Back & Neck Community
Do My X-rays Show Cause of My Neck/Back Pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

At my last Dr. office visit, I mentioned that I get upper-back and neck pain, that sometimes transmits into my shoulders and arms. So, my doctor sent me for spine x-rays.

I would like to know if these results I post following below, could be causing my pain episodes (also stiffness)? I just turned age-50 and am male.

Page 1. "Mild boney degenerative changes in the lumbar spine" (mild degenerative endplate and degenerative facet changes are present)

Page 2. "Mild boney degenerative changes in the thoracic spine" (mild degenerative endplate and degenerative facet changes are present)

Page 3. "Mild boney degenerative changes in the cervical spine" (mild degenerative changes in the lower cervical spine)

Page 3. also notes this: "Mild disc space narrowing and endplate changes are present at the C6 - C7 level.

Now my doctor wants me to go for an MRI and I'm wondering if these x-ray results merit doing do? Plus my first question above, as to whether or not these finding could reveal the cause of my back stiffness/pain?

Thank you!
Hi!
Yes, degenerative changes can cause pain and stiffness. There is nothing much which you can do to stop the degenerative process except undergo physiotherapy and adopt as active a lifestyle as you can.
Usually, physiotherapy and occasional pain killers help most people do better with respect to pain and stiffness. A MRI is usually done to see if there is cord or spinal nerve compression.
If you do not respond to physiotherapy, then yes, you will require MRI and nerve conduction studies. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!