Back & Neck Community
Could back pain be internal organ

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Could back pain be internal organ

For over a year now I've been seeing a Back Specialist - my PCP sent me to them after an MRI with failry normal results - exceptions being low key arthritis and a cyst around L4 or L5 (I can't remember).  Over this time, they've prescribes various meds - vicodin, oxcycodone, flexeril, gabapentin, naproxen, etc - these I've taken one or more consistantly for over a year.  In the last few months I've been off medication of any sort for the most part - on occassion a vicodin or oxcycodone when really sore and hard to function.  I'd like to avoid any more meds unless they are needed to fix the problem.  

In the last 4-5 months I've noticed some additional pains and was wondering if perhaps its not been back pain, but, something else going on with me that causes the back pain.  My PCP hasn't done ay tests other than blood and the MRI.  Recently, I've been extremely hungry, eating a lot of food all day long - however, I don't excersize and I'm not gaining weight.  

As well, my organs feel like something is growing and pushing them out of the way.  My back pain is also right around the bottom of my rib gage - on both sides, but, mostly on my right, which feels like its inside of my rib cage and it's all day iriitating / burning pain - it almost feels like I have a side ache as well and it "feels" cold on occassion.  When I lay down to sleep at night and wake in the morning the pain/irritation is not present at first, but, once I start moving around its there.  

My bowel movements have been all over the place as well.  Most of the time I think I'm constipated, my stool has been anywhere from really dark it looks almost black, to multi-colored to "normal" and is usually in pellets.  I would like to think this is related to the medications, but, since I'm not really taking any now I'm not so sure.  When I do go, I usually don't feel like I've gotten it all out as well.    

I've been extremely bloated lately as well, I can get up in the morning and drink a cup of coffee and look like I put a meal down at the same time, my stomache sticks out pretty far.  During this time, my monthly mentrual  has been very bad - very heavy bright red bleeding that come out in streams when I use the restroom.  I have very bad cramps as well.  It s not my usual cycle.  I also get occassional sharp pains around my stomache area - on the left and right side.  During intercourse with my husband I get sharp pains as well inside my uterus on the right side, probably around my ovary area.    

Keeping all this in mind, I'm wondering if this is due to stress on top of normal back pain, or, if perhaps something else has been happening that has led to back pain as a symptom.  Please advise on the right doctor to see - last time around my PCP said I had excess acid in my stomache causing all this, but, didn't do any tests.    

I've done numerous pregnancy tests and they are all negative.  
First of all, I would see a OB/GYN,  when was your last female exam?  If you are over the age of 40, they will do a rectal to screen for blood in the stool.  Tell them your symptoms, this may be all female related.  Even if you are not 40, they may still screen you for blood in the stool.

Second, the OB/GYN will probably refer you to gastroenterologist or internal med. if it is not related to female problems.  

But I would definitely get this checked out.  Don't postpone it either.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Thank you, I am not over 40 and I do have an appointment with my OB/GYN for a couple weeks out.  I'm hoping to get answers then.  However, on top of all this, in the last day I've been getting additional sharp/stabbing pains in the center of my body just below the rib cage in the front.  They seem to be random in nature.  

In all I'm hoping a couple weeks out is okay to wait.  Are there particular signs/symptoms I should seek immediate care for?  
Depends on how much you are bleeding, how painful your pain is, etc.  If you are really worried, get on a cancellation list OR go to an urgent care or ER.  But here are some more questions, do you get sick after eating anything greasy?  Try this, let out your breath, push your fingers up under your right rib cage then take in a fast hard breath.  If the pain is really intensified, it MAY be your gall bladder.  I would definitely see a Dr. sooner than 2 weeks.  I am concerned and jealous about you not gaining weight with eating all the time too.  Be assertive with the Dr. offices, the staff up front will respond if you are assertive.  Good luck.
Sounds like IBS and swelling of the intestine will push on your organs and cause pain .
as well as heavy bleeding .
good luck
Similar signs as the top post by a lady yet I am a male - 40year old.

In the last 2 days I've noticed some pains on both sides of my lower back. Its a constant niggling pain, not muscular as its always present even when lying down.  

Like hers, "my organs feel like something is growing and pushing them out of the way.  My back pain is also right around the bottom of my rib gage - on both sides, but, mostly on my right, which feels like its inside of my rib cage and it's all day iriitating / burning pain - it almost feels like I have a side ache as well and it "feels" cold on occassion.  When I lay down to sleep at night and wake in the morning the pain/irritation is not present at first, but, once I start moving around its there." This paragraph is exactly as how i feel too?  
And the same below:

"My bowel movements have been all over the place as well.  Most of the time I think I'm constipated, my stool has been anywhere from really dark it looks almost black, to multi-colored to "normal" and is usually in pellets.  I would like to think this is related to the medications, but, since I'm not really taking any now I'm not so sure.  When I do go, I usually don't feel like I've gotten it all out as well. "  

I've been extremely bloated lately as well.

Any ideas for me on the above?
I have the same symptoms. I had a scope done (looking into stomach, throat etc.), a gall bladder dye type of test and an MRI. The MRI showed 3 bulging discs. My doc says this is what's causing the pain. I've had it since December of last year. He recommends physical therapy and going to a pain management clinic. In other words, there's no magic way to make this go away. Wish there was, it affects every waking moment doesn't it?
Please get second opinions - no alarm to be caused, but I had the same symptoms and at 35 was diagnosed with stage 3-C ovarian cancer. It took them 6 months to find it. I kept on complaining and they had me to a gastroenterologist. I started having such stabbingpain attacks o my lower back that I would be crawling around on the floor. During one of those, I went to the hospital and they found it. They said if I hadn't been persistent, that it could have easily turned to Stage 4 and I would be gone. I have survived 12 years. Run, don't walk to get tests done.
PLEASE tell me you had not visited your OBGYN and he overlooked the cancer???? I have had excruciating low back pain since fall 2009 it is persistant all day, no position offers relief. It is obviously not muscular and/or spine related. (although, I do have additional pain from the SI joint). I am worried, it has gotten worse in the last number of months and now I rarely leave the house. I turned 40 last July and thought it may just be "age" at first, but now I know its not. An xray showed nothing but due to cost I have not had an MRI. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in the past but this is different. Now last night I "started" again after only 14 days, well I thought I did but after a day there is no more bleeding......I am worried. Money, is the main reason for lack of Dr visits but I don't think I have a choice at this point. I know that deteriating disc etc....would just be something they would treat the symptoms for but if its something else (female related) then I NEED to worry..........?????
Did you ever figure out what this pain is from? My symptoms are exactly the same and I can't find anyone to help.
Wow, I've been dealing with the bloated, expanding insides feeling for awhile now. Thought it was a lump under lower right ribcage and ct or colonoscopy or blood tests etc. show nothing. It does feel like something is getting larger inside and pushing things around etc. I have noticed that i get acid stomach from diet. I always thought it seemed gi related. did show slight diverticulosis, not itis, in my descending colon, guess it could be inflammatory intestines or similar. Dropping milk and eating better and cutting coffee dosage into less that half seems to have made the feeling easier to take for now, and less noticeable. It does drive one insane when your sitting in an upright chair and this lump sensation is right there constantly. Let's keep this going with updates, my dr. doesn't seem worried in the slightest after the negative test results I've had. Makes me wonder if he's the right dr. to treat me  with this problem. I wasnt really aware that your intestines could become inflamed.  Makes perfectly good sense.
Btw, Im a 43 yr old male with pretty much the same story, eat much, varying bm types. Already for years a low back mid stage disc deterioration situation.
Ive been having the same sym. For the last two months but its mostly on my left side.mid back I have the growling and everything that has been mentioned...im only 29 im really freaking out