Back & Neck Community
Compression Fracture T1 Vertebrae

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Compression Fracture T1 Vertebrae

I'm a 31 year-old male, not overweight, and physically active.  I recently had two episodes of relatively severe lower to middle back pain.  The first time, it lasted about two days, worsening to a point a which I was unable to sleep.  My health care professional wanted to rule out kidney stones and ordered a KUB series of x-rays.  They were negative but the doctor wanted me to follow up with a full set of spinal x-rays based on some degeneration the radiologist noted.

I had another episode and ended up getting the full set of spinal x-rays that indicated a compression fracture in the  L1 vertebrae in addition to degeneration in L3/L4 vertebra.  I'm going to see the ortho-spine specialist this week.  

Looking back on it, I've noticed a couple of other symptoms, most notably left hip pain and left jaw pain.  I'm not sure that either of these are related.

In all of the research I've seen, compression fractures are caused by one of three factors: trauma, osteoporosis, or pathological.  I haven't had any accident that I would think could provide the force necessary to cause a fracture so I'm pretty sure the cause is one of the other two.  Either osteoporosis or pathological causes are kind of a concern.

Does anyone have any experience with a non-traumatic compression fracture of the L1 with a fit male in my age range?  Any feedback is much appreciated.