Back & Neck Community
Can someone help me with my lower back pain? (2 years now)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

So I am a pretty athletic kid; fit, great metabolism, eat healthy and stuff, but... I do not know if this is the root cause, but I was skating (downhilling) with my friend one time and I came out of a slide and tried to stand up straight on the board but it felt like I pulled a muscle all the way down the right side of my spine and it hurt very badly and I couldn't get out of a hunched over position for the rest of the day).
So I laid low, not doing too much activity for a couple months. Then swim season started my sophomore year in High School and I started experiencing lower right-side back pain/occasional spinal pain. So I'd take it easy. The pain kept gradually building up every time I swam and sometimes I had to just get out of the pool and go home. I'd get shooting pains down the right side of my thigh and random spinal pains also.
Trying to fix it: I went to see a massage therapist about six or seven times and each time I'd feel a bit better but it would only last for a day and then the pain would come back.
Then I had chiropractic therapy for a while which helped for probably two to three days but then the pain would creep it's way back.
Swim season starts again junior year. Pain becomes unbearable. Have to stop swimming. I go and get Physical Therapy during the summer going into senior year. It helped a lot, or so I thought. They gave me stretches which really relieved they pain. However, I returned to High School for pre-season swimming to get back in shape and during the fourth day of swimming I had to quit because the pain was too unbearable again.
So I go and see a specialist, the man who invented Primal Reflex Release Technique. People who have had physical injuries for over twenty years have seen him and only needed to see him once and then they were fixed. I have gone in twice already and cannot really afford to go anymore since it costs so much. But that doesn't really matter because it's not helping. I went once and got work done and felt alright for a week but needed more and he did some more stuff and he said to wait two weeks while doing his exercises and taking the right medication and whatnot and now it's been two weeks and I'm sitting here typing with pretty noticeable lower-right back pain...
The lower-right back (and sometimes lower-left) pain has always been the most dominant problem. Thankfully over the course of my therapies the shooting pains and the spinal pains have gone away. But when it comes to the largest most painful part of all this, I don't know what to do anymore. Oh and I have taken MRI's and x-rays and they showed nothing but some scoliosis which the doctors said was not a huge deal...
I'm only 18 and should not be dealing with these kinds of bodily malfunctions.
Thanks for taking the time to read this it really means a lot to me if you have any advice whatsoever
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. With structural issues ruled out with radiological imaging, possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, inflammations, referred pain from other regions, micronutrient deficiencies etc. You could try keeping your back straight and getting a firmer support/ braces, if this does not seem to help, I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you could try taking tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see if these seem to help with the pain.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Welcome to a life of pain and dealing with many doctors that each tell you different things.  You're screwed...on you're own now.