Back & Neck Community
CRACKLING, POPPING, GRINDING NOISES IN NECK

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I HAVE BEEN HAVING CRACKLING, POPPING, GRINDING NOISES IN NECK WITH MOVEMENT FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW. I HAVE HAD PRIOR SURGERIES AT 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, I HAVE TITANIUM IMPLANT AT4-5, 5-6. MY MOST RECENT SCAN SHOWS A BULGE AT C3-4, AND HYPERTROPHY AT ALL LEVELS IN MY CERVICAL AND LUMBAR SPINE. (I ALSO HAVE A BULGE AT L3-4)

SO FAR THIS HAS NOT REALLY BEEN PAINFUL, BUT DOES CAUSE DIZZINESS AT TIMES AND IS RATHER DISCONCERTING TO ME. I WAS LEFT WITH VERY POOR ROM IN MY NECK AFTER SURGERY AND AM CAREFUL NOT TO EXTEND MY NECK PAST ITS LIMIITS.

ANY ANSWERS WOULS BE SO HELPFUL
The symptoms of crackling, popping and grinding noises in your neck (primarily with movement) can be directly related to the ongoing degenerative changes in your cervical spine.  

Your recent scan shows new bulging at C3-C4 and increased bone spurs and osteophyte development (hypertrophy) at all levels of the cervical spine.  The result is the noises you are currently experiencing.  I agree that it can be disconcerting.  As a post cervical fusion patient myself, I also have similar noises although probably not to the degree you are dealing with.  

As long as you are not having significant pain or any sensory changes indicating probable nerve involvement, no major medical problem exists.  The loss of range of motion in your neck may be why you are having increased symptoms at this time.
The stiffness secondary to decreased ROM is possibly the primary reason you hear these noises when you move your neck.

If the problem continues and/or you develop any progression of symptoms, further medical evaluation might be beneficial.  The dizziness should be monitored and safety precautions used to reduce risk of any injury secondary to accidental falls.
Be careful changing position and use ambulation aids as needed.  

You are taking proper precaution in not overextending your neck movements.  Maybe using heat to the area can provide some relief.  

Best wishes and hope you feel better soon.