Back & Neck Community
Chronic pain in Back/Shoulder area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Chronic pain in Back/Shoulder area

I've had chronic pain in my right shoulder for 18 months now...firstly it was thought to be a dislocated shoulder because of the popping noise it made once it first occured, but this was ruled out after x-rays, and second time round, after it again "popped", it was diagnosed as a blood clot to the lung..which again was ruled out the day after I got to hospital.

The pain mainly started near the shoulder blade, but in recent months, especially the last few weeks, the pain has spread down my back, and up into my neck - and I wake some mornings a week with pins & needles in my hand & sometimes I notice a slight numbness in my upper right arm.  I've been getting slightly wheezy in the last week, and it hurts to breathe most of the time, with a sharp pain around the side of my breast bone.

I'm in pain everyday with this, and since it's been going on for so long, it has only gotten worse and I am really starting to deteriorate...doctors don't seem to have any idea what is wrong at this point. I've been taking anti-inflammatories/painkiller.... i.e Co-Codamol, Diazapam, Valium... and although they have made me feel "relaxed"...NONE of them have ever actually took the pain away.  I have been instructed to take up swimming, exercise, and some massage...all of which I have undertook...all of which have not helped in the slightest, if only to make it worse!

I'm really at a dead end here - any suggestions are welcome.... and any likely consequences etc. that might become of the problem..

Also - it feels like it's perhaps a vein/nerve...
Thanks!
you possibly need neck spine MRI check.Take care!
i know you said it was ruled out, but i've been reseraching Rib subluxation and from what i can tell, it doesn't show up on X-rays. I'm going to got my doctor and get exrays for my back pain as well, but i think i may also try going to a ciropractor to see if they may help in case it is an issue with my rib.
my sister had similar symptoms and after going to a physiotherapist it turned out she had dislocated a rib which didn't show up on any x-rays. The physio manipulated her and popped it back which gave her almost instant relief other than being a bit tender for a couple of days.
Hope this helps and good luck.