Back & Neck Community
Central protrusion and annular tear in the neck
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Central protrusion and annular tear in the neck

Hello,

I fell awkwardly on my neck last August attempting to do a back flip. It wasn't a hard fall but my neck cracked a little bit. Then my neck was stiff and painful for next few days and went and got a MRI. On the report it said "Small central protrusion and annular tear at C6/7". Doctors prescribed anti-inflammatory and physical therapy. It helped and my neck was pain free. Then I joined a gym and started working three months ago then all of a sudden my neck was little stiff then got worse, now I have a constant pain and stiff neck. I tried the PT exercises again and did stretches and bit of chiropractor but didn't help. So my question is what is the treatment for my injury, small central protrusion and annular tear at C6/7, ? I am hoping its something I can take and exercises otherwise I live in Mongolia and there aren't good doctors for surgery.

Thank you,

TJ
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Since the changes are mild a surgery is not recommended at this time. Appropriate management at this time would be conservative with a period of initial rest followed by physiotherapy and anti-inflammatory medications. It may take a few weeks of physiotherapy before improvement is noted. Meanwhile it is advised to avoid putting excessive strain on the region.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Since the changes are mild a surgery is not recommended at this time. Appropriate management at this time would be conservative with a period of initial rest followed by physiotherapy and anti-inflammatory medications. It may take a few weeks of physiotherapy before improvement is noted. Meanwhile it is advised to avoid putting excessive strain on the region.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you so much. Turns out the the pain I have now is not at C6/7. It's above that. My PT thinks, the other parts of the neck may have been over compensating due to the injury. Is that common?

Thank you,
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank