Back & Neck Community
Cervical MRI report

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Cervical MRI report

I am 26 yr old & fr the last 2 years, have had numbness & lack of co-ordination with right hand fingers, especially the middle finger. Lately, am suffering with severe ache on my right neck,arms,& head instpite of medication.Inspite of sufficient rest & care & painkillers, the pain keep coming back.
My MRI eport reads:
MILD POSTERIOR CREVICAL DISC BULGES FROM C3/C4 TO C6/C7 LEVELS CAUSING MINIMAL THECAL SAC INDENTATION

What does this mean?
I don't if you know what a disc bulge is so I'll just explain it.  The spinal discs are soft cushions that rest between the bones of the spine, the vertebrae. When a disc is damaged, it may herniate, or push out, against the spinal cord and spinal nerves.

A 'disc bulge' is a word commonly used to describe a slight outpouching of the disc. The words 'disc bulge' imply that the disc appears symmetric with a small amount of outpouching, and no significant herniation.

Source: http://orthopedics.about.com/od/herniateddisc/g/bulge.htm

In a lot of cases disc bulges don't cause symptoms and are incidental findings on MRI's. The thecal sac is the outer covering of the spinal canal, sometimes disc herniations or bulges push on the sac, this doesn't generally cause symptoms either unless the indentation is fairly significant.

So according to your report, you have mild disc bulges at C3-4, 4-5, 5-6 and 6-7 which are mildly indenting the Thecal sac, it doesn't specify at what level, or if its referring to all levels.

Okay your symptoms, headache, pain in your neck to your arm and into your hand. Do you have any shoulder or upper back pain, is any of this pain stabbing or electrical type pain?  It's clear from your symptoms that one of your disc bulges is pressing on a nerve. How old is this MRI? Are you being treated by a Doctor, what have they done so far.