat a little bit have lost a lot of strength, probably half.  Use to be able to bench 315 and can barely do 155 now.

I have had a lot of relief from the pain although there is still some pain there.  A week ago I gained six reps with my left arm on an iso bench machin but this week those six reps disappeared.  I am starting to wonder if i am at risk of permanent nerve damage and if my strength will ever return.  This is a very slow recovery.
i have had c7-t1 surgery Dec2012 and am fighting severe weakness in my left hand . I have had 2 nerve studys and a MRI  and they say that the nerve is regenerating .(note I DIDNOT HAVE ANY HAND WEAKNESS UNTIL AFTER SURGERY) has Anybody ever seen this  my Doctor says it should come back!
What were your symptoms prior to the surgery?
It has now been a year since your surgery, have you gained the strength back in your hand yet?