Back & Neck Community
Constant neck stiffness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Constant neck stiffness

Hello everyone, I have been having neck stiffness for about 3 weeks now. there is really no pain (maybe a 3 out 10 sometimes) my neck is just always "hard". It's ussually on my right side and it's the most tight where my neck muscle connects to my chest/collar bone. Just yesterday I also got it on my left side and sometimes I get throat tightness also ( around my adams apple area) but it doesn't cause any breathing problems. I don't have a fever or nausea. I do however sometimes feel a weird throat sensation when I swallow. I suffer from anxiety, have bad posture when I'm sitting down and sleeping. I also had thyroid exams done recently (still waiting for results) so it may be the thyroid or just my bad posture. I was wondering has anyone had neck stiffness for a long time. If so for how long? Any Help out there to figure out why this is would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, I've had constant neck stiffness since 1984. Read the post "loss of voice" I just moved it to the top of the forum, it has my story. This should not happen to you so don't get worried. I would find a cold laser at a P.T. office, it's great for spasms and soft tissue, it helps me and if it helps this neck it should help others also. Try spinal decompression or traction at a Chiro's office or P.T. most all P.T. have traction but probably not like the decompression machines at the Chiro's office. You really need to get this stiff neck under control chronic spasms and stiff necks can cause serious problems left untreated. Keep us posted!

Hope I Help