Back & Neck Community
Cervical Herniated Disks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Cervical Herniated Disks

Hey everyone... I have been scoping out the neck and spine surgery forum for a little while.. just a bit, back and forth.  

it appears the surgeon very often recommends surgery, which I find interesting.

I thought I would share my story real quick: a little over a year ago, after experiencing debilitating pain, I found out I have a herniated c5/c6, c6/c7 and spinal stensois.  Not fun...

Well, after a year of many doctors, PT, chiro and other altternative therapies, all except 1 doctor (who, btw - was the same doctor who did 2 surgeries on my sis who is still in pain) - anyway, all but one said "avoid surgery if you can."

The most current research shows that within 1-3 years, the "herniations" will "right" themsleves.  After a year of he**, but ALOT of phys therapy, I can say I am almost pain free.

It was scary, often painful. very confusing and never easy.  I went to a couple of the top spine doctors in Los Angeles, and they too said "if your life can allow for it, avoid surgery."  My gut told me to do the same..

I am getting to where I have less and less pain now, all the time.  Often only a 1-2 on the pain scale.

I just wnated to share because so many doctors are quick to say "fuse it!" when it's not always necessary.  I do realize not everyone can take the time to do this, and have no other option tho.

But if you DO have the option, it's worth a shot.  It seems to have worked for me...  NOT easy, but things look real good now.

Good luck everyone... and be well.

-mj
ps - there is also a book by Pete Egoscue called "Pain Free" which I highly recommend.  Good luck!!!  :-)
I submit to you that it is entirely possible, if not probable, that the "findings" on your MRI had nothing to do with your pain syndrome. Those findings are probably still there-- stenosis doesn't go away---and most herniations do not cause any symptoms whatsoever. those herniations were probably thee 2 years + before your pain started and may very well still be there. patients, end even doctors, simply blame tpain on those "findings".. that's how western medicine works. Congratulations on doing this right. The Escogue method is great-- it is a MUSCULAR BALANCE therapy. I submit to you that you are pain free now becasue you managed to correct muscular imbalances (usually "upper and or lower crossed syndrome") ----you probably strengthening your mid back, stectched out your hip flexors, re-aligned your pelvis and loosened and stretched the tight muscles  in the neck and upper back and corrected your posture......To me, as someone with a bit more medical knowledge going into my pain syndrome than you (I am a dentist) and as someone who is also pain free after 2 years of doing nothing but lay in my bed all day and praying that my upcoming surgery would help (I had 3---i neck surgery and 2 shoulder surgeries--- none helped-- i was a victim of my own medical training) I can't agree with you more. And I'm sure you did not just go to PT twice a week and then go home and slouch in front of the TV. I'm sure you worked hard on your own..... God job. Everyone who has herniations, stenosis, dessication (desiccation) etc  on their MRI's and blames those "findings" for their pain, should read your post---food for thought if for nothing else..... Sometimes surgery is necessary. Most of the time, I believe, it is not. People are just automaticlly inclined to believe that when something hurts, a doctor can (and should) fix it.