Back & Neck Community
Chronic severe headaches after cervical spine fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

SEARCHING FOR RELIEF!!! I had cervical spine fusion at C6-7 (and other procedures at this same level) in October 2006. Approximately six months postoperatively I started having severe headaches almost daily. I have tried every over-the-counter medication there is for headaches with no relief. The only relief I get is from Norco (narcotic pain medication). I don't want to live on pain medication, but that is the only thing that allows me to work and live without being in constant agony from the headaches. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this same problem and if and how they got relief. I'd like to stop taking the pain medicine but at this point I don't see that happening. My doctor is of absolutely no help and I haven't been back to see the surgeon who performed the surgery since.
hey i had a 3 level in 2006 and still in pain can't work as well, had a lamenctomy at same level 2 months later. i never had headachs before or after although they always asked me if i ever had them . ya know it might be worth geting an appoi,ment back with this surgeon to see if somthing else has cropped up  just to b on the safe side.when ur foolin with the cervical region i just get very nervious there. if nothing is wrong he will just likely send ya to ur pcp dr or pain mgnt . it very well could b migraines ya think . but i definetly would see about the app. though . best to ya
I had a three level cervical fusion at C5-6, C6-7, and C7-T1 in Aug, 2007.  I also have experienced recurrence of Headaches, neck pain, and shoulder pain.  I just was to see my neurosurgeon yesterday.  We discussed how healing is not complete, but we also discussed how we feel that the level above facet joints are most likely the cause of my symptoms since the MRI was good.  He suggested a different prescription med, but he also requested I get a joint injection to try to relieve the pain.  If successful, this can be repeated when needed and he also mentioned a possible procedure to stop the nerve signal.  However, he also stated that while it is too early to give up on relief, it is also possible that this might be what I have to deal with because he would not do surgery.  The pain is caused by the increased movement of the upper level now that the lower levels are fused.  This was definitely not what I wanted to hear, but I will remain hopeful.  I am unable to do housework or anything physical without increasing my discomfort and needing to lie down for several hours.  Good Luck. Jo Ann
I had an MRI March 3 and I'm going to see my neurosurgeon March 20. I still don't know the cause of the headaches, but my physican said the MRI was very concerning so an appointment was set up that day with my neurosurgeon. I too have pain between the shoulders, neck and occasionally down my left arm with cold and/or hot sensations in my left arm, but I can actually bear those pains; it's the headaches that get me down and make me miserable. I hate to hear of anyone else having to endure this kind of pain (or any pain for that matter), but it is somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone. My husband tries to understand, but just doesn't have a clue, however, he is supportive and caring.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why but when you think you're the only one miserable and in pain it makes life so lonely, or at least it does for me.
I have had reconstructive cervical fusion at 34567 Levels, and I have weird occipital head pain which travels towards the top of my head and cause cervogenic headaches! It makes Migrane (migraine) headaches a cake walk!  My doctors say it is in which what occurs after such a serious fusion!
This was my 5th surgeryon my neck. I went into a windshield in 1989, and have had this issue for a time!  Thank God , for pain killers! I am a medically retired fitness director, and I am Blessed that I have the best Dr. (cedars Sinai) and I am alive!