Back & Neck Community
Do I need surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Do I need surgery

I have disc degenerative disease and my vertabre is protruding into my spinal cord at c4 & c5. It is 13mm at the widest and down to 8mm at the smallest and going to c6 at 9mm. I am going to see a surgeon in 2 weeks. I would like to know if this is a major concern or if I didnot have surgery if I would be worse off with a blow to that area. I guess I want to know what my percentages are.
Hi John
This reads a little different from you other post. These sound like wedge fractures to the vertebra, not disc protrusions like the other post. I got one wedge fracture 20 years ago after a car crash, and 2 more in the past few years because I have osteoporosis. I lived with the first one for 10 years without it being a problem , though it hurt like hell for a month or two. The other two have now become an isuue because the tendons and all the soft tissue around that normally hold the vertebra are put under strain they were not designed for. I just has the results back for a full MRI, and am going to see my surgeon in 3 weeks. Perhaps we can comare notes since we have similar background (excuse pun). If you go for surgery make sure the guy is a back specialist, its surprising how these ortopaedic surgeons specialise. When my shooulder went crook, I went to my ortheopaidic surgeon ,and was surprised when he handed me off to another one saying " he the best man for shoulders, Im only specialze in backs. I have to say that all the surgery I have had in UK under NHS has bee first class, and its nowhere as frightening as it seems. This one Id really like to know what you chap reccomens, since Im going to see my specialit in 4 weeks to discus what my last MRI show. Ive deteriorated badly this winter , not keeping fit and active, so now Im crusified with pain all the time. Another very sucessful treatment Ive had is cortizone injections in the spine facet joints. This keeps me going for about18 months, but it expensive because it has to be done in theatre so he can see exactly where the needles sre going. From experience, I would not be at all concerned if you trust you man, to have the surgery. Gage me about 20years improved life quality. Hop all this helps