Back & Neck Community
Cracking and Creaking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Cracking and Creaking

I've had moderate scoliosis since before I was a teenager and have always needed to pop my back and neck to stay mobile and relieve pain. People have told me it's not natural and it sounds painful (which it is) but I'm a stiff hunchback leaning to the left until I crack as many little bones as I can (several times a day).
For the few years (I'm 24 now), after popping my back, I hear a loud creaking sound whenever my spine moves or rotates. It sounds like a combination of fluid being squeezed from one place to another. In addition, if I tilt my head or rotate my back past a certain point I hear I loud high pitched squeal or ringing in my ears as well. The ring especially scares me because sometimes it's shockingly loud and I feel it throughout my body.
I live in the United States so my back pain is listed as a 'preexisting condition' on my insurance since I couldn't find an elite job immediately after college and was off coverage for more than six months. That being said, what are the least expensive options I have (i.e. not surgery or weekly chiropractor visits)?
I know you cannot give an official diagnosis without an evaluation but I'd appreciate any ideas you have on what might be causing the sounds and/or my back pain. Thank you.