Back & Neck Community
DIRECT FALL TO LEFT SIDE (Hip, Back injury) HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

am 25 female who slipped and fell landing on my left side almost 1 1/2 years ago. I landed primarily on the hip, elbow, and slamming my leg.

My first concern when I fell was my neck and right shoulder because they were previously injured and I have pins in the shoulder due to open stabilization surgery. I did not have immediate pain but when I woke up I had exteme pain and could barely walk. I went to ER and an x-ray showed I chipped the left hip at the outside of the socket. I was told it may be previous injury but I have never had so much pain in my hip my entire life before this injury. I was not put on crutches until the second week due to the left elbow pain, and previous right shoulder injury.

I was told the "chip" was no big deal and the back could be causing the pain. So I was sent for an MRI of the back and it showed bulging disks from L2-S1, mainly at L4-L5 and a radial tear at the same level.

My treatment has included cortisone shot in the hip without relief. An Epidural Steroid Injection into L4-L5 L5-S1 without relief. A negative EMG and QSART test. Many months of PT to realign my SI joint without benefit. The use of a SI belt without relief due to the pressure it causes and the fact I do not stay aligned. I have seen a hip surgeon 8 months after injury who does believe I can still be having hip pain. I have also seen two back surgeons who are afraid to do surgery because it is a multi level injury and it is not specific what the direct cause of pain is.

Even though I have been told the hip pain is caused by the back it is my belief that I have separate injuries because my pain is in two separate areas and patterns. Around my SI joint the pain goes into my butt and down the back of my thigh into my lower leg to the big toe side of my foot. The pain I believe due to my hip injury goes from around the socket, into the groin area, and down the outside of my leg into my knee and continues down the outside of my calf. I have a lot of pain sitting, walking, and climbing stairs. Usually laying down gives me relief but often I cannot get relief. I have been prescribed 1/2 of 5mg Loritab at bedtime for the pain but it does not give me relief. Many times I cannot walk for more than 1/2 hour or be in a vehicle and even that long puts me out of commission for the rest of the day. I also walk with a limp and at times have to use crutches to take the weight off my hip.

I am looking for any advice or information that may help me with pain relief. I am also wondering if there are any tests that may help in diagnosing the injury correctly
Tags: direct, Pain, elbow, hip pain
I had a very similar accident and have been through several years of dr.s, surgeries, pain, suffering and am now, after much research on my own and some dr.s who have really listened and helped am doing better--I've still got a journey ahead of me but would happy to share some of my experience if you are still having troubles.

Falling on my low back, "toward" the left hip, in 1998, was the first of 3 times/injuries, that began my "back problem journey", and what a journey it has been.  

my advice is get some MRI's, and have many doctors look at them.