Back & Neck Community
Chronic knot in back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Chronic knot in back

Hi all,

Approximately 6 years ago, I had a knot in the left side of my upper back, under teh shoulderblade, that would not go away no matter what I did (massages, heat, etc).  I went to my doctor who said it was a pinched nerve in my neck.  Now, she never had me go for ANY tests, she made this diagnosis in her office.  She prescribed...someting, I forget now (lol), and the knot went away.  

Over the years it has flaired up, but not enough to worry me, just for like a day here or there.  I just figured I had done something that day to trigger it.

For about the past six months, however it has been coming back almost weekly.  And the pain now radiates to my head, and I occasionaly get a very slight tingle in my pinky and ring fingers.  I have been hesitant to go to the doctor again, because the last time, I feel nothing was done but putting a band-aid on the problem, instead of fixing it.

Any thoughts on what is happening?
i had similar knots and pain in the right arm and numbness in the index and middle fingers>>turned out to be bulging discs in the neck< but not until i suffered a full heniation did i come to find this out...may want to visit an orthopedic
it sounds myofascial/postural--- i think you need to stretch your scalens/pecs/scms and strengthen the rhomboids w shoulder blade pinching exercises
Hi there:

I had a similar problem for years and years...  I went regularily for massage but my therapist couldn't coax the knots out to any point of satisfaction for me.  I thought it was ONE knot near my shoulder blade.  However my massage therapist was leaving town and she suggested I use a backnobber II while she was away...  Oh how wonderful this tool is!  I discovered not one knot but a friggin bundle of knots - I was horrified.  From what I know we store toxins in our back as knots and unless the knots are addressed they will remain there eternally.  I also had a few knots under the other shoulder blade, not as many as my right side.  I was in constant discomfort and I did start feeling the pain going up to my neck area.  I've booked an appointment to have some myofacial release, I understand there are approximately 10 layers of fascia and muscle in that area.  I think I've got layers of knots going on...  ick...  If you get the back nobber you can apply as much pressure on the spot you want ...  Be sure to drink lots and lots of water while you use the nobber because you are essentially releasing toxins into your sysem and will need to flush them out, or you'll feel like ****...   oh yes, and limit your coffee and alcohol during this time or it will have a horrible affect on you.  Hope this helps...  

Thanks for that information.  I have MS and struggle with knots in my left shoulder all the time.  There is a huge knot(s) I'm dealing with right now and feel like cutting them out, because the pain is bad.  I drink lot of water now and drink very little coke or any dark drink for that matter.  
With my problem this knot has been in my left shoulder for a couple of years and has worsened over the last few months. I do not believe has to do with my MS and doctor's try to pass it off to my MS. Maybe I should try out that "Nobber".  Where can I buy one and I've been trying to think how to use it myself.  I don't think I would be able to apply the correct amount of strength to do any good?  How do you use that tool?

I'm not familiar with a back knobber; I'm wondering if it's the same thing as the Theracane I've heard about.  I know that the Relax the Back store sells them, possibly some physical therapy offices, or medical supply places.

alc777, you might try googling Relax the Back and see if you can find the store's website; I just got their catalogue, and it had a picture of the Theracane, showing someone using it.  I'm sure it comes with instructions, too.
Hi there:

Sorry I haven't been on for awhile.  Google backnobber and it will pop up.  It's an S shaped device and it's fairly easy to use.  If you can't apply pressure you can also lay down and use your own body weight.  When I first used it I was sure to drink lots of water because the release of toxins made me feel sick and needed to be flushed out.  After drinking the water I felt fine.  Pressing the knot will be painful, but it's a good pain.  You find the knot and then apply pressure for 30 seconds or more now and then, my  knots took about 2-3 weeks of application.  Eventually the knot also known as energy cyst will release and that's when the toxins are released.  Google energy cysts and myofacial release therapy.  

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes.
You also might want to search youtube for backnobber....
Sounds like you have a small penis, better not get into any situations where you may have to expose your genitals
Hi everyone :-)

I've been dealing with neck/pain/shoulder pain/knots for awhile.  I am currently off work due to spasms that were very painful at the beginning of August.  I ended up ordering a theracane off ebay & found that to be helpful.  I am undergoing therapy weekly and it hasn't completely gone away.  I am hoping to press for further diagnostics to find the origin...but am doing my best to follow the stretching exercises I have been given.

I saw the nobber & thought about ordering it but the thera cane has nobs on it, not sure if I would need the nobber, however it is smaller & easier to carry in my purse when I go out..so it is tempting to get it..

I have been a passenger in several  car accidents, but the worst was 2 yrs. ago when I was driving and someone tried to turn left to beat me out at a light while the light was green for me to go straight.  I hit at 40 plus miles a hr and have had "bone pain" since....Doctor mentioned that word...fibromyalgia and prescribed "noretriplyine" to help sleep.  However I am off it due to a couple of reasons...GERD reaction/it seemed to make ears worse with pulsating/shrill pitched noises....so dealing with that in addition to the neck/back pain.  I feel it as I sit here typing but am trying to stretch more.  I am trying not to slouch as I walk & sit.  

I will look for ideas on how to deal with this & keep the posture straight.  I hear the "popping" noises when I turn my neck to the sides, especially the right.  When the therapist massages, she can hear them too.  What is that?

:-),
Donna

I  have had complete relief with accupunture.  It will cure the pain.
I am a bookkeeper and the knots come back if I continue to do desk work.
I have had surgery to correct scolosis throughout T1-T12  which consists of a herrington rod placement, 30 years ago. Have had chronic neck, back, hip pain since.  I recently had cervical surgery placing discs thru C5,C6, and C7.  My neck pain feels better as far as the pain in my bone. But I'm experiencing some burning pain in my right shoulder and a hard knot under the shoulder blade that hurts so, so bad.  My husband tries to rub it out but nothing seems to help! I don't know usually even know its there until its touched and then it sends me through the roof.   I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to help.  I have a restricted lift of nothing over 20 pounds and walking, standing, sitting at any lengths at all are a problem. Just wanted to share my story with someone else.  I know there has to others out there that has had or does have some of the same symptoms that I'm experiencing.

Thank you,
Donna