Back & Neck Community
Crunching/grnding noise in neck afrter massage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I just got a massage yesterday, I've had many, but afterwards I developed this crunching/grinding sound in my neck after it was worked on..sort of like the sound of sand or grit..like all the muscles in the back of my neck are snapping/popping like rice crispies. My massage therapist said this does happen some times and that it would clear up in a few days.

Why do I fear I am going to have this for a long, long time.

I only say this because I wonder if the tissue was injured somehow, and this is some sort of inflammatory reaction..which is weird because I've had dozens of neck massages without anything like this happening.

I'd like to hear from those who have had this (no pain in involved) and who were able to resolve it. Thanks!