Back & Neck Community
Discectomy/laminectomy post surgery pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I just had discectomy/laminectomy surgery about a month ago on my L5/S1 disc due to herniated disc with nerve impingement.  I was doing great up until about 1/2 a week ago.  During that time I had been back to work for a few days and just started physical therapy as well as began to wane of the meds.  Just Friday I started having flare ups in the nerves, almost to the point where I was back to the point prior to the surgery (not walking, sitting, sleeping and in excruciating pain).  I noticed that my hip on the side of the surgery started getting stiff and pain spikes occurred.  I've felt good about the surgery to this point but this recent set back has got me fretting a lot.  Has any body experienced this before?  Should I go back to my doctor?
It would be beneficial to notify your doctor of the recurrent symptoms.  It sounds as if you had a partial discectomy and laminectomy (otherwise you would have had a fusion).
Returning to work may have just irritated the nerve roots, but there is also the possibility of further herniation of disc material which would need to be evaluated by your surgeon.
The increased activity with work and physical therapy may be the only related problem and no additional disc problem may exist, but it is best to be evaluated to prevent any further complications.
Keep us posted and hopefully you will find resolution soon.
Best wishes ----
I am scheduled to have laminectomy fusion L5 9/10/2010....I have no problem with the surgery itself, but most everything I have read on other forum boards is negative, this is scaring me a lot! Is there anyone out there from Tucson AZ so I can talk to you about which surgeon you had and the what to look fors afterward? PLEASE RESPOND
youngster65