Back & Neck Community
Chronic Severe Neck and Shoulder pain spread to spine and arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Throughout my life I have suffered several injuries to my back, neck, and shoulders. For 17-18 years I have had to cope with moderate to severe pain in those areas. Well, over a period of about a week, the pain has become increasingly worse and almost intolerable. It has especially become worse after having it rubbed and deeply massaged. It is tender to the touch! The source of all the pain seems to be coming from a spot in the shoulder blade that feels like an egg and pops and makes crunching noises. It leads through the shoulder socket to  to the top of my right arm and also to the tip of my spine at the base of my neck, into my neck, and throughout my collar bone and sternum. My spine is swollen at the base of my neck. Sometimes, if I move my arm or shoulder a tendon, muscle, or ligament rolls across my bicep painfully and makes a popping sound. My collar bone pops too. Right now it hurts to talk and move and breathe. When I turn my head, it feels like something large in my neck and shoulder needs to pop back into place as though it were getting caught on something. The bonesa themselves hurt too. I have no idea what it could possibly be! It feels very serious! I don't have medical insurance and am very close to going to the ER anyway. Any idea what it is, does our need to be treated right away, and how in the world do I get past the pain? Lortabs and talwins and tylenol do not help at all! Plrase help me!
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include inflammation, degeneration, re-injury, neuro-muscular/ structural issues, spinal causes, growths/ masses etc. Also without a diagnosis at hand it would be difficult to suggest a management plan. It would be best to have this evaluated by a primary care physician or preferably an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!