Back & Neck Community
Cervical MRI Results - Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Cervical MRI Results - Help!

Hi all! First-time poster, so please forgive any lack of knowledge/etiquette lapses on my part!

I have been having horrible suboccipital headaches (mostly on my left side), neck and shoulder pain, and loss of feeling/tingling in my left arm and pinkie and ring finger on my left hand.

My brain MRI came back normal, my my cervical spine MRI says the following:

FINDINGS: Torticollis with convexity to the left. Loss of normal cervical lordosis with subtle kyphosis. Apex of kyphosis is at C4-C-5 level. Cervical spinal cord is of normal size and shows normal signal activity.

Neural foramina bilaterally at C2-C3 level are symmetrical. Nueral foramina at C3-C4, C-4_C5, and C-5-C6 levels show no impingement on the nerve roots. Mild bulge of the annulus notes at C-4-C-5 level causing minimal narrowing along the anterior subarachnoid space.

IMPRESSION: Torticollis with kyphosis of the cervical spine, possible muscle spasm. No neural impingement.

I also have bilaterial cervical ribs, if that helps.
The MRI indicates a condition called torticollis or cervical dystonia, but there is no way a diagnosis can be made from an MRI reading without a history and physical examination.

I hesitate to mention either of these conditions because I do want you to create anxiety from researching torticollis on the internet.

An MRI is a snapshot of your body, and in the case of soft tissue disease, is meaningless without clinical information a physician acquires from meeting and talking with you. You could very well have a bad "stiff neck" and still show signs of cervical dystonia on an MRI.

So please, be patient and wait until you meet with your doctor. Don't jump the gun listening to some stranger's anecdotal advice that has nothing to do with your condition.

You need to consult with your doctor about this.