Back & Neck Community
CONSTANT BACK SPASMS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

CONSTANT BACK SPASMS

So... my husband has has these lower back spasms which come and go, he has seen numerous doctors and many many tests have been performed but they all say nothing is wrong that everything looks normal and as usual they just give him pain medication to take the pain away but it doesn't resolve the issue just covers it up. no one wants to be constantly on pain medication especially the type of pain medication you are given for chronic sever back pain. We don't know where to go from here something has to be worng and doctors dont know what;s wrong.. where do we go from here we need help because he cant live in pain anymore nor can he constanlty be on these heavy prescriptions which is the only thing that seems to take the pain away.PLEASE HELP.
Chronic back pain without definite findings of abnormalities on diagnostic testing is very difficult to assess and treat.  I can appreciate your frustration as it would be easier to correct if a specific cause could be identified.
I don't know how long your  husband has been in constant pain or the type of tests that he has had done.  The fact that "numerous doctors" have been consulted without success makes his situation even more complex.
No medical doctors contribute to this forum and assistance and support is provided by members who are or have had similar problems.
Has there been a referral to a pain management specialist?  Without any pathology identified, the goal is to obtain maximum pain control while maintaining optimal function and movement.   Have any neuropathic pain relievers been tried? (Lyrica is an example)
Managing pain may be his best option at this time.
Post with an update and any additional questions/concerns you may have.
Best wishes ----
I have this among back, neck, stomach, head, arm spasms. It stems from my spinal and spasms outwards. Maybe he has spinal myoclonus like me- it is absolutely horrible! Spinal Myoclonus is spasms of the spine. My gets worse all the time. I have had it for 7 years Ask your nuerologist to give him an MRI, EEG, CAT Scan etc. Good luck.  Also you might want to have him try a Chinese accupuncturist I go 2x a week for 2 years. It is very painful but it did help a little- now it doesn't help but I am so desparate that I still go. (Mine spasms really hurt so not sure if he has the same thing but hopefully that gives you some direction.)