Back & Neck Community
Continued back and leg pain after 3 1/2 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I injured myself at work in late January and I have been seeing the WC doctor employeed by my employer for my injury. I had an MRI 6 wks into injury - (minimal retrolisthesis {grade 1} of L5 and S1, small left paracentral disc protrusion in close contact to the left S1 root which appears to be mildly dorsally displaced, suggestion of mild mass-effect on the left S1 root).  An EMG done a few days later showed probable mild severity, subacute, left L5 radiculopathy. I have done oral steroids, percocet, flexeril, naproxen and lyrica, as well as rest, physical therapy (16 sessions over 9 weeks), and two steroid injections. I am continuing to have pain in my back, but also my nerve issues are getting worse. I have greatly decreased sensation in my left foot, which stays numb and tingly all the time, as well as tingling in my butt, thigh,and sometimes into my calf. I have also experienced tingling in my testicles as well as difficulty starting urination, and weakness in my left leg, causing me to stumble frequently. All of my tingling and numbness has gotten worse since my 1st steroid injection. I finally got a referral to a neurosurgeon who said that the MRI (that was done prior to worsening of my symptoms) showed that I was not a candidate for surgery. We discussed my symptoms and I am going to have a myelogram next week to check for nerve compression. After 15 weeks of conservative treatment, with worsening symptoms, I feel that my only hope for releif is surgery, but I'm concerned that I will still not be considered for surgery - mainly because I am worker's comp. I have been in and out of work during this time and I have missed about 10 weeks of work so far. Are there any suggestions or hope from others who may have been in similar situations?
I am no doctor by any means but I also have back problems. My suggestion to you is demand to get a 2nd opinion from a doctor not working for them. If you are having tingling and numbness and things like that those are all symptoms of your syotic nerve being pinched. Especially if it is when you pee and stuff. My doc told me if that were to happen to me to go immediatly to the ER because your kidneys may be failing. If it is your syotic nerve you def need surgery you don't need to mess around with that!
Good Luck!
I agree, get a second opinion fast! I had the microdisectomy with nothing but severe leg pain X 3 months.  Turns out I had a massive herniation and they ended up taking pictures in the OR. I was the talk of the town for a while..(I work at the hospital i had the surgery at.) Anyway, nerve compression with no improvement alone is enough for surgery let alone involvement with bladder and bowels.  You need to talk to someone else fast! Let us know what happens.
I had a myelogram on 5/16/07.  I don't go back to the doctor until 5/24/07 for the"official results", but I have a copy of the radiology report from the hospital.  I was wondering if anybody knew how to put this information into "plain english" so that I have a better understanding of the results and can prepare questions for my doctor's appointment.  Report states:  A 2 mm retrolisthesis of L5-S1 is noted. The L5-S1 disc causes mild ventral compression of the thecal sac. There is no convincing nerve root sleeve amputation. Mild loss of disc space height at the L5-S1 and a prominent rudimentary S1-S2 disc.  There is a 4mm left paracentral focal disc protrusion contacting both traversing S1 nerve roots and slightly posteriorly displaces the traversing left S1 nerve root.  There is no neural foraminal narrowing.  No instability was found.
Do these results explain why I am having so much difficulty with tingling numbness, etc?
It says you have a herniated disk among other things.  Also there is some compression on the ventral thecal sac and that needs to be addressed.  I believe that has to do with your bladder problems.  I would be aggressive with your treatment (I wish I had been more aggressive with mine) and don't let them sucker you into physical therapy and epidurals if the pain is too great.  Surgery is warranted if you daily life is disrupted by the pain, or bladder or bowel is involved( that is emergency surgery).  Make sure you get taken care of and not pushed around.  This is your back and you have to have it and use it the rest of your life.